Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 29, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #196 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hej! I wouldn't necessarily say this. When I first heard the K1000s I felt "wow" and have never been disappointed since.

With this in mind, I'm curious to heard the HD800s at Can Jam
tongue_smile.gif

I look forward to your comparison. Definitely want someone that appreciates the K-1000 to post how they compare

May 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #197 of 6,607
The ODU Connectors are verified as being correct. There will be some available for DIY, but the vendor will have to announce availability and pricing.

May 29, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #198 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions vai! I think this is the most telling thing of good audio equipment, no wow-effect, only by going back to what you had before makes you realize the change.

Keep the "oldies" to when you are in doubt
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't sell them (600 and 650) anyway...if I ever need a pair to travel with....

May 29, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #199 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here it is:

dt880.jpg

I can relate to all the graphs they measured from headphones in that particular review with the headphones i heard (alot).

This is very interesting! I was comparing directly last night the K701 to the DT880/250 ohm. I thought they had similar bass and midrange presence, although there were some differences easily heard on vocals. The most noticeable difference was the high treble, where the DT880/250 had sparkle while the K701 did not.

May 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #201 of 6,607
Thanks for the graphs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure that prof audio which is run by studied audio engineers are more up to the job than stereoplay run by a bunch of storytellers.

The people at «Stereoplay» are EEs as well, and their measuring procedure and equipment (from Brüel & Kjaer AFAIK) is absolutely professional. I don't know what the «storyteller» hint should mean: You can't «tell» a measurement, it speaks for itself.

I can see the differences in the measurement: Yours have less smoothing, so are more «detailed». But that's actually misleading: The greatest deviation from a straight line is in the treble, and there you can't draw valid conclusions for the expectable characteristic from the curves, since they are influenced by the measuring array itself. Moreover individual HRTF would require individual equalization. So smoothing the curves is a good method to make them more «readable».

Quote:

PS: There's really no "more significant" way of measuring headphones.

I wasn't speaking of a more significant way of measuring, but more significant measuring curves. And that's where I have my problems with «your» graphs. I wouldn't want my headphones, in particular my future HD 800, sound like them. I hope it resembles more the «Stereoplay» curve – and I'm sure it does, since both DT 880 and K 701 (and others) are in line with them (according to my listening experience), in contrast (again) to the «Professional Audio» curves. I don't think they've had a hot hand with their HRTF equalization. It may serve their own purpose, but doesn't reflect the sonic result all too well.

What I can read from the last graph: «Einen sehr linearen Frequenzgang hat der Beyerdynamic.» = «The Beyerdynamic has a very linear frequency response.» Does anybody disagree?
confused_face.gif

May 29, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #202 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be happy if the HD800 sound as good my HE60, even if the bass is the same, although I suspect the HD800 will have more bass. A dynamic version of the HE60 wouldn't upset me at all.

Can you comment on the HE60 vs HD800 in terms of sound signature? You don't have to say which is better, just wanted to hear what you think they do similarly or differently. (I can use my HE60 on the HEV70 or my Woo GES which is loads better).

I am the wrong person to answer this; personally, after listening to the HE 90 I never got on with the HE 60 with the standard amp. Spoilt I suppose.

And it's at least 10 years since I listened to the HE 60, anyway.

I'm sorry - the HD 800 really *is* one of those headphones that you really have to listen to for yourself and make your own mind up.

I agree with quite a lot of what has been written so far and agree with those people who have listened properly.

I hope this makes sense, been relaxing with a few glasses of very good French Armagnac this evening.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #203 of 6,607
Upon receiving the headphones they were actually smaller than i expected. Fit is nicely but i can understand an earlier comment that it may get warm wearing them although now after an hour or so of listening they are not uncomfortable in any way. (Jury is out on the ears heating up though)

Well when i got home I listened on the Zana Duex for ten minutes or so until my angry wife said she needed the computer and audio and "wished me to the cornfields." Sheeeesh. (PMS) great timing. So listened for about a half an hour or so on the xcan v3 which is great too actually but not as airy as the Zana. Now back on the Zana for another 30 minutes and got the computer back so here you go.

