Sennheiser HD800 vs. JH-13 Pro: Battle of the Titans
Aug 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 97
My listen with both was fairly brief, so take that into account. And I don't think I found the right amp for the HD800. I used the JH13 out of an ipod, and the HD800 out of a Singlepower Extreme

But the JH13 was leaps and bounds above the HD800 in the particular area that matters most to me- tone, realism, neutrality. They simply sound unbelivably real. The HD800 sounded technically better in terms of sounstage, but that doesn't make me enjoy them more. But, realistically, I'm not sure if I would like using IEM's, I never have really

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 97
I own the HD800. I only heard the universal demo of the JH13. I am not sure I can pick which one I like better, but for me a big factor is comfort. I have a hard time sticking something deep in my ear, and I don't feel comfortable. On sound alone, I would probably take the JH13. But when taking comfort into account, I'd take the HD800.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #18 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the HD800. I only heard the universal demo of the JH13. I am not sure I can pick which one I like better, but for me a big factor is comfort. I have a hard time sticking something deep in my ear, and I don't feel comfortable. On sound alone, I would probably take the JH13. But when taking comfort into account, I'd take the HD800.

You'd get used to it after 1-2 weeks, and it'll definitely be more comfortable than any headphone. This is assuming you did good impressions with no "hot spots" that cause your ear to get tender.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #19 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bang, bang!
biggrin.gif

Listen to the JH13, then rethink your statement.

I would have tended to agree with you before I'd ever heard them. The JH13 has a bass that goes as deep as any headphone I've used, and it is about as clean and fast a bass as I've heard.

Until the JH13, armatures did not get to 20kHz. JH Audio uses a new armature which absolutely does reach that figure.

The JH13 is a game-changer. And without a doubt, I prefer it to the HD800. And I know I am not alone in that regard.

The only advantage the HD800 has, IMO, is soundstage size. Which, again IMO, is not worth sacrificing the better tone, transient response, extension, and realism of the JH13 for.

As the OP stated, anyone who doesn't own a JH13 or hasn't heard the demo really has no business here, as their opinion is pure speculation.

I have no problem agreeing with you if I actually try one but the rest of the armature market has left a bad taste in my mouth. For the proclaimed technology, the price is a steal but I personally think that the specs of the JH-13 is just some sort of passive EQing shenanigans. Stacking 2 18khz armatures won't give you 20khz nor stacking 2 or 3 28hz armatures give you 10hz.
That's just my opinion.

P.S. Ha Ha!! Bulletproof jacket!

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #20 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bang, bang!
biggrin.gif

Listen to the JH13, then rethink your statement.

I would have tended to agree with you before I'd ever heard them. The JH13 has a bass that goes as deep as any headphone I've used, and it is about as clean and fast a bass as I've heard.

Until the JH13, armatures did not get to 20kHz. JH Audio uses a new armature which absolutely does reach that figure.

The JH13 is a game-changer. And without a doubt, I prefer it to the HD800. And I know I am not alone in that regard.

The only advantage the HD800 has, IMO, is soundstage size. Which, again IMO, is not worth sacrificing the better tone, transient response, extension, and realism of the JH13 for.

As the OP stated, anyone who doesn't own a JH13 or hasn't heard the demo really has no business here, as their opinion is pure speculation.

X2.

I sold my HD800s after receiving my JH13s. Though I think the HD800s are an excellent headphone and well worth their price, the JH13s are simply one of the best headphones that I've heard. I currently own bass-heavy R10s and O2 MK1s. The JH13s do not replace them, but I put them in the same league, and that's considering sound quality only coupled with versatility. I prefer them to K1000s and many other high-end headphones, such as the L3000, PS1 and HP2. As I've said in other threads, if you add in the fact that they do not require additional expensive components to produce their amazing sound (they do, however, scale nicely with the addition of better dac and amp than an ipod/iphone provides), I think they, along with the Koss KSC75, are perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck headphone available. As Iron_Dreamer said, they are game changers. I'm rethinking all my gear, and my listening habits changed overnight, from rarely using iems (had Ety ER4P/S for years and have UE11s), to almost exclusively using my JH13s, and for hours at a time. They're absolutely addictive.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #21 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH-13 Pro. 10hz-20khz? Is that even possible?

