Sennheiser IE80 vs Chi-Fi
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tail

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I own a pair of Sennheiser IE80. Friend bought KZ ZSX and I tried them, just to be amazed at how 7 times cheaper iems almost match mine and even surpass them in some aspects. ZSX sounded clearer, more detailed and precise, and bass even tho described as "boomy" and "veiled" was more controlled with less bleed to mids than my IE80.
They have their own flaws tho. IE80 sounds more natural, with less piercing highs and vocals were more natural and lifelike, ZSX also had mids a bit too far back for my taste. Also that sub-bass "feel", that lowest possible slam was better with IE80.

Anyways, ZSX isn't worthy replacement for my IE80 but it could be a nice sidegrade for certain music. However, I've started to read about Chi-Fi in general and saw that CCA C12 is basically same config as ZSX just with a bit more natural and less piercing highs and slightly more forward mids and it might be actually a direct upgrade to my IE80. Then I've read about Blon BL-03, and TRN V90, and so on... Now I can't decide which to buy.

TLDR:

Have you heard Sennheiser IE8 / IE80 / IE80s and any of the following chi-fi models:
  • Blon BL03
  • TRN V90
  • CCA C12
  • GuideRay GR-i
Any comparisons, recommendations, comments are much appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Hey guys!

I own a pair of Sennheiser IE80. Friend bought KZ ZSX and I tried them, just to be amazed at how 7 times cheaper iems almost match mine and even surpass them in some aspects. ZSX sounded clearer, more detailed and precise, and bass even tho described as "boomy" and "veiled" was more controlled with less bleed to mids than my IE80.
They have their own flaws tho. IE80 sounds more natural, with less piercing highs and vocals were more natural and lifelike, ZSX also had mids a bit too far back for my taste. Also that sub-bass "feel", that lowest possible slam was better with IE80.

Anyways, ZSX isn't worthy replacement for my IE80 but it could be a nice sidegrade for certain music. However, I've started to read about Chi-Fi in general and saw that CCA C12 is basically same config as ZSX just with a bit more natural and less piercing highs and slightly more forward mids and it might be actually a direct upgrade to my IE80. Then I've read about Blon BL-03, and TRN V90, and so on... Now I can't decide which to buy.

TLDR:

Have you heard Sennheiser IE80 (or IE8 / IE80s) and CCA C12, Blon BL-03, TRN V90? How would you compare them? What would you recommend? Any comparison, headsup, comments between any of these earphones is very welcome! Thank you!

Hi friend, I don't have the Sennheiser IE80, but I do have the IE80S.
Honestly, in the last 2 - 3 years, the CHIFI industry has really caught up to or surpassed the budget-midfi Western segment, in providing good sound at a fraction of the price. TBH I find the IE80S quite muddy and having poorer isolation/resolution than some modern day sub $50 USD CHIFI.

I answered your question partially in the BLON thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blo...ressions-thread.916702/page-122#post-15370070
The KZ ZSX/CCA CA12/TRN V90 are multi BA/hybrids, so comparing them with DD IEMs like the BLON BL-03, and the Sennheiser IE80S is comparing apples and oranges - see above post for more details.

So it depends what music genres you listen to and your preferred sound signature as the DDs and multi BA/hybrids have their inherent strengths and weaknesses. At the budget-midfi pricing, there's gonna be a trade off between natural timbre/tonality, bass decay/subbass extension (generally better in DDs) and details/clarity/instrument separation (generally better in multi BA/hybrids).

