Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #4,876 of 7,699
Thanks for your response Berkovajazz. I was pretty certain the IE80 would come out trumps against the RE-400 seeing as it's so much more expensive, but im not really looking for the better pair necessarily. Im just curious how they compare since I previously owned the IE80 and am familiar with it's sound, and im looking to get the Re-400 because it's cheap.

Source is a non-isse because I will be using a desktop amplifier with my IEMs, so plenty of power. Now you give it a 6.5/10, is this taking into account fit and isolation? On purely sound how would you rate them in comparison to the IE80? The senns probably have a thicker mid bass, but what about sub bass of both, and how would you compare their mids? Things like separation etc... Soundstage IE80 obviously wins.. and treble. How do those compare? and lastly do you think the price gap is indicative of the sound quality differences?

Sorry for the question bombardment, it's just that it's so hard to find any comparisons online. Thanks again!

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #4,877 of 7,699
  RE400 has more neutral sound, similar to a good BA IEMs like Etymotics (ER and HF). Sound is more thin, when IE80 has a big sound with a large and open soundstage. RE400 depends more to the source, while IE80 sounds good even from mainstream players, i mean that RE400 loves powerful sources. RE400 sounds pretty good with metal and speed hard music, IE80 are not speedy IEMs and they have got problems with hard guitar music. For my ears i don't find a perfect fit with both, isolation is not good in both too, about 6.5 from 10 points.My vote for IE80.

Are they really that bad with Hard Rock? I listen to it alot and am expecting my IE80's at anytime.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #4,878 of 7,699

Are they really that bad with Hard Rock? I listen to it alot and am expecting my IE80's at anytime.

yeah... its a driver prob.. do u expect the driver to deliver that quantity of bass while to be fully agile? nah... its just IE80's cant keep up with lots of fast instruments.. even if so the out come will be a little bit shadowed ( not over powered , but over thik ) .. cuz of such a focus on bass drivers are pretty slow.. but hard rock wont be much of a problem , unless your going to listen metal.. so far the only genre it failed is Metal.. so yeah for others  they are just breath taking. Almost on par with e westone 4 with the tape mode...

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #4,879 of 7,699

yeah... its a driver prob.. do u expect the driver to deliver that quantity of bass while to be fully agile? nah... its just IE80's cant keep up with lots of fast instruments.. even if so the out come will be a little bit shadowed ( not over powered , but over thik ) .. cuz of such a focus on bass drivers are pretty slow.. but hard rock wont be much of a problem , unless your going to listen metal.. so far the only genre it failed is Metal.. so yeah for others  they are just breath taking. Almost on par with e westone 4 with the tape mode...

Thanks very much, Sylaw. Got it :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #4,880 of 7,699
For a good rock, metal, harcore (etc) genres we need IEMs with a very good and detailed mids.
Sennheiser IE has muddy mids, so we can't hear a good guitar growl, for example what we have in Westone UM3x, Etymotic ER4, Shure 535, Hifiman RE0, HiFiman RE400, Vsonic R07 and others, because they've got super mids while different in characters. Senn IE growl on a lot of sources and tracks are like dirty harsh, what is not true sounding. Also Senn IE are slow, rock/metal phones should have a good speed.
RE400 has deeper bass, sub bass. Mids are more opened with a just a very little cloud, while IE80 has a darker cloud on the mids. Cloud of IE80 is a good thing to get a good sound from mainstream players like iPod to hide digitality of not top-tier dac inside this player. That is why we can get a very good synergy without top-tier player or amp. With RE400 it is harder, they will show all the skills of your source, and if you love your iPod (for example) they will show what your player can do and what not. Treble is better on RE400 too, it is longer and more detailed. Soundstage is better on Sennheiser, vocals with IE80 too. HiFiman RE400 has more details in all spectrum, even like BA IEMs. Sennheiser IE80 has a big and interesting sound, RE400 sounds thin and neutral.
6.5 from 10 it is comfort and isolation. 
Sound signature is quite dfferent, but i like Sennheiser IE80 more. Cons: price.

