Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #6,286 of 8,119
Using Complys for the IE8 made such a big difference. I  was using decored Olives, which were ok but the sound was a bit muddy. Then I tried the Complys......audio bliss. It felt like a different set of IEMs. And I really hate saying that, coz now I have to regularly buy Complys :frowning2:

So any recommendations of an amp for the IE8? So far a lot of recommendations are for expensive amps like Ray Samuels. How about iBasso T3D? Anyone tried that combo? The T3D looks like a fairly good priced and good sized amp for me. Just a matter of the SQ.... 

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #6,288 of 8,119
^ I think he meant that if you don't think they burn-in, then you won't think they could "burn-out" either.

(I was just interested in follow-up by others as this is the only iem I've ever heard anyone say anything about changing for the worse at 1000 hours or so.  But it seems as if a lot of people have been moving on to other iems.)

Just got mine last night, so I am seeing if they are what I am looking for.  If I like them I hope they won't change a bunch at 1000 hours.

Is it the Comply T-400 that people like?  I definitely don't want muddier!

Now I have to study/try different tips... 

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #6,289 of 8,119

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Could you rephrase your reply, please.

I was just being naughty as some have the belief that the IE8s only burn out :)

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #6,290 of 8,119

Quote:
^ I think he meant that if you don't think they burn-in, then you won't think they could "burn-out" either.

(I was just interested in follow-up by others as this is the only iem I've ever heard anyone say anything about changing for the worse at 1000 hours or so.  But it seems as if a lot of people have been moving on to other iems.)

Just got mine last night, so I am seeing if they are what I am looking for.  If I like them I hope they won't change a bunch at 1000 hours.

Is it the Comply T-400 that people like?  I definitely don't want muddier!

Now I have to study/try different tips... 

I haven't changed primarily cos' I don't wanna spend heaps on another and I'm happy with the IE8s so I don't see the need to change for a slightly different sound unless I'm upgrading upwards and that would mean full customs which will cost a bomb.

I'd like to test out the other IEMs, but I really don't see how they make that BIG a difference at the price range especially. I do know there are subtle differences, but yeah. I don't have the money to expand.

tips wise, you have to be careful, some really do muddy up the sound. I have the comply, but never fitted them in cos of the danger in breaking the IE8 tip so I've left it aside.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #6,291 of 8,119
^^^Thanks for your thoughts, I did just buy Comply but am doing alright with stock large single flange.  If I try the Comply I will try to be very careful.

I JUST got these.  I am beginning to like the IE8 more and more...a bit of treble boosting and some more mental burn-in to psychologically get over the "mid-bass hump" and I might just be happy. 
redface.gif

I would prefer wearing some iems down (I tried switching cable sides and wearing down but they don't seem quite right).

They are immediately great with some music and are growing on me.  Why do I feel like I NEED Coppers or those darn SM3???  Because of the reviews popping up everywhere!!

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #6,292 of 8,119

Quote:
^^^Thanks for your thoughts, I did just buy Comply but am doing alright with stock large single flange.  If I try the Comply I will try to be very careful.

I JUST got these.  I am beginning to like the IE8 more and more...a bit of treble boosting and some more mental burn-in to psychologically get over the "mid-bass hump" and I might just be happy. 
redface.gif

I would prefer wearing some iems down (I tried switching cable sides and wearing down but they don't seem quite right).

They are immediately great with some music and are growing on me.  Why do I feel like I NEED Coppers or those darn SM3???  Because of the reviews popping up everywhere!!

heh. go test them out somewhere if you can and see what you think of them.

and yes, I agree that the IE8s need a bit of treble boosting, but it is very much dependent on what tips you use them with to be honest. :)

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #6,294 of 8,119
Just received my IE8's today from fellow forum member leonWho, BNIB, sealed for an amazing $219, Leon said they were genuine and they most certainly are!

I can't comment about sound quality yet really but what I have heard is very encouraging. I have them burning in as I type! Looks like the double flange tips work the best for me, small in left ear and medium in right.

I tried them all and most seemed to offer good sound except the funny looking ones with the ridges which made the sound very thin. The double flange ones strike the balance well I think, detail and nice definition on the bass but again this was fresh out of the box!

Very impressed with the build and fit and finish, have to get used to wrapping the cable over my ears and the guides work but I have to get used to them. Very comfortable headphones and much better isolation from external noise than My C700's but no where near my old ER6i's!

Will report back after a bit of burn in but I will add one more thing. On Keb Mo and other tracks these headphones had my feet tappin!

