Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #4,306 of 7,699
Yeah I thought it may be the mastering but then why would it sound fine on the HE-400 and not so on the IE80, that's what gets me. I would say I listen to them at similar volumes.

Take for example Florence - Breath of Life, some parts sounded really shrill on the IE80, not so at all on the HE400.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #4,307 of 7,699
I've been playing around with the very generous EQ settings on rockbox and found that the fatiguing elements of the IE80's can be tamed down quite well.

just got JVC eargels in the mail, will try these out and comment on fit.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #4,308 of 7,699
Quote:
Yeah I thought it may be the mastering but then why would it sound fine on the HE-400 and not so on the IE80, that's what gets me. I would say I listen to them at similar volumes.

Take for example Florence - Breath of Life, some parts sounded really shrill on the IE80, not so at all on the HE400.

Hmm I'm not sure as I never heard the HE400 before? Unless maybe the HE400 has characteristics that smooth over unforgiving tracks? If so that isn't a bad thing depending on ones application (although I'm not sure if that is the reason). But then again the IE8/IE80s themselves tend to be forgiving on harsher tracks....

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #4,309 of 7,699
I wouldn't call the HE-400 forgiving, quite the opposite actually. It has a treble peak which can be grating at times too, but for the most part it's totally fine. From what I remember though, the IE80 was also non-fatiguing most of the time, it was just a select few tracks in my library which hurt a little. These two stick out for me, maybe you could give them a listen to see how they are for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0EVEXX9kpk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTM9x-fEMwo

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #4,311 of 7,699
Quote:
I wouldn't call the HE-400 forgiving, quite the opposite actually. It has a treble peak which can be grating at times too, but for the most part it's totally fine. From what I remember though, the IE80 was also non-fatiguing most of the time, it was just a select few tracks in my library which hurt a little. These two stick out for me, maybe you could give them a listen to see how they are for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0EVEXX9kpk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTM9x-fEMwo

Both tracks don't seem to be that bad. The second one is more so than the first one but nothing major. Now at high volumes I could see the second song becoming rather fatiguing. I'm listening to these tracks on the Flat 4 which are most definitely brighter and more aggressive than the IE80 (detail monsters even).

Well I take it back. Later in the track it does get noticeably more harsh due to the guitars. I could see why that track would be fatiguing for sure.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #4,312 of 7,699
Ah right I forgot you sold your IE80. Yeah the second track was pretty bad with the IE80 throughout, on the HE-400 not at all. The first track only a little on parts where her voice goes higher, again not at all with the Hifiman.

Anyway I just wanted to see if im alone here because most people on this thread say how the IE80 is smooth and unfatiguing but from my memory it wasn't so.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #4,317 of 7,699
Quote:
Clear tape over the bass tuning screw.

this way is not recommended... i have tryed this... but yet the mid bass hump wont tame up... u have to cover the entire faceplate.... i know it cuz i a/b 'ed it for a while..  covering the knob might reduce the hump a bit but it wont do as good as covering the whole surface 

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #4,318 of 7,699
Hmm well just putting tape over the bass port worked for me.... I also left the bass port on minimal settings. Not sure if that played a roll. But there was a lot of bass still just not much of any mid bass :).

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #4,319 of 7,699
Quote:
Hmm well just putting tape over the bass port worked for me.... I also left the bass port on minimal settings. Not sure if that played a roll. But there was a lot of bass still just not much of any mid bass :).

exactly... blocking only the Bass knob will provide some leaning... yet applying the whole faceplate do better ( least considerably) . i believe it may hold against the chamber vibration... causing atmosphere to be stiff...  no tech expert here.. yet im assuming. 
biggrin.gif

From what i hear i can say that these IE80s are way better than my W4s.. more transparent & bit of a extension on lows .. i was always a Mid head though.. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #4,320 of 7,699
can I have some picture, cuz English is not my mother language

Users who are viewing this thread

Back