Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #3,841 of 7,699
Quote:
And way more expensive. At least 60% more...

Actually I got my former pair of EX1000 for less than I paid for my IE80s. Still the flaws I heard on the IEM didn't make me feel it was better than the IE80 even without the tape mod. The treble spikes I got from the EX1000 was atrocious and made it sound like garbage to my ears. Still most will disagree with me but there are others other than myself who also confirm the treble spike issues. So I am not alone on this. On the other hand the MDR-7550 (next in line to the EX1000) doesn't exhibit any of the issues I had on the EX1000 and is noticeably better than them IMO :). More bass quantity, better mid-range and treble that I can listen to without pain :wink:.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #3,842 of 7,699
hi, neophyte to the audiophile game. was considering these, the westone 4 and shure se535. how are these for classical and vocals? I keep getting advice back and forth between these and the shures

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3,843 of 7,699
Quote:
hi, neophyte to the audiophile game. was considering these, the westone 4 and shure se535. how are these for classical and vocals? I keep getting advice back and forth between these and the shures

Very good in classical. Vocals aren't bad but you can turn them into mid-centric IEMs with the tape mod.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3,844 of 7,699
Ok. I have tried JVC tips. These are shorter and wider than originial Sennheiser single flame tips. For me it doesnt work. The best fit I could find is still the comply foam... And after trying many tips I can say, even if u think, u found the perfect seal, u might not... Probably thats the reson for the negative comments about IE80, simply they didnt find the perfect seal... The difference between 90% and 100% seal can make 200% difference in sound quality... 
 I have good seal with comply... Just dont want to buy every month another 3 piece set... So I might go for customs...

The other thing: I started to like tape mod. I loved the increased mids and highs at the first time. But I thought most of the bass has disappeared... Like u put a blanket on the sub woofer... But after listening a while, I started to hear, there is bass, when necessary... It just doesnt rule the whole soundscape...

And the device you use also makes huge differences... There is no sense to talk about EQ, each and every headphone requires some other setting... There is no sense to talk about the quality of an IEM, if u dont have a proper source...

Enjoy music. :wink: 

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #3,845 of 7,699
Quote:
Ok. I have tried JVC tips. These are shorter and wider than originial Sennheiser single flame tips. For me it doesnt work. The best fit I could find is still the comply foam... And after trying many tips I can say, even if u think, u found the perfect seal, u might not... Probably thats the reson for the negative comments about IE80, simply they didnt find the perfect seal... The difference between 90% and 100% seal can make 200% difference in sound quality... 
 I have good seal with comply... Just dont want to buy every month another 3 piece set... So I might go for customs...

The other thing: I started to like tape mod. I loved the increased mids and highs at the first time. But I thought most of the bass has disappeared... Like u put a blanket on the sub woofer... But after listening a while, I started to hear, there is bass, when necessary... It just doesnt rule the whole soundscape...

And the device you use also makes huge differences... There is no sense to talk about EQ, each and every headphone requires some other setting... There is no sense to talk about the quality of an IEM, if u dont have a proper source...

Enjoy music. :wink: 

Aww so you are warming up to it bestula :wink:. I felt the same way within a couple hours of usage. When you revert back to stock the IE80s will sound horrible. Because the mid bass will cloud everything, even the treble lol. Also regarding the source you are also right. That is why I never felt my IE80s were lacking bass on my DX100 or Studio V. Still tons of impact, almost too much :p. I never thought about it but actually they complies may work better with the IE80 after the tape mod. Although you'll still get more treble extension and cleaner bass with good fitting silicone if you can find them. I know there are some Panasonic ones that I hear work really well on the IE80s. Not sure if that is worth a shot or not. I no longer own my IE80s as I sold them for the Heir 8As.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #3,848 of 7,699
Quote:
lol funny how when I sell mine you go back to it ;P. Well the 1Plus2 will most likely get you putting them all away lmao :wink:.

Im a little surprised you sold yours Lee, you were always the face of the IE80 thread to me haha. What were the reasons for selling btw?

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3,849 of 7,699
Quote:

Im a little surprised you sold yours Lee, you were always the face of the IE80 thread to me haha. What were the reasons for selling btw?

Heir 8A.

My pair will have this same faceplate design.

My shell with be dark smoke with the same clear tips as this IEM.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3,854 of 7,699
Aww well if I take them off they go into my pocket (pocket is kept empty other than those IEMs so I'm not worried about damaging them. The Heirs on the other hand I am not comfortable with taking those out. The looks may draw too much attention but more so the isolation is what really has me bothered with that. I can't risk my life for dangerous isolation :wink:. I think my Sony MDR-7550s would draw more attention though than the Heirs due to their weird look lol.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #3,855 of 7,699
Quote:
Aww well if I take them off they go into my pocket (pocket is kept empty other than those IEMs so I'm not worried about damaging them. The Heirs on the other hand I am not comfortable with taking those out. The looks may draw too much attention but more so the isolation is what really has me bothered with that. I can't risk my life for dangerous isolation :wink:. I think my Sony MDR-7550s would draw more attention though than the Heirs due to their weird look lol.

Yeah, that's why I never wear IEMs when I go outside for jogging. Always earbuds at low volume :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back