Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #166 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds promising. After some burn-in they can improve on treble presence, or they may become darker. We'll see. Possibly the bass gets tighter and less present so the treble can shine a bit more.

Have you listened to some classical? I've known from a trustful member that the X10 are about the closest to perfect timbre IEMs available. I wonder if the IE8 can get it too.

Acually I don't listen to much classical, unfortunately. I can say that they do an admirable job on jazz though.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #167 of 8,119
Good early review CN. My main issue is the cost. Comparing a $400 universal IEM to a $200 one (what I paid for the Images and Sleek SA6s) - and that $400 is the discounted price at Soundearphones.com - is my main concern. If it's a given that the Senns have advantages over the Sleeks and Image X10s, SQ/soundstage-wise, is it a $200 difference? Of course, that's hard to quantify, but a fair question, I believe.

Also, I am not a fan of over the ear style, just a personal thing. Is the SQ/soundstage advantage of the IE8 worth it from that perspective? I ask mainly because I have the Images already, which to me have to be at the top of the comfort zone from a sleep/weight/ease of insertion POV.

Anyway, for me to justify the IE8 purchase, I would have to sell either or both of my current main IEMs, or one of them and a DAP. And that only really gets me 2/3rds of the way $$$-wise. Unless I sell the iPod Touch and one IEM, something I'm not willing to do right now.

In the end, while your review gives the nod to the IE8s on balance, it doesn't sound like such a night and day difference to be worth the hassle/cost factor, at least not in my case.

I guess you've kind of convinced me that while the Senns would be a nice pair of IEMs to own, they aren't compelling enough for me to take the plunge. Maybe after more burn-in, the highs will start to sparkle a bit more. That aspect of your early review had me hesitating, though I see that Duncan recommends 200 hours burn-in for the Senns.

Anyway, thanks for the direct comparison with the Image X10s.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #168 of 8,119
Let's not forget that when comparing retail to retail, the IE8's are $100 more than the Image X10. I think they do approach that level of difference... However is each worth over $350+ ? I am not sure... I readily agree that these are prices that are getting wayyy up there for earphones.

I have a feeling at the end of the year, I will be doing a 'house cleaning' of my less-preferred earphones here on Head-Fi.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #169 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds promising. After some burn-in they can improve on treble presence, or they may become darker. We'll see. Possibly the bass gets tighter and less present so the treble can shine a bit more.

Have you listened to some classical? I've known from a trustful member that the X10 are about the closest to perfect timbre IEMs available. I wonder if the IE8 can get it too.

With the right tips that's something the X10's really do excel at and one of the reasons I really like them. I don't listen to much classical myself but this isn't a trait exclusive to classical, it's across the board. Things like Iron & Wine and Bon Iver sound freakishly good on the X10's. I'd be interested to hear how the IE8's fair in comparison as well.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #170 of 8,119
Actually, with the current price cut on Amazon (authorized seller), as well as grey market sellers, the X10s can be had retail for around $200, while the discounted IE8s are $400 after a 10 percent rebate at Soundearphones (not sure about other e/retailers). That's double the cost, not $100.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's not forget that when comparing retail to retail, the IE8's are $100 more than the Image X10. I think they do approach that level of difference... However is each worth over $350+ ? I am not sure... I readily agree that these are prices that are getting wayyy up there for earphones.

I have a feeling at the end of the year, I will be doing a 'house cleaning' of my less-preferred earphones here on Head-Fi.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #171 of 8,119
Quote:

Okay... they sound really really bad. Spare yourself the heartache in wondering, and move on.... ha ha!!

-Sorry, I cannot allow myself to tell a lie...................... that's really not true.

Well thanks allot...
angry_face.gif
icon10.gif

Anyway after i give my ipod video 5g to my brother i was planing to buy a new dap. That sony of yours have some pretty good reviews and it seems that they are a good match with IE8. So, not right now but except another (modest) review in about couple of weeks when my paid arrives. One last thing though, is the treble better than se530? Thats all i want to know.
atsmile.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #172 of 8,119
crap i find this thread after just ordering some HJE900s. But from reading the whole thread so far im really thinking i might shuffle out for these down the road or the westone 3 and great impressions so far from the IEx owners so far too i think these are FOTM for sure

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #173 of 8,119
He he, the thing here is determining if the IE8 are any better than other previous FOTM
biggrin.gif

cn11, thanks for your additional comments. Classical, specially orchestral, is good to evaluate timbre -among many other things-, not only for the use of unamplified instruments, but also for the resolution needed to assess all of them playing together. Few phones can handle that decently. Jazz is good for single instruments evaluation, but it isn't as demanding for the lower number of instruments used. However, had you any big band recording that you enjoy, it'd be interesting knowing your thoughts and how compare the X10 to the IE8.

IMO correct timbre speaks spades about two important things on HP, one of them is a decent balance in the midrange and transition to treble. The second one is its time resolution -name it speed if you prefer- since timbre largely depends on the attacks onset and transient response. I still have to find any IEMs that don't spoil timbre. I have high expectations on the X10s, but these IE8 sound promising, Sennheiser on their higher range products usually offers quite decent timbral rendition.

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #174 of 8,119
What I can add (which in due time, I'm sure cn11 will agree with) is that with extended burn in, the treble does open up... not to the level of the TF10s, but certainly not as dark as out of the box... - That isn't a bad thing to me, I find the TF10s to be a little too bright / sharp...

I have yet to hear sibilance on the IE8s...

...The bass also (finally!!) calms down a bit, and whilst it can still hit, and hard, it also isn't as in your face as when new... Jazz for example sounds natural, rather than overbearing, but dance / trance still sounds fun
biggrin.gif

Patience is required in the early stages
smily_headphones1.gif

...What will come first, cn11's full impressions, or SoozieQ's comparison between the IE7 and IE8 - Either way, Can't wait
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #175 of 8,119
@cn11 or soozieq or anyone else who have owned Klipsch X10 and Sennheiser IE8:

How big are the tips on the IE8? I comfortably use both the small single and double flange tips on the X10s and this IE8 has sparked my interest. Just wondering if the small IE8 tips are as small or bigger then the small single or double flange of the X10s.

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #176 of 8,119
Great news Duncan, I'm happy that you like them so much and that they improve with burn in. But please...tell me the thing about treble...is it not rolled off like on se530?

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #177 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news Duncan, I'm happy that you like them so much and that they improve with burn in. But please...tell me the thing about treble...is it not rolled off like on se530?

no, not as bad... as i've mentioned in previous posts, the extension is about half way between the SE5x0 and the TF10... not too dark, not too bright (although YMMV depending on how bright / hot you like your treble...)

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #178 of 8,119
Duncan-
I agree with you about how the treble is so far. But my comparison to the TF10 is in memory, since I sold them. I would say that the IE8 presents it with almost as much detail, but minus that last iota of sparkle. Unfortunately I have never heard the 530's, so I have no point of reference with them.

On a side note, do you enjoy the black foamies as much as I do? These earphones are so comfortable with those tips that I've literally been listening all day at work, and no discomfort whatsoever.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #179 of 8,119
Quote:

On a side note, do you enjoy the black foamies as much as I do? These earphones are so comfortable with those tips that I've literally been listening all day at work, and no discomfort whatsoever.

i got my IE8 today
smily_headphones1.gif

i don't have time to comment on the sound right now (would be too early anyway...), but i have to say as well that this black foamies are very comfortable. i had the IE8 all day long in my ears and there is no discomfort.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #180 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, not as bad... as i've mentioned in previous posts, the extension is about half way between the SE5x0 and the TF10... not too dark, not too bright (although YMMV depending on how bright / hot you like your treble...)

I'm not that good in English as you probably noticed already but ill try to explain it this way: when i had se530 i needed to crank up the volume to really enjoy the detail but when i tried to do that on a more complex songs they just sounded like they falling apart (as someone already mention it). After that and etymotic that didn't have enough bass i started to buy dynamic iems. After a couple of months i've found Soozieq's thread abouth denons c700 and she mentioned that they sounded similar with TF10 in treble (at least i read it that way...). I bought them and discovered that they have almoust perfect bass, realy nice mids and again almoust perfect but a little too much highs at some songs. So now i need iems with same or better bass and smoother highs but not like se530
biggrin.gif
. You sad that its half way between se530 and TF10, and although i never heard the tf10 they should be on the similar level with denons i'm asuming that they are the thing i need. Still waiting for another reviews but i don't think ill be disapointed with these. Thanks to you and the rest of the guys for posting, it really helps allot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back