If you want to compare the IE80S with other CHIFI single DD (which is a fairer comparison for same transducers), these are my impressions (I haven't listened to the IE80S for a long time so this is from memory):
1) BLON BL-03 - better timbre/tonality than IE80S, but IE80S might have better technicalities (instrument separation, clarity, details). IE80S is bassier, and has a tuning dial. The stock tips +/- cables are bad fitting due to the short nozzle of the BL-03, so most people need aftermarket tips +/- cables to get a better seal. OOTB most folks find the sound underwhelming with improper fitting tips. Check out the BLON thread for more details.
2) BLON Cardinal - technicalities thereabouts. IE80S still bassier. Better isolation in Cardinal. Cardinal not as muddy in the bass frequencies as the IE80S.
3) TFZ no. 3 - subbass/bass thereabouts, quite a basshead set. Technicals are better on the TFZ No. 3, but it is brighter than the IE80S on upper mids/treble regions. Can be fatiguing due to this. Better isolation than IE80S.
4) Toneking Ninetails - has 2 tuning filters to give 9 different tuning options - can be basshead, V shaped, neutralish tuning, hence very versatile. Soundstage wider than IE80S but poorer isolation (i thought the IE80S isolation was already poor to start with). Not as bassy as IE80S even on most basshead tuning filter option. Clarity/techinicalities thereabouts.
5) Semkarch SKC CNT1 - has 2 tuning filters, one more neutral sounding, one more basshead. IE80S is still bassier. Technicalities thereabouts.

Bear in mind these single DD I have listed above won't be able to beat the KZ ZSX/CCA C12/TRN V90 in technicals. There are some single DD IEMs that are > $100 USD with good reviews like the Moondrop KXXS and Tanchjim Oxygen and JVC HA FDX 01, so maybe worth checking those out (though I don't have them).

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 10
Hey Thanks a lot for answers both here and in TRN thread! I know that they are different cos of driver configurations but I am not 100% sure which sound I'd prefer and they are all about the same price and all 3 were within the very best in that price range from what I've read. Also I loved KZ ZSX that friend bought, so I actually might like that sort of sound better than of single driver. However, ZSX wasn't exactly better than IE80 so I am not sure.

I listen to everything pretty much so I can't really decide based on music. Mostly any variation of rock, from rock n roll to heavy metal but I also listen jazz and vocal jazz, classical music, soundtracks from games and movies as well and pop from times to times. Rarely listening to electronic music and rap, but sometimes that too, especially during workouts. I can describe sort of what I think I like comparing ZSX and IE80.

What I liked in IE80 more:
  • Deeper, fuller vocals with more presence, they sounded more lifelike and incomparably better overall. KZ ZSX sounded somehow shallow and thin in comparison, most extreme examples are Adele "Hello", "When we were young", it was night and day
  • A bit more bass overall, that lowest sub bass slam that I enjoy
  • More natural and realistic highs, even tho not as detailed, but not far either, they seem to be smoother and easier to listen to as well. ZSX were a bit fatiguing with loud rock for an hour, and also some instruments sounded a bit weird. Not sure how it's called but that drum metal thing sounded weird with ZSX
  • More realistic for classical music. Piano sounded more like an actual piano, had those deeper notes while being sort of thin in comparison with ZSX (like children's toy piano), also with violin example Mariko Senju - Winter, Vivaldi, it simply sounded more like a violin on IE80, had that 'tone' while being too thin on ZSX
What I liked in ZSX more:
  • Cleaner, tighter, more precise bass, didn't interfere with lower mids as much. For example songs like "I see fire" from Ed Sheeran and "She will be loved" Maroon 5 sounded much better on ZSX, with IE80 ~150-400 Hz approx were almost vibrating, rumbling in head completely veiling vocals and made acoustic guitar sound too thick and weird, hard to explain for me. ZSX were very clear and easier to listen to in that regard. So I guess I loved that there was less mid-bass bloat/veil, "bleed" into mids, which is also the weakest point of IE8/80/80s
  • More detail (resolution, precision, articulation? not sure about the term) especially in highs. Everything simply sounded cleaner
I understand that both configurations (single DD vs hybrids) have their own strengths and weaknesses, but I'm trying to find sort of best jack of all trades, since I listen to everything, and I value both natural sound, that "timbre" and feeling, and detail and clarity, and it depends on music I listen to as I listen to a lot of stuff. Bottom line if I don't like the earphone I buy that much I can just use it during workouts and for songs that they do better than IE80

As for Blon BL-03 vs IE80s, you mentioned Blon have better tonality and timbre, I think that's what's most important for vocal quality? How is mid bass bloat/veil comparing these two? Is Blon as mid bass oriented and rumbling as IE80s or it's a bit clearer in that regard? I am worried cos sometimes deeper vocals, especially if there is some bass instrument at the same time IE80 can basically cover voice with bass, that "bleed" into mids. Also are highs as extended with Blon as they are with IE80? I could live with a little bit less clarity if there is not as much mid bass veil, and if highs are not too recessed.

