Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 29, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #151 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why can't you post impressions?

Because I work for Sennheiser. It's not allowed.

May 29, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #152 of 6,607
MOTs cannot post regarding their own equipment. Now, ask him about his Grace and he will surley tell you!
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #153 of 6,607
Some early, early impressions, using my new Audio-gd C2C amp that is also burning in, so take them with a grain of salt. Overall though, I am very pleased with these so far, and I feel that they will make a good complement to my DX-1000's.

The phones themselves:

-A bit smaller than they look in pictures
-Also, a bit heavier than you anticipate
-Very comfortable, no headpadding problems like with the DX1000

The sound:
-Amazing transient response, lots of air around notes
-Huge, very wide soundstage, very similar to the DX1000, but perhaps even larger. Definitely larger than the HD650, at least from my memory.
-Good bass response. Not as deep or hard-hitting as the DX1000 or HD650, but definitely more accurate, and very balanced with respect to the rest of the spectrum. Better than the K701 from my memory, so no problems there (I hated the anemic bass of the K701).
-Extended treble compared to the DX1000/HD650 but no hint of sibilance
-Very neutral, but not to the point of boredom. Certainly more neutral than the HD650's or DX1000's. Still very euphonic when paired with a warmer amp such as the C2C. I suspect that amp choice will play a big part in one's enjoyment of these.

May 29, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #154 of 6,607
Thanks rogue! Just got mine and am at work so I am listening to them with Ipod/RSA Hornet M, my thoughts mirror yours almost exactly. More thoughts when I get them home on better equipment.

May 29, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #156 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MOTs cannot post regarding their own equipment. Now, ask him about his Grace and he will surley tell you!
biggrin.gif

Do you mean this:-

m902_main.jpg

or this:-

sb30_1.jpg

And my Nagra VI
biggrin.gif

NVI_Red_case.jpg

May 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #157 of 6,607
Sounds good Max, I look forward to your thoughts on these as well, especially as a previous DX1000 owner. I have to say, these sound absolutely amazing with well-recorded live performances - everything just sounds so right, without a hint of artifice. More later.

May 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #158 of 6,607
initial thoughts right out of the box:

- very solid, well built can. IMHO they don't seem plasticky at all, and don't resemble gamer headpones. Nice looking, weighty.
- Very comfortable
- no harshness or sibilance
- Bass is very good. Any concerns over K701-like bass anemia are now alleviated.
- detail, instrument placement, soundstaging, all seem exceptional upon initial listen

back to some Radiohead!

May 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #159 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I work for Sennheiser. It's not allowed.

I call BS on the rules....the whole site is full of propaganda anyway...as long as we know "where the person is coming from" then we can palce as much or as little weight as we like as to their reviews of a particular product....

Makes no difference to me if the guy works for Sennheiser..frankly he's in the loop...I'm not...so I would like as much info as I can get....no?

May 29, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #161 of 6,607
Quote:

I call BS on the rules....the whole site is full of propaganda anyway...as long as we know "where the person is coming from" then we can palce as much or as little weight as we like as to their reviews of a particular product....

Makes no difference to me if the guy works for Sennheiser..frankly he's in the loop...I'm not...so I would like as much info as I can get....no?

Head Fidelity (head-fi.org) - Headphone Hi-Fi Forum

No. It's against the rules of head-fi. You may not like that but it doesn't really matter. Those are the rules.

May 29, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #162 of 6,607
Quote:

Then go ahead and PM or email him. The rules are what they are.

Thanks for the impressions so far, gang. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide some comparisons to various 'stats, even if general at this point.

May 29, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #163 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JaZZ once pointed out that the graphs (in stereoplay?) for the HD800 and K701 had a lot of similarities.

Here they are again.

15253d1237250212-sennheiser-hd-800-first-listen-first-review-k-701-hd-800.jpg

I'm not implying that they sound the same just because of the glaring similarity of the curves, although personally I wouldn't mind if the HD 800 turned out as a refined and perfectioned K 701.

Quote:

Anybody who owns both interested in a K701 vs HD800 commentary?

I'll add: (...and likes the K 701...)

May 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #164 of 6,607
Well, my pair arrived at my office so I'm excited to go in now.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's going to be a very busy day packing for the show, but damnit the sky is gray and it looks like rain might be coming which is a very bad thing considering I need to move all my equipment to the car. The good news is I finished my D5K mod this morning to the best of my ability. It isn't a permanent solution but I hope it stays in place for the show. I'm really looking forward to comparing them to the HD800.

May 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #165 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then go ahead and PM or email him. The rules are what they are.

That's against the rules as well.

A Member of the Trade may not--via the forums, Private Messaging, or Head-Fi's e-mail relay function--volunteer any information about a specific product that he is selling or making, in response to a general request for information about a type of product or in any other discussion in the Main Forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back