Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 29, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #181 of 6,607
OK I have heard enough......Direct from my Marantz CD5001

I have owned the GS-1000 (ear fatigue after about 15 minutes), RS-1 (see GS-1000), K701(Anemic and "dry") and still own the HD650 (my personal favorite over the last 3 years or so) and the HD600. (my first hi-end phone...greta detail as we all know).

Frankly none of those phones even come close to the detail and clarity of the HD800.

The HD800 is simply "detail and clarity" without the sibilance or harshness on some of the afforementioned phones.

The HD800 are NOT for bass-heads, there plenty of bass for me, but again I'm not crazy about bass heavy phones. The bass is natural and distinct in the mix, not overpowering but rather complimentary to it's surroundings (other instruments).

The soundstage of the HD800 makes the HD600 HD650 sound claustrophobic and "small" kind of like going from HD600's to those $20 Sony walkman headphones of years gone by.

The HD800 is "brighter" than the HD600 and even more so than the HD650 (Though my ears could be picking this "brightness" up from the enhanced detail of the high end). Even the GS-1000 doesn't have this much detail at the top, but certaintly had the sibilance. While I don't belive there is a "veil" on the HD650 or HD600 they do (in comparisson to the 800) sound less detailed... "I can't beleive it either" but trust me...theres no amount of eq that will get the 600 or 650 to reveal the same detail that the 800 does.

The most impressive part about these phones is the way they present the music, with a soundstage that seperates and places instruments where they need to be in the mix. I'll say the 600 and 650 is like listening to a band where the musicians are in close proximity (sometimes one behind the other) where instuments and notes sometimes get "lost" in the mix (i'll be damned if I ever thought I would say that about a phone fron Senn.) Again this is in comparison to the HD800....the 650 and 600 still kill most of whats out there.

Are they worth it.....to me... YES. I have found however that while listening to them they may start to seem "unimpressive" like "ehh so whats the big deal"....if this happens to you I urge you to go and listen to what you were using before you purchased these then go back to the HD800.... "you will understand" Tthey have a tendancy to let the listener take them for granted (like there not doing much) I guess tin reality they are not because this is the most pure I have ever heard music.....

Now the bad....I have to find a place to store my 650 and 600
smile.gif

May 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #182 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here they are again.

15253d1237250212-sennheiser-hd-800-first-listen-first-review-k-701-hd-800.jpg

I'm not implying that they sound the same just because of the glaring similarity of the curves, although personally I wouldn't mind if the HD 800 turned out as a refined and perfectioned K 701.

I'll add: (...and likes the K 701...)

These graphs are a joke. You should really have a look at that prof. audio issue, their measurements are alot more detailed. The k702 and HD800 are close but not as much you would guess by looking at these rough stereoplay graphs. The DT880pro is actually closer to the HD800 as the K702.

May 29, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #183 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These graphs are a joke. You should really have a look at that prof. audio issue, their measurements are alot more detailed. The k702 and HD800 are close but not as much you would guess by looking at these rough stereoplay graphs. The DT880pro is actually closer to the HD800 as the K702.

Which Professional Audio magazine? Do you have a link? Does the magazine have a website?

May 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #185 of 6,607
Quote:

I don't think they are a joke. They're done with professional equipment and are more significant than e.g. HeadRoom's IMO (closer to the perceived characteristic). They are absolutely alright, technically and in terms of my own perception of the measured headphones. Any more detail isn't really necessary in my book. You don't need the tiniest dB for a rough insight in the (possible) sonic signature – which is all a headphone measurement can provide. And who knows which measurement is more accurate: «Stereoplay's» or «Professional Audio's»! The mere measuring resolution isn't decisive for that.

Can you post a link to the mentioned graphs or the graphs themselves? I don't have access to that magazine.

May 29, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #186 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the foam on the inside of the cup is kind of odd. it has a raised impression of the senn logo on it. not sure if that was a great idea.

I noticed this in the pictures, and I think it looks pretty damn cool. Whether it disturbs comfort or sound, I don't know of course.

May 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #187 of 6,607
Thanks for the impressions vai! I think this is the most telling thing of good audio equipment, no wow-effect, only by going back to what you had before makes you realize the change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they worth it.....to me... YES. I have found however that while listening to them they may start to seem "unimpressive" like "ehh so whats the big deal"....if this happens to you I urge you to go and listen to what you were using before you purchased these then go back to the HD800.... "you will understand"

Now the bad....I have to find a place to store my 650 and 600
smile.gif

Keep the "oldies" to when you are in doubt
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #188 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you post a link to the mentioned graphs or the graphs themselves? I don't have access to that magazine.

This magazine? Home: Professional Audio Magazin

You need a proper membership to get access to the article. If somebody can grab that article it would be great. I registered using a guest account but I could not get access to the article.

May 29, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #190 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Professional Audio magazine? Do you have a link? Does the magazine have a website?

It's a german magazine: Home: Professional Audio Magazin

Jazz:

I'm pretty sure that prof audio which is run by studied audio engineers are more up to the job than stereopay run by a bunch of storytellers.
Measurements were done with a Neumann KU 100:

hd800.jpg

k702.jpg

I'll remove the files tomorrow morning for copyright reasons.

PS: There's really no "more significant" way of measuring headphones. If you use the same system for all headphones you can relate between them. Absolute measurements are impossible to reach (yet). Everybody uses a different EQ curve to align these headphone measurements to the human hearing. So it's important to see all measurements as relative and not absolute measurements. Using EQ can only be guesswork since there's no detailed scientific research about headphone listening.

May 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #191 of 6,607
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that prof audio which is run by studied audio engineers are more up to the job than stereopay run by a bunch of storytellers.
Measurements were done with a Neumann KU 100:

That's pretty funny. Could you post the DT880 graph as well as you said that was closer to the HD800 than the K701.

May 29, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #192 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions vai! I think this is the most telling thing of good audio equipment, no wow-effect, only by going back to what you had before makes you realize the change. Keep the "oldies" to when you are in doubt
smily_headphones1.gif

Hej! I wouldn't necessarily say this. When I first heard the K1000s I felt "wow" and have never been disappointed since.

With this in mind, I'm curious to heard the HD800s at Can Jam
tongue_smile.gif

May 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #193 of 6,607
Quote:

It's a german magazine: Home: Professional Audio Magazin

Jazz:

I'm pretty sure that prof audio which is run by studied audio engineers are more up to the job than stereopay run by a bunch of storytellers. Measurements were done with a Neumann KU 100:

Thanks for posting these measurements. You can never have enough!
beerchug.gif
I would also like to see some performed with a B&K or GRAS KEMAR head and torso simulator.

May 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #194 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's pretty funny. Could you post the DT880 graph as well as you said that was closer to the HD800 than the K701.

Here it is:

dt880.jpg

I can relate to all the graphs they measured from headphones in that particular review with the headphones i heard (alot).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back