For KZ ZSX/CCA C12/TRN V90 I've only heard ZSX. I would prefer a slightly fuller vocals and a bit more natural sound. Highs could sound a bit weird with ZSX and vocals were often a bit too shallow. I've read that C12 has a bit more natural and tamer highs, and slightly more forward mids - so I guess it's directly better than ZSX for what I'd like. What's your opinion on this? Also TRN V90... I know it's much closer to ZSX/C12 than single DD ones (so won't compare it with them), but in comparison with ZSX, does it sound more natural with better fuller mids? Are highs a bit better since ZSX had them a little bit too harsh and unnatural for me?

Bottom line I'd love ZSX with a bit fuller and natural mids with better timbre (doesn't have to be as good as single DD ones, jut a bit better than ZSX) and a bit more natural highs, however if neither C12 nor V90 are at least a bit better in that regard, maybe I'd simply pick Blon for sound that is closer to my IE80, as long as it doesn't have that huge mid bass bloat/veil that IE80 have.

Thank you very much for answers and explanations! :)

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 10
Hey Thanks a lot for answers both here and in TRN thread! I know that they are different cos of driver configurations but I am not 100% sure which sound I'd prefer and they are all about the same price and all 3 were within the very best in that price range from what I've read. Also I loved KZ ZSX that friend bought, so I actually might like that sort of sound better than of single driver. However, ZSX wasn't exactly better than IE80 so I am not sure.

I listen to everything pretty much so I can't really decide based on music. Mostly any variation of rock, from rock n roll to heavy metal but I also listen jazz and vocal jazz, classical music, soundtracks from games and movies as well and pop from times to times. Rarely listening to electronic music and rap, but sometimes that too, especially during workouts. I can describe sort of what I think I like comparing ZSX and IE80.

What I liked in IE80 more:
  • Deeper, fuller vocals with more presence, they sounded more lifelike and incomparably better overall. KZ ZSX sounded somehow shallow and thin in comparison, most extreme examples are Adele "Hello", "When we were young", it was night and day
  • A bit more bass overall, that lowest sub bass slam that I enjoy
  • More natural and realistic highs, even tho not as detailed, but not far either, they seem to be smoother and easier to listen to as well. ZSX were a bit fatiguing with loud rock for an hour, and also some instruments sounded a bit weird. Not sure how it's called but that drum metal thing sounded weird with ZSX
  • More realistic for classical music. Piano sounded more like an actual piano, had those deeper notes while being sort of thin in comparison with ZSX (like children's toy piano), also with violin example Mariko Senju - Winter, Vivaldi, it simply sounded more like a violin on IE80, had that 'tone' while being too thin on ZSX
What I liked in ZSX more:
  • Cleaner, tighter, more precise bass, didn't interfere with lower mids as much. For example songs like "I see fire" from Ed Sheeran and "She will be loved" Maroon 5 sounded much better on ZSX, with IE80 ~150-400 Hz approx were almost vibrating, rumbling in head completely veiling vocals and made acoustic guitar sound too thick and weird, hard to explain for me. ZSX were very clear and easier to listen to in that regard. So I guess I loved that there was less mid-bass bloat/veil, "bleed" into mids, which is also the weakest point of IE8/80/80s
  • More detail (resolution, precision, articulation? not sure about the term) especially in highs. Everything simply sounded cleaner
I understand that both configurations (single DD vs hybrids) have their own strengths and weaknesses, but I'm trying to find sort of best jack of all trades, since I listen to everything, and I value both natural sound, that "timbre" and feeling, and detail and clarity, and it depends on music I listen to as I listen to a lot of stuff. Bottom line if I don't like the earphone I buy that much I can just use it during workouts and for songs that they do better than IE80