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #6,295 of 8,119
I have had my IE8 for almost a year now and, since I listen to them every single day, can guarantee I have blown by 1,000 hours a LONG time ago. They still sound fantastic and I have definitely not noticed a degradation of sound quality. FYI.

I forgot to quote the question I was replying too...
"May I have everyone's current opinion on the "burn out" phenomenon (at around 1000 hrs)???

Even if you don't yet have an idea- is it because you can't really tell or because you have not had them long enough"

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #6,296 of 8,119
@ Sid-Fi, thanks for the vote against "burn-out."

That's great as I am really enjoying my IE8's and find them pretty malleable to EQ/Source/Tip fitting.

I can find them to vary sound and be pretty adjustable.  And if they keep the same qualities, I will get my money out of them.

@ianmedium congrats on the IE8 deal!  That's better than my HeadRoom open-box deal for $229.

Enjoy all...IE8 appreciation. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #6,297 of 8,119
Thanks so much CEE TEE!

I think folks maybe thought the deal was too good to be true but there was no risk at all as Leon offered full refund if they turned out to be not right!

I have had them burning in on repeat overnight so there is now a total of just over 17 hours on them and I have noticed a difference, especially in the speed of attack say on plucked guitar strings on Keb Mo's albums.

I have been experimenting even more with tips and now find for my ears the medium dual flange on the left and large dual flange on the right give the perfect balance of bass, treble and mid. I found voices to be ressesed with other ear tips but with this combination they are in their correct space, Bass firmed up nicely on the Eagles hell freezes over hotel California track. A few moments into the track the kick drum is joined by another percussive layer. On all the other ear tips for me that lacked detail, was one dimensional and muddy, with the set up now it has timbre and sustain and can be heard as a sperate entity aside from the kick drum.

On Yo Yo Ma's wonderful Appalachian journey album the first track, 1B, has all the instruments in their own space and the strings rich but not overly so, woody and natural. I actually find these phones compare very well with my Stax SR001's in that respect!

So, early on  I know and there is a long way to go until the sound is performing as it should but I find these headphones a really nice combination of some of the traits of both my 701's and stax, they will be perfect for my writing sessions in coffee shops!

A big thank you to Leon as well as his price was amazing and is a credit to the forum. Just glad I jumped in before anyone else and grabbed them!

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #6,298 of 8,119
So. A little more burn in has occured now, almost 60 hours and again, differences. The sound is really natural. In fact, head to head I would say that it is similar in many respects to my Stax headphones, there is space and an out of the head feeling but really good imaging.

I have been listening today to predomenently Opera, Wagner, Bartok and some Mozart. What I realized was that I was not listening to the headphones but the music! I know that is an odd statement, after all what is the point of headphones if not to listen to the music! What I mean though is that I was just listening to a natural sound and forgetting I was listening through an Ipod and headphones!

Soprano's voices are worth a special mention! So far only the Stax have been able to deliver and non tiring sound as far as this vocal is concerned, natural, spacious and yet defined really well, now these Sennheisers join that club for me. What was really interesting was that I can easily hear the singer move around the microphone which gave me an even greater sense of "being there!"

I know there is still a way to go with burn in but these headphones really astonish me as far as natural, non fatiguing sound, I could wear them for hours and indeed have with no tiring effect, very comfortable and combining both detail and smoothness. Very impressed indeed. I was expecting less from a great many comments I have read, non of which have been my experience so far!

I have now ended up using the large dual flange tips, after much experimentation I find these give both tight bass and plenty of detail and smoothness.

It will be interesting to see what happens as time goes on with these!

For reference I am using the latest generation ipod 160gig, qables silvercab LOD, Gary's PA2V2 amp.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #6,299 of 8,119
I've been switching between the TF10 and the IE8 over the last couple of days. The TF10 is my "go to" phone, however like the above poster, I found myself immersed in the music coming from the IE8. Its relaxed presentation is soothing to the ears and I still prefer the way dynamic phones render cymbals compared to balanced armatures. They just sound more realistic to me. If only the bass presentation was better balanced and defined, the IE8 could easily become my favourite earphone. I do think that it's the most "musical" and engaging earphone that I've heard.  

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #6,300 of 8,119
I have to say that I feel pretty much exactly the same way as iponderous.  I have been primarily listening to the TF10 since I got them last winter and I recently just went back to my IE8s.  I like the TF10 because I take the subway every day and they isolate so much better but I have been so much more engaged in what I am listening to since I switched back to the IE8.  Now I am listening to the MTPC, (I was one of the lucky ones to get a review pair) so I hope to write up a comparison of three in the upcoming weeks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back