Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #151 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by vedye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind blowing! After reading all the impressions here... Someone please help me stay away from this thread please!!! (--a guy who just have spent too much money before the xmas!)

hehe...

Just wait until cn11 has 100+hrs on the clock... then, the fun will begin...

Toughnut...

I see from your signature that you're deciding between the IE8 and TF10 (I have no insight into the Westone3, so cannot pass comment...) - What sort of music do you listen to, and how do you like your music to sound? - I will then try and evaluate with a specific comparison between the IE8/TF10
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #152 of 8,119
Yeah hehehe

I'm pairing it with my Sony, which is a bit warm to start with.

Music i normally listen to: Acoustic, pop, ROCK, METAL!!, rap and a lil bit of classical.

I prefer something with more soundstage, not too forward but not too distant mid, good bass response and speed. It shouldnt sound congested and no piercing high. To sum it up, i guess prefer something neutral, fast and with ample bass.

Regarding Westone 3, i wonder when it will be available... hopefully before Christmas. But.. but... i think i will get my IEM next week haha... Christmas come early
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #153 of 8,119
Uh oh....

Thank you for your order.
We will send you an e-mail confirmation shortly.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #155 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh oh....

Thank you for your order.
We will send you an e-mail confirmation shortly.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
confused_face_2.gif

You didn't!

Now that is a comparison I am looking forward to (IE7 vs. IE8).

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #156 of 8,119
Music Factory just called me that they have ie8 in stock this afternoon... too bad i just bought ex700... anyway, im quite happy with my purchase .. looking forward on ie8...

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #157 of 8,119
Duncan's comment about the fun beginning after 100+ hours makes me want to wait until then! Ha ha... I'm evil.

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #159 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since when do IEMs need burn in, seriously. This is the first time I'm hearing people actually telling people to burn in a pair of IEMs

The IE8 is using dynamic drivers hence requires burn in

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #160 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duncan's comment about the fun beginning after 100+ hours makes me want to wait until then! Ha ha... I'm evil.

evil_smiley.gif

Aren't they fun now they're under 24 hours? hehehe. Keep us posted please
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #161 of 8,119
Your order xxxxxxxx has been despatched via City-Link courier.
The tracking number for your parcel is xxxxxxxx

atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #162 of 8,119
Ok, a can't resist any longer....could someone tell me that these sound bad so i could continue using my denons thinking they are still best dynamic in-ears and not having to spend more money.....oh who am i kidding....half of the retail the price in Europe, and i am in Europe. 2+3/12....x=y>z...250€...hmm...

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #163 of 8,119
Initial Sennheiser IE8 impressions:

I will preface this by saying that so far I only have about 8 or so hours listening time on them, as well as about a 7 hour pink noise overnight burn in, so I have a feeling they have not evolved fully yet. First comment is that they are fun earphones. Out of the box the bass is very full and deep. It hits hard, and there is no distortion even at rather loud listening levels. This is a nice treat, especially after having several high-end earphones that lose control well before they should at their prices. That always detracted from the music for me. So, that is a huge step up. Treble seemed a bit dark and rolled off at first. But I think it is opening up over time. Midrange is perhaps the strongest part of the frequency spectrum. It’s awesome, detailed, and natural. I agree that these portray vocals excellently. Jazz recordings are great, and Norah Jones sounds as though she’s singing right to me, right there. Isolation is very good. Sennheiser has developed some rather unique tips which I have yet to see offered with other brands. To this point, there is a sort of slightly glossy, black ‘foamie’ tip, with a noticeably harder durometer than even the Shure Olive tips. I find the mediums work remarkably well for me. You don’t have to compress them yet they still block out a great amount of surrounding noise, and they seem like they’ll last a long time. These are creating a very good seal for me, and I get the resulting benefits across the frequency range. Kudos to Sennheiser for making some more interesting tips.

Comparison with Image X10:

Until the Sennheisers, the Image was my favorite IEM. The IE8 betters them though…to my ears anyway. I am listening on the Sony NWZ-A829, and with flat equalizer the IE8 has a more flushed out sound across the board. Bass is noticeably deeper, mids more realistic and present (this is probably the biggest difference), and treble is as detailed. I think I have a pair of the Images that is particularly good in treble detail, because I could never understand how other owners kept saying they’re ‘dark’, and ‘recessed’ in the treble. To me they have always sounded very detailed, natural, and non-fatiguing. The IE8’s are right about at the same level in treble. Soundstage is bigger in the IE8’s. By comparison, when I switch back to the Images with the same music passages, suddenly the sound is more choked in, narrow, and not as deep.

Summary:

The IE8’s strike me as a warm, punchy, musically fun earphone with sufficient detail in the upper end. They may tend toward a slightly dark or warm sound signature. Some may say that they are slightly rolled off, I don’t know. But to me they have a very nice mellow sound to them. I do hope they gain a bit of top end sparkle over time with more listening hours, while not becoming harsh. Maybe I’m hearing things this way because the bass and mids are more present than I’m used to with the Images. I’ll keep updating this over time as they evolve. I will also take some pictures one evening soon at home.

Hope this helps…………..

UPDATE 08/11/08- Well it's been about 4 1/2 days, with most days around 6-8 hours usage, and I realized today that the treble is opening up nicely. Yesterday I dug out my Denon C700's to compare with the IE8's since some Head-Fi'ers that have been showing interest have/do own them. They seem to be very well liked for their detailed treble. Well it was in going back and forth with them that I realized just how much the IE8's surpass them. I tried both back to back more today, and the result was more of the same impression. I'd say that bass has gotten less flabby too. So, patience should definitely be in abundance with these. They were good out of the box, and now they're becoming just stunning.

Pics:
Higher res versions-
Picasa Web Albums - Chris - Sennheiser IE8

DSC03476.JPG

DSC03477.JPG

DSC03478.JPG

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #164 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, a can't resist any longer....could someone tell me that these sound bad so i could continue using my denons thinking they are still best dynamic in-ears and not having to spend more money.....oh who am i kidding....half of the retail the price in Europe, and i am in Europe. 2+3/12....x=y>z...250€...hmm...

Okay... they sound really really bad. Spare yourself the heartache in wondering, and move on.... ha ha!!

-Sorry, I cannot allow myself to tell a lie...................... that's really not true.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #165 of 8,119
Sounds promising. After some burn-in they can improve on treble presence, or they may become darker. We'll see. Possibly the bass gets tighter and less present so the treble can shine a bit more.

Have you listened to some classical? I've known from a trustful member that the X10 are about the closest to perfect timbre IEMs available. I wonder if the IE8 can get it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back