The HD800s performed well on both amplifiers.

All comparisons were to the HD650s haven't done any to the DX1000s yet because they aren't open headphones anyway.

The 800s are open, airy, detailed and quick. I say all those three points with emphasis. Although the 650s are opened up by the Zana Duex quite a bit they still feel claustrophobic compared to the 800s. The 800s have more of a speaker sound. Going back and forth it is apparent that they are in a different league. The presentation is well balanced and right. About the bass....it is not as strong as the hd650s-I noticed it while a/b testing. Although this was apparent it almost seemed like this was in part due to the more limited soundstage of the hd650s. With the 800s it felt right.

Someone above stated that the 650s soundstage was like having instruments around you, kind of layered in different places. The 800s sound much more natural in their presentation than that.

These really may be my last phones unless i one day own a pair of HE90s.

I feel that i am liking them more and more but even in the first 30 seconds i was impressed.

I just kind of spit this out not very well written but i know people are waiting for impressions and this is my first quick one.

May 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #204 of 6,607
This is the HD800 appreciation thread... Well, here's my non-appreciation post.

At this point, I don't care for these headphones at all. Everything sounds muddy. Sure, the soundstage is wide and spacious but I wouldn't call it accurate. The mids have no lushness or life to them and the treble is just missing life. The bass is powerful enough but again, I wouldn't call this accurate at all. If you listen to speakers, I GUARANTEE you even cheap speakers wouldn't sound like these headphones. I am extremely disappointed. It does make me realize that maybe my modded D5K has a bit too much treble and isn't perfect, but what headphone is. I still much prefer my D5K to the HD800. Unless both drivers in this headphone are defective, they just sound lifeless and anything but natural. I took the dust cloths out from around the driver and this helps a little bit but they are still lifeless. How Sennheiser can say these headphones sound like you're in the room with the musicians is beyond me. I'm sure burn-in will help some but it won't make them something they are not. Very disappointed. $1400? I don't even think they sound like they are worth $400.

Of course these are my initial impressions after listening for 30 minutes, but still, even with time, they nowhere near satisfy my thirst for natural sounding music.

If I am hearing something very different than what everyone else is hearing than maybe these headphones are defective. I guess I'll have to hear at the meet, but I doubt they are defective. It sounds like it has more of a veil than anything I've ever listened to. Or maybe my ears are just different than everyone elses.
frown.gif

I can almost say with a 95% certainty that I will be returning these.

May 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #205 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just kind of spit this out not very well written but i know people are waiting for impressions and this is my first quick one.

We take all we can get. Thanks!
normal_smile .gif

May 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #206 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At this point, I don't care for these headphones at all. Everything sounds muddy. Sure, the soundstage is wide and spacious but I wouldn't call it accurate. The mids have no lushness or life to them and the treble is just missing life. The bass is powerful enough but again, I wouldn't call this accurate at all. If you listen to speakers, I GUARANTEE you even cheap speakers wouldn't sound like these headphones. I am extremely disappointed. It does make me realize that maybe my modded D5K has a bit too much treble and isn't perfect, but what headphone is. I still much prefer my D5K to the HD800. Unless both drivers in this headphone are defective, they just sound lifeless and anything but natural. I took the dust cloths out from around the driver and this helps a little bit but they are still lifeless. How Sennheiser can say these headphones sound like you're in the room with the musicians is beyond me. I'm sure burn-in will help some but it won't make them something they are not. Very disappointed. $1400? I don't even think they sound like they are worth $400.

Of course these are my initial impressions after listening for 30 minutes, but still, even with time, they nowhere near satisfy my thirst for natural sounding music.

If I am hearing something very different than what everyone else is hearing than maybe these headphones are defective. I guