Sennheiser HD800 vs. JH-13 Pro: Battle of the Titans
Aug 17, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #46 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think everyone has heard of the mosquito ring tone and sonic teen deterrent. That's only 17.4khz and most adults can't hear it. So comparing a 20khz device to >40khz device for treble reproduction just does not add up. This is all my point of view and I hope that I did not step on any one's toes with my comments.

I wouldn't say that's a point of view, it's a fact. No point worrying about how well any headphone handles treble above 22 KHz because you've got to have exceptional hearing to even be able to hear 22 KHz when you're an adult.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #47 of 97
I'd love to have a pair of JH13s to do the comparison. I don't, and I think it's crazy comparing in ear monitors with open full size cans. I won't vote, but the 800s sound pretty good.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #48 of 97
Interesting thread. By the way, I hear the mosquito ring tone and I am over 40 years old.
wink.gif
Was fun to annoy my youngest, 20 year old with it. I know I am so wrong.

Happy listening!

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #49 of 97
Quote:

JH-13 Pro. 10hz-20khz? Is that even possible?

I have listen to a few balanced armatures and owned a few others and I think that the frequency response ratings are all bloated.

Armatures can't physically produce deep bass. You can make them boomy, not deep. They cannot move that much air at low cycles.

20khz? Imo, I don't think armatures can go up past 18khz. How do I know? Nothing scientific. Compared to my darkest headphone, the open air HD600 in hearing tests. ER4, im716, Superfreq and Q-Jay cannot go past 17-18khz while I can easily hear 20khz on the HD600.

JH-13 Pro lovers can start shooting now.

My 47 year old hearing runs 16Hz - 16Khz, and I can hear that low and high with my JH13Pro. They have decent audible output contribution at 20Hz, on par or better than with the HD800.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and thats right
angry_face.gif
O2's IMO are beyond the HD800's, after 3 weeks of trying different sub €2500 euro amps I cant simply make them sing in a way that justifies their price! If you need to get an RS B52 (or similar) worth more than 5k to make them sing, then for me the HD800 are not worth the hype...

"If you need to get a KGBH SE (or similar) worth more than 5k to make the O2 Mk1 sing, then for me the O2 Mk1 are not worth the hype..."

FIFY

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You think IEM's can't do deep bass, eh? Maybe the universals, but these are no universals. According to Headphoneaddict, both the ES3X and JH13 Pro have better bass impact, detail and control than his HD800 and 02 Mk1. Enough said.

Yah.

Quote:

Music can be deceiving in comparing frequency response. Run some test tones and you'll see what I mean.

I have nothing against the JH-13 or Jerry. It's just physically impossible for armatures to produce 20-20 without some external form of enhancement. I know many many people love the sound of armatures and I believe that its a amazing feat that some manufactures can manipulate armatures to sound that good. Armatures alone cannot produce full range. That is why you have multiple armatures and even then, the far edge frequencies are lacking. that is when cross overs and passive EQs come into play.

I am no engineer nor am I a audio purist but I did some research about armatures because my experience with them annoyed me so much. By running some hearing test tones proved what I was thinking all along.

Wow, so I can hear 20Hz tones with all the flagship custom IEM which cannot be possible. It's a miracle!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IEMs are getting too full of themselves. Heck, let's throw a Sennheiser Orpheus into this battle. Let's see how the JH13 do then.

I already did (in my review).

I'll go ahead and vote now...

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #51 of 97
This poll is a joke. It's too bad. This could have been a useful thread.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #53 of 97
I just voted for the jh13s and, admittedly, I don't own both. I have, however, listened to the hd800s rather extensively at CanJam out of multiple high end set ups (Headroom balanced stack, Amarra 4 > Luxman P1, Marantz sacd player > WA5, etc.). While I was there, I listened to the jh13 universals as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to listen to the same music with both headphones, but I did leave CanJam with the distinct impression that I enjoyed the jh13s more. In layman's terms, I found their presentation to be less laid back and, to be perfectly honest, I thought the bass reproduction on the jh13s was more impressive (they were weightier and more visceral).

I now own a pair of jh13 pros and I have absolutely no regrets about my purchase. I currently enjoy them straight from my iphone 3gs.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #54 of 97
I admit that my views about armatures have been biased due to my experience with a few. My most expensive being the Superfreq 3 way custom which I returned due to poor treble response. It's either there or it's not. I don't want to have get used to the sound in time like some iem users say.

Thanks to this poll and a some post, I am a bit more curios of the JH-13. If owners of HD800's and O2's are voting JH-13 then there must be something there. I've ignore the JH-3 thread all this time now maybe its time for a peek.

Man this hobby sucks in times of recession. I haven't run a balance on my credit cards for over a decade. Now maybe it's time.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #55 of 97
Quote:

I've ignore the JH-3 thread all this time now maybe its time for a peek.

Man this hobby sucks in times of recession. I haven't run a balance on my credit cards for over a decade. Now maybe it's time.

Tread slowly and cautiously, my friend. That thread snatches money away from people faster than an armed robbery.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #57 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this mean portable player DAC's are better than what we thought?

The DAC in the imod is supposed to be one of the best non-upsampling 44KHz/16bit DACs. There are others that many owners feel come close, like the iPhone 3G/3GS.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #58 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just voted for the jh13s and, admittedly, I don't own both. I have, however, listened to the hd800s rather extensively at CanJam out of multiple high end set ups (Headroom balanced stack, Amarra 4 > Luxman P1, Marantz sacd player > WA5, etc.). While I was there, I listened to the jh13 universals as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to listen to the same music with both headphones, but I did leave CanJam with the distinct impression that I enjoyed the jh13s more. In layman's terms, I found their presentation to be less laid back and, to be perfectly honest, I thought the bass reproduction on the jh13s was more impressive (they were weightier and more visceral).

I now own a pair of jh13 pros and I have absolutely no regrets about my purchase. I currently enjoy them straight from my iphone 3gs.

At least you've listened to both the HD800 and a properly fitted JH13Pro made for you. So, that's reasonable to vote.

If someone has only heard the JH13Pro universal demos then their vote may not be valid because the universal demo has the potential to sound worse than the HD800. In my case the demos sounded similar to the HD800 and did not surpass them, but my custom fitted JH13Pro sound much better than the universal demo did.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #59 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC in the imod is supposed to be one of the best non-upsampling 44KHz/16bit DACs. There are others that many owners feel come close, like the iPhone 3G/3GS.

Yup.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #60 of 97
I've had extensive time with the HD800, R10, K1000, and the JH13.

If I had to keep only one, it would be the JH13, because they are the most balanced I've heard with every genre of music, and source type.

But I don't have to keep only one.
wink.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back