I have listen to a few balanced armatures and owned a few others and I think that the frequency response ratings are all bloated.

Armatures can't physically produce deep bass. You can make them boomy, not deep. They cannot move that much air at low cycles.

20khz? Imo, I don't think armatures can go up past 18khz. How do I know? Nothing scientific. Compared to my darkest headphone, the open air HD600 in hearing tests. ER4, im716, Superfreq and Q-Jay cannot go past 17-18khz while I can easily hear 20khz on the HD600.

JH-13 Pro lovers can start shooting now.

I talked with some Shure reps at a meet a few years back. The had told me that no IEM could go all the way to 20 KHz due to the limitation in the armatures that were being produced at the time. The physical constraints in the size of the armature that you need to get the desired frequency response is difficult to manage. I do not know if the JH-13 have managed to get a new kind of armature but I have yet to find an IEM that could get measurements over the entire frequency range.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I talked with some Shure reps at a meet a few years back. The had told me that no IEM could go all the way to 20 KHz due to the limitation in the armatures that were being produced at the time. The physical constraints in the size of the armature that you need to get the desired frequency response is difficult to manage. I do not know if the JH-13 have managed to get a new kind of armature but I have yet to find an IEM that could get measurements over the entire frequency range.

I wonder if there were some way of knowing if the JH-13 Pro uses a different kind, or larger armature to get the frequency response that goes that low. There is only one of knowing. Does anyone want to open theirs up? : )

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #24 of 97
You think IEM's can't do deep bass, eh? Maybe the universals, but these are no universals. According to Headphoneaddict, both the ES3X and JH13 Pro have better bass impact, detail and control than his HD800 and 02 Mk1. Enough said.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #25 of 97
I'm in this dillema myself...HD800 or JH13
if it werent for the fact that you have to push them into your ear,and the fact that they are not resallable,and the fact that they are less durable( i would assume) than full size headphones,and the whole ear molds and refits and ear wax problems etc...i would get the JH13,but it seems to me that it is too problematic to me,but if the sacrifice of SQ by getting the HD800 is soooo huge compared to the JH13 then i am not so sure anymore.
life is hard!!!

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #27 of 97
Most certainly, I will sell my HD800's soon, as I said Im just waiting to try some other amps. With the money I will definitely get the JH13's or the EarSonics EM3-pro.

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in this dillema myself...HD800 or JH13
if it werent for the fact that you have to push them into your ear,and the fact that they are not resallable,and the fact that they are less durable( i would assume) than full size headphones,and the whole ear molds and refits and ear wax problems etc...i would get the JH13,but it seems to me that it is too problematic to me,but if the sacrifice of SQ by getting the HD800 is soooo huge compared to the JH13 then i am not so sure anymore.
life is hard!!!

But there are list of things that JH13 Pro does better. For example, better isolation, portability, don't need any other amps/dacs that cost more than $1000, more comfortable (for me), don't have to change pads over extensive use, cheaper, and looks better. Of course, I liked JH13's sound signature better than the HD800. Again, these are all in my opinion but wanted to say that JH13 Pro is much better deal than HD800 to some people (someone like me).

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #29 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel so left out
tongue.gif

Gosh so do I. x] Once I get a credit card and get a full time job, then I might get the JH13-Pro. Since I doubt that with my setup I'm going to have soon (MacBook+Hifiman EF2) It'll actually be worth it to power the HD800s.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #30 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget about team K1000 as its in a category of its own in terms of sounstage and having natural crossfeed.
wink.gif

Natural crossfeed?? I haven't heard that one yet, does that have to do with the fact that they are open headphones, or is there something else involved? This is highly interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back