As for Blon BL-03 vs IE80s, you mentioned Blon have better tonality and timbre, I think that's what's most important for vocal quality? How is mid bass bloat/veil comparing these two? Is Blon as mid bass oriented and rumbling as IE80s or it's a bit clearer in that regard? I am worried cos sometimes deeper vocals, especially if there is some bass instrument at the same time IE80 can basically cover voice with bass, that "bleed" into mids. Also are highs as extended with Blon as they are with IE80? I could live with a little bit less clarity if there is not as much mid bass veil, and if highs are not too recessed.

For KZ ZSX/CCA C12/TRN V90 I've only heard ZSX. I would prefer a slightly fuller vocals and a bit more natural sound. Highs could sound a bit weird with ZSX and vocals were often a bit too shallow. I've read that C12 has a bit more natural and tamer highs, and slightly more forward mids - so I guess it's directly better than ZSX for what I'd like. What's your opinion on this? Also TRN V90... I know it's much closer to ZSX/C12 than single DD ones (so won't compare it with them), but in comparison with ZSX, does it sound more natural with better fuller mids? Are highs a bit better since ZSX had them a little bit too harsh and unnatural for me?

Bottom line I'd love ZSX with a bit fuller and natural mids with better timbre (doesn't have to be as good as single DD ones, jut a bit better than ZSX) and a bit more natural highs, however if neither C12 nor V90 are at least a bit better in that regard, maybe I'd simply pick Blon for sound that is closer to my IE80, as long as it doesn't have that huge mid bass bloat/veil that IE80 have.

Thank you very much for answers and explanations! :)

Honestly, at the sub $100 or even sub $500 price point, it's gonna be hard to get one IEM that can ace all areas. At this price point, most IEMs excel at certain areas at the expense of other areas.
The good news is that CHIFI is so cheap nowadays (compared to just 3 years back) that most of us on headfi can afford to buy a few different $30 - $50 USD IEMs and dabble with different sound signatures for different music genres. Most of us have a multi BA/hybrid set and a single DD (or multiple sets haha) for different purposes/music genres.

For the TRN V90 vs CCA C12 vs KZ ZSX vs TRN BA5 (which are generally considered good bang for buck multi BA/hybrid side grades), it's best you ask the rest in these threads cause I haven't heard all of them:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/
Some folks there have heard all of these and would be able to advise further and in more detail.

For the question of the BLONs vs IE80S, the BLONs are a bit boomy at the midbass with some midbass bleed but the midbass bleed is less than in the IE80S. A lot of headfiers still think the BLON is muddy in the bass though. The BLONs as you know have suboptimal fit with the stock tips +/- cables, so a lot of folks are using different aftermarket tips which affect the bass to some extent. Amping also tightens up this flabby bass of the BLON.
With good fitting tips and a good source, the midbass bleed isn't that bad, and the bass isn't as veiled as the IE80S. However, the rest of the mids and trebles are quite veiled due to the BLON being tuned to sound analogish. Some people like it, some don't, but those frequencies are more veiled than the IE80S I would say. The BLONs upper treble has a rolloff too, around the same or less bright in the treble than the IE80S. If you are after more resolution/details/clarity than the IE80S, BLON is gonna be a downgrade IMHO. Plus the poorly fitting stock tips/cables would necessitate you having a stash of spare tips +/- cables lying around to explore for the fit, so it is not the best beginner friendly set if you wanna use it OOTB.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 10
I don't have direct experience with the brands/models you reference, but I've purchased chi-fi IEM's, and other chi-fi audio gear. In general, I do feel like they can be on par with the things they copied. However, I've found two things about chi-fi products. First, they have extremely poor QC and customer support. If you happen to be one of the lucky ones who got a working product, you scored! Otherwise, you're kind of screwed. Second, even the good products don't seem to last very long. I bought some $25 IEM's last year. They sounded as good as $200 ones, but broke this past summer.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 10
For the question of the BLONs vs IE80S, the BLONs are a bit boomy at the midbass with some midbass bleed but the midbass bleed is less than in the IE80S. A lot of headfiers still think the BLON is muddy in the bass though. The BLONs as you know have suboptimal fit with the stock tips +/- cables, so a lot of folks are using different aftermarket tips which affect the bass to some extent. Amping also tightens up this flabby bass of the BLON.
With good fitting tips and a good source, the midbass bleed isn't that bad, and the bass isn't as veiled as the IE80S. However, the rest of the mids and trebles are quite veiled due to the BLON being tuned to sound analogish. Some people like it, some don't, but those frequencies are more veiled than the IE80S I would say. The BLONs upper treble has a rolloff too, around the same or less bright in the treble than the IE80S. If you are after more resolution/details/clarity than the IE80S, BLON is gonna be a downgrade IMHO. Plus the poorly fitting stock tips/cables would necessitate you having a stash of spare tips +/- cables lying around to explore for the fit, so it is not the best beginner friendly set if you wanna use it OOTB.

