Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jan 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #796 of 7,998
Quote:

Yeah, I got that one. Just wondered which genres you think are more average and easier to get right?

Pop, R&B, Rap, Hip-hop, Country, 80, 90, most mainstream music these days. Older music from the 50s to 70s could be more of a hit or miss depending on the equipment and synergy. But still I think Rock is one of the hardest to really get right. Lots of variables that will make Rock sound off lol.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #797 of 7,998
Quote:
Pop, R&B, Rap, Hip-hop, Country, 80, 90, most mainstream music these days. Older music from the 50s to 70s could be more of a hit or miss depending on the equipment and synergy. But still I think Rock is one of the hardest to really get right. Lots of variables that will make Rock sound off lol.

Just guessing, but maybe rock happens to be one of your preferred genres, so you just have the clearest conception of how it should sound. Other fellow member who're experts for other genres would probably say the same for those. Most of the genres you mention use similar instruments and recording techniques, so it's hard to imagine why rock would be more difficult to get right on an objective scale.

That said, I do like the IE800 with rock... for the most part. I think they've got great drive, rhythm and crunch. Just wished the crash and rides had a tad more weight.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #798 of 7,998
Quote:

Just guessing, but maybe rock happens to be one of your preferred genres, so you just have the clearest conception of how it should sound. Other fellow member who're experts for other genres would probably say the same for those. Most of the genres you mention use similar instruments and recording techniques, so it's hard to imagine why rock would be more difficult to get right on an objective scale.

That said, I do like the IE800 with rock... for the most part. I think they've got great drive, rhythm and crunch. Just wished the crash and rides had a tad more weight.

Rock tends to have a lot going on in terms of space within the sound stage in comparison to a lot of other genres. So in that things can get rather cluttered or congested if the gear is not up to par. I do have a preference for rock but I also have a preference for all of those other genres as well. Besides country :wink:. Even playing Rock music from other sources is still hard to get to sound "right" lol. I feel the same in regards to playing it in the car, even from the radio. Also note there is a lot of different types of rock as well. I feel when listening to Rock in the car it tends to sound quite harsh in the treble and bass can be a  bit overpowering depending on the tracks. Even using EQ in that scenario things won't sound right. I've just always found this particular genre to be difficult to sound really good. But I've found that perfect combo. Happens to go well with most music as well besides rock :).

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #799 of 7,998
Quote:
Rock tends to have a lot going on in terms of space within the sound stage in comparison to a lot of other genres.

You're not talking about the "Two Guitars, Bass and Drums" kind of rock, are you? 
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #800 of 7,998
Quote:
Nice. Rock is a bit harder than your average genres to get right on IEMs :).

The IE800 does a great wall of sound and it also does well with rock that has cleaner instrumentation. It has good pace and rhythm. Add in bass slam that goes deep, it is quite a fine rock headphone.

In other words... It rocks!  
size]

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #804 of 7,998
anyone has the heir 4ai/3ai to compare the ie800s with? I am planning on either of the 3 and I have no idea which one I should get :<

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #805 of 7,998
Tried out the IE800 outside today. The comments on it masking outside noise with the low rumbling bass are all spot on. It´s a bit scary how you can´t even hear a car pass by. Maybe the guys speculating about the tuning being made partly in order to make these sound better outside are right. It also feels great to have cold air move enter the ears. The earplug feeling with armature IEMs just isn´t there in the same way. 

One other thing: the attention-demanding sound signature, especially the mids kind of masks the microphonics. Sure microphonic noises are there, but you can´t really concentrate on it much due to your mind moving to follow the lyrics/mids almost automatically. It isn´t perfect, but better than I expected.

PS: +1 for the rock genre comments. Walls of sound have nice depth, the drivers have no problems rendering all the layers correctly. Drums have nice kick to them, especially the lower bass ones. My Ultimate Ears 700 (got them for 50 euros at Amazon, nice deal) sound extremely boring now. All in all the sound signature is coherent and well separated (although not all that airy) without the common multi-armature driver sound where different instruments sound as if from different speakers (which they often are). The midrange is never blurred and appears out of nowhere, even in the middle of a wall of sound. Genres that thrive on dynamics such as rock/electronica sound very nice in low volume too, which is very rare in my experience. Actually the midrange might sound even better then, as the deep bass rumbling isn´t as prominent. The background is blacker then so the vocals seem like they appear even more out of complete darkness in a way that actually sounds similar to electrostatic earspeakers.

PPS: my IE800 also makes an audible mini spring-like click if I press on the shells. It doesn´t happen when I just move my head around. Not sure if it happens when music is playing, can´t seem to hear it at least. I can only hear it when music isn´t playing. Seems to happen more easily on the right driver, but also happens on the left one if I press the right way. Doesn´t bother me at all though and I actually have a feeling it´s a harmless/by design side effect of the driver stabilization/venting system or something similar.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #806 of 7,998
Quote:
Tried out the IE800 outside today. The comments on it masking outside noise with the low rumbling bass are all spot on. It´s a bit scary how you can´t even hear a car pass by. Maybe the guys speculating about the tuning being made partly in order to make these sound better outside are right. It also feels great to have cold air move enter the ears. The earplug feeling with armature IEMs just isn´t there in the same way. 

One other thing: the attention-demanding sound signature, especially the mids kind of masks the microphonics. Sure microphonic noises are there, but you can´t really concentrate on it much due to your mind moving to follow the lyrics/mids almost automatically. It isn´t perfect, but better than I expected.

Out of curiosity, are you listening at quite high volumes? Hong Kong is very noisy and the IE800 seems like two different IEMs in quiet and noisy environments....

Thanks...

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #807 of 7,998
hmm... i just simply tried it about 3 hours ago in my local dealer.

This ie800 not bad, can hear it easily layer by layer of the instruments which is good separation. Warmer sound signature compare to UERM, it won't fatigue your ears, good for long hours listening. It was like a mini dynamic headphone, "wave" extension... hmm... not bad. Good isolation, but not as good as custom made. Less sensitive compare to UERM, veiled compare to UERM, laid back compare to UERM... it could be improved by adding an amp... hmm, down to personal preference.

and a short cable length though..

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #809 of 7,998
^ Informative video. Thanks!

There is no suggestion of different lower cable choices, just the ability to replace the included one if it breaks. If that really is the only reason for the two-part cable and clunky connector, I think that it is a poor design choice (one of several in relation to the cable). 

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #810 of 7,998
Yep agreed, I'm not a big fan of the two part cable set up on the IE800's, although Axell did mention off camera that the stress testing of the cable shows that it is 3 to 4 times more durable than most of their earbud cables - can't remember the actual figures that he quoted in thousands, but it was quite high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back