PS
Has anyone tried Sennheiser IE60? I was trying them just for a couple of minutes in a shop. They were better in mids for rock/metal music, also they were more comfortable than IE80.
Want more information:)

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #4,882 of 7,699
  For a good rock, metal, harcore (etc) genres we need IEMs with a very good and detailed mids.
Sennheiser IE has muddy mids, so we can't hear a good guitar growl, for example what we have in Westone UM3x, Etymotic ER4, Shure 535, Hifiman RE0, HiFiman RE400, Vsonic R07 and others, because they've got super mids while different in characters. Senn IE growl on a lot of sources and tracks are like dirty harsh, what is not true sounding. Also Senn IE are slow, rock/metal phones should have a good speed.
RE400 has deeper bass, sub bass. Mids are more opened with a just a very little cloud, while IE80 has a darker cloud on the mids. Cloud of IE80 is a good thing to get a good sound from mainstream players like iPod to hide digitality of not top-tier dac inside this player. That is why we can get a very good synergy without top-tier player or amp. With RE400 it is harder, they will show all the skills of your source, and if you love your iPod (for example) they will show what your player can do and what not. Treble is better on RE400 too, it is longer and more detailed. Soundstage is better on Sennheiser, vocals with IE80 too. HiFiman RE400 has more details in all spectrum, even like BA IEMs. Sennheiser IE80 has a big and interesting sound, RE400 sounds thin and neutral.
6.5 from 10 it is comfort and isolation.
Sound signature is quite dfferent, but i like Sennheiser IE80 more. Cons: price.

PS
Has anyone tried Sennheiser IE60? I was trying them just for a couple of minutes in a shop. They were better in mids for rock/metal music, also they were more comfortable than IE80.
Want more information:)

uh dude .. IE80's do not have muddy mids.. that's just they are laid back than the highs and lows ( legendary sennheiser vail). by the way SE535's have pretty muddy mids. it over powers the  spec with excess amount of mids when it shouldn't sometimes( most will agree to me on this ) .. and I get it 80's are pretty slow .. that's why they cant keep up with fast phase music. still re400's arnt reliable for such good resolution on fast phase music.. at this price point of IE80's W4's are the way to go if u like lot of fast phase music. Remember IE80's and W4's detail levels are the same. yet since w4's have a better separation and due to its mid forward sig it shows u details even better..

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #4,884 of 7,699
  lol. I'm confused now. I definitely don't want muddy mids.

I have no idea what
  1. Berkovajazz is trying to tell.. but take my word it dosent have muddy mids at all.. its just pushed away abit to give you a better soundstage.. get it? :p im sot a sennheiser fan boy at all, yet im a westone fan boy lol.. what ever if Berkovajazz says his IE80's have muddy mids , Def his ie80s have faulty drivers XD

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #4,885 of 7,699
Maybe the laid back may seem to made them muddy but with a bright source or treble boost they are great and not muddy for sure.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #4,886 of 7,699
Sep 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4,887 of 7,699
Maybe the laid back may seem to made them muddy but with a bright source or treble boost they are great and not muddy for sure.

Yes, laid back mids will be better. But they still have a cloud on mids. It is not so dark and heavy like on UE TripleFi, but mids are laid back with a little cloud. Bright source is a good pair for Sennheiser IE. I love Sennheiser IE80 with CD-players. From digital players they are perfect with iHiFi812 and iHifi960 i was trying this combos and i was really amazed.

As for W4 it is quite different IEMs with another sound signature. As for Westone fun boy, my favourite IEMs are still UM3X, shake your hand!:)

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #4,888 of 7,699
Originally Posted. by Berkovajazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yes, laid back mids will be better. But they still have a cloud on mids. It is not so dark and heavy like on UE TripleFi, but mids are laid back with a little cloud. Bright source is a good pair for Sennheiser IE. I love Sennheiser IE80 with CD-players. From digital players they are perfect with iHiFi812 and iHifi960 i was trying this combos and i was really amazed.

As for W4 it is quite different IEMs with another sound signature. As for Westone fun boy, my favourite IEMs are still UM3X, shake your hand!:)

beerchug.gif

um3x is an great iem and i found it to be a great partner for ie80. everything ie80 do the um3x do things differently which is great depending on the mood :D . Best player for the ie80 is in my opinion the studio v. It really shows the potential of this beast. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #4,889 of 7,699

beerchug.gif
hand shaken :) I was amazed when u said the 80's mids are muddy :p that's just sennheisers house sound bro.. even hd650 has the same issue.. IE80's are my EDM , ambient , Dubstep , experimental , lounge , popular music IEM :) and W4's + ex1000 and er4's are for the fast phase music such as metal , goa , some dubstep variants :p  so as you can see most of my head time is spent with the IE80's... sennheiser has a magic in there sound to attract you and feel more cozy :p while westones always feels like home :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #4,890 of 7,699

beerchug.gif

um3x is an great iem and i found it to be a great partner for ie80. everything ie80 do the um3x do things differently which is great depending on the mood :D . Best player for the ie80 is in my opinion the studio v. It really shows the potential of this beast.

I was wondering what to do , to go for a mid centric amp or for a studio v? what amp options are there for me around 200$? I knw 80's are very easy to drive, but to give a pretty mid boost a mid forward amp may be a good  idea ? may be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back