From what I understood Blons should be a bit closer to IE80 than V90/C12 and would even be a downgrade in certain aspects, so I think I will rule it out for now and pick one of the hybrids for a bit different sound for certain music, and simply for testing purposes. Will buy them all, but since I already have 3 pairs of earphones even tho these are not expensive it's hard for me to justify basically throwing away 100$ for 3 pairs, so for now I just seek one alternative to my IE80 for certain music and workouts, and potentially cheap full replacement if I end up liking the sound more.

Still not sure if I should go for C12 or V90, but will do a bit more research and follow some of your advice! Thanks again!

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 10
EDIT: Adding GuideRay GR-i to the list of potential picks.

So now I am trying to compare Sennheiser IE8/80/80s to:
  • Blon BL-03 (26$)
  • TRN V90 (31$)
  • CCA C12 (33$)
  • GuideRay GR-i (49$)
I think Blon is out of the question (thanks baskingshark!) as it's supposed to be sort of similar single DD to Senn IE80 with slightly less bass bleed to mids, but also less clarity and smaller soundstage. Don't wanna choose anything above 50$ as that's the line where all the taxes are calculated in my country. Example: If it's 52$ I'd pay 71.3$, and if it's 49$ I'd pay 49$. Not to mention having to wait another two weeks extra at the border on top of all the taxes.

Any comparisons either between the two of any of the named earphones or even better comparison between Sennheiser IE8 / IE80 / IE80s with any of the named stuff is much appreciated! I can probably order two as well if it's not GuideRay. I just can't justify spending more for something that I haven't personally heard or that's more expensive than 50 (for me 70+ due to taxes) since I already have sort of decent earphones (IE80), but I'd love to try a pair or even two of the mentioned that even if I don't like as much as IE80 might use for workouts or something.

Oh and to mention that I got kinda decent tips (SpinFit C100 and stock silicon Sennheiser ones that are fairly decent) and that I can order a comfortable tangle-free cable so cable quality and tips quality don't have to be considered (since I know that CCA and Blon are supposed to have criminal cable and pretty bad eartips).

Thanks a lot for all the recommendations and comparisons!

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 10
Hey guys!

TLDR:
Have you heard Sennheiser IE8 / IE80 / IE80s and any of the following chi-fi models:
  • Blon BL03
  • TRN V90
  • CCA C12
  • GuideRay GR-i
Any comparisons, recommendations, comments are much appreciated! Thank you!

I am in the exact same boat as you are. I too have a Sennheiser IE80, being a long time Sennheiser fanboy since mid 2000s. I just received a KZ ZSN Pro today while the KZ ZSX I ordered is a couple days away.

I was totally blown away by the out of the box performance of the KZ ZSN Pro, its sensitivity is higher than my IE80, bass is 80% there in both quality & quantity when compared to the IE80 at the lowest bass dial setting. The mids & highs are far greater in amplitude than the IE80 but thin bodied & harsh.

