Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #136 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It almost seems as if people have to get together in LA and ask each other, "Well, what do you think?" about the HD800, before anybody can speak.

I don't think that is the case at all. Think about it. The only people that have received theirs so far is a handful of people that either opted to upgrade to overnight shipping or, like donlin, managed to purchase them locally. I know everyone is itching for impressions but they just aren't available yet. Many people, including myself, will be receiving them some time this afternoon. Those with orders through Headroom will be getting theirs early next week. The time will come. I know we have waited six months for these headphones to show up, so a few extra days isn't going to do any damage. Impressions from CanJam will start flowing in tomorrow and Sunday.

I will provide very brief initial impressions compared to my L3000 and HP-1000 later on this evening. Then I will update them in a few days after they've had time to settle in.

May 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #137 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my god,all negative impressions...

There are only a few impressions here and not really negative. Even if they are best ever to some they will not appeal to everyone. Opinions of all headphones are mixed. The K1000 and R10 are my favorites, but plenty of folks don't like them. Doesn't make them any less appealing to me. Audio is a personal thing. Whats good for me with my music and my system may be crapola to someone else. Thats why I didn't pre-order. For such an expensive item I want to try before I buy.

May 29, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #138 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am slightly worried that no one reports to have been impressed by their soundstage and airness - after all many of us were hoping for a noticeably, overall improved Senn sound but with a VASTLY improved soundstage (the angled drivers hype etc)

x2

May 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #140 of 6,607
Quote:

I would not accuse those who have already posted their initial impressions of lousy equipment.

Of course, the comment was reserved for a minority of purchasers, not intended at all towards the posters here.

May 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #141 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why so few impressions?

I guess there just so good nobody's impressed yet.
wink.gif
Seriously, I think a lot of people just don't quite know what to say yet in light of all the hype. These phones don't hit you over the head about how great they are but they are very good. I have probably said too much too soon since people were asking for early comments. Just need more time to listen. I have definitely not given up on them.

May 29, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #142 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X 2,

Those expecting higher performance may be disappointed that their source and amp sound lousy, the truth hurts.

From what I recall, most of the early impressions (CES 2009, UK HiFi shows, etc..) weren't done using UBER audiophile gear, but the comments flowed effortlessly. When the dust settles they will be what they are and most of us will be looking towards the next fix.
wink.gif

May 29, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #145 of 6,607
Quote:

As long as there will be better and worse source pairings with HD800 I would not accuse those who have already posted their initial impressions of lousy equipment. I am also not worried about is the lack of the "Denon wow" effect, as I am in the camp of those who were not looking for such characteristics in HD800 in the first place. But even taking into account that their linear signature might not stun at first, I am slightly worried that no one reports to have been impressed by their soundstage and airness - after all many of us were hoping for a noticeably, overall improved Senn sound but with a VASTLY improved soundstage (the angled drivers hype etc)

Yes, well that is interesting isn't it. And at CanJam I can bet you that we will doing some serious comparisons to the pre-production units to see if anything has changed. All the glowing reviews came out of those initial units.

50 of us that ordered from TTVJ will be getting ours today, so don't worry, there will be PLENTY of reviews.

My pair is on the truck so I should have them shortly. I hope to be able to get a brief listen before heading out to Hilton LAX tonight.

May 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #146 of 6,607
Quote:

... But even taking into account that their linear signature might not stun at first, I am slightly worried that no one reports to have been impressed by their soundstage and airness - after all many of us were hoping for a noticeably, overall improved Senn sound but with a VASTLY improved soundstage (the angled drivers hype etc)

I think an overall improved Senn sound with vastly improved soundstage is a good description. The soundstage is very large and open. If by air you're talking about a sparkly treble, that is not the case at all, but there is soundstage air with noticeable space around the images.

May 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #147 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess there just so good nobody's impressed yet.
wink.gif
Seriously, I think a lot of people just don't quite know what to say yet in light of all the hype. These phones don't hit you over the head about how great they are but they are very good. I have probably said too much too soon since people were asking for early comments. Just need more time to listen. I have definitely not given up on them.

Also - it can be quite difficult to describe the sound of the HD 800 - I find it extremely difficult to put into words (so it's probably a good job that I can't post impressions here
biggrin.gif
).

Maybe people will post what they feel next week after CanJam and (those that can't make CanJam) have had a whole weekend to listen.

With all this talk of CanJam I actually dreamt last night that I flew from the UK to LA specially for CanJam.
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif
- chance would be a fine thing.
icon10.gif
All this talk must be getting to me.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #149 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also - it can be quite difficult to describe the sound of the HD 800 - I find it extremely difficult to put into words (so it's probably a good job that I can't post impressions here
biggrin.gif
).

Maybe people will post what they feel next week after CanJam and (those that can't make CanJam) have had a whole weekend to listen.

With all this talk of CanJam I actually dreamt last night that I flew from the UK to LA specially for CanJam.
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif
- chance would be a fine thing.
icon10.gif
All this talk must be getting to me.
biggrin.gif

why can't you post impressions?

May 29, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #150 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why can't you post impressions?

Because he's a manufacturer sponsor and it's against the rules. Read the stickys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back