Sennheiser tips fit superbly on the ZSN Pro & reduce the sibilance by quite a magnitude, the stock KZ tips have narrow openings making the sound more forced into the eardrum and thus harsh. With a lot of EQing on my phone to make the ZSN Pro match the signature of the IE80 I can say it is almost there with just 2-3 levels lower in quality.

But even that quality difference was noticeable only when conducting back to back listening sessions - I paid $300 for my IE80 & $25 for the ZSN Pro & it now feels like it mocks the IE80 for costing 10 times more.

I will put up a detailed review once the KZ ZSX arrives - so that I can compare the IE80 with both the KZ ZSN Pro & the KZ ZSX. Let's see what shock awaits.

Mar 10, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 10
I am in the exact same boat as you are. I too have a Sennheiser IE80, being a long time Sennheiser fanboy since mid 2000s. I just received a KZ ZSN Pro today while the KZ ZSX I ordered is a couple days away.

I was totally blown away by the out of the box performance of the KZ ZSN Pro, its sensitivity is higher than my IE80, bass is 80% there in both quality & quantity when compared to the IE80 at the lowest bass dial setting. The mids & highs are far greater in amplitude than the IE80 but thin bodied & harsh.

Sennheiser tips fit superbly on the ZSN Pro & reduce the sibilance by quite a magnitude, the stock KZ tips have narrow openings making the sound more forced into the eardrum and thus harsh. With a lot of EQing on my phone to make the ZSN Pro match the signature of the IE80 I can say it is almost there with just 2-3 levels lower in quality.

But even that quality difference was noticeable only when conducting back to back listening sessions - I paid $300 for my IE80 & $25 for the ZSN Pro & it now feels like it mocks the IE80 for costing 10 times more.

I will put up a detailed review once the KZ ZSX arrives - so that I can compare the IE80 with both the KZ ZSN Pro & the KZ ZSX. Let's see what shock awaits.
I have not heard the ZSN Pro but do have several KZ’s ZS3, ZS6, ZS10 and ZSX plus a few others and by far my favorites are the ZSX’s. For at or around $50 just a a very good bargain for the sound you get. I have not heard any Sennheiser iems other than a pair CX 2.00’s that I had several years ago so can’t compare with the IE80.

Mar 11, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 10
I have not heard the ZSN Pro but do have several KZ’s ZS3, ZS6, ZS10 and ZSX plus a few others and by far my favorites are the ZSX’s. For at or around $50 just a a very good bargain for the sound you get. I have not heard any Sennheiser iems other than a pair CX 2.00’s that I had several years ago so can’t compare with the IE80.

From what I heard of the $20-25 KZ ZSN Pro, these are worth many times more compared to IEMs from Western brands. Once you dial up the bass knob on the Sennheiser IE80 to level 2 (out of 5), the sub bass rumble that you can feel is levels above that of the ZSN Pro, but really, that is only me trying to justify the purchase of the IE80.

The KZ tips are absolute excretion & should not be used unless you stuff it with some cotton to filter out some treble sibilance, but really what the KZ needs is eartips with full width openings like the Sennheiser tips (see attached pic) & maybe some soft sponge filter (see the pic where I do that for the stock tip) since the mesh holes on the IEM canal has very large holes that let out uncontrolled highs on the ZSN Pro.

With some modifications like change of tips, cotton filter & perhaps a cable upgrade to 8 core or 16 core cable without an inline mic or even a balanced 2.5mm TRRS Cable to use with a balanced output DAC, am pretty much sure I will be able to make the ZSN Pro a replacement for my IE80 if am willing to sacrifice the insane bass features of the IE80 for an upgrade on everything else.

If this is the case with the cheap ZSN Pro - I wonder what might be the situation with the ZSX.

One thing though, the IE80 is far far far smaller & compact - it cleanly sits flush in my ear concha while the KZ ZSN Pro does no such thing, it hangs out of my ear concha, thus impossible to use with a motorcycle helmet or even a skull cap or a beanie cap.

Attachments

• 20200311_012704.jpg
    20200311_012704.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200311_011150.jpg
    20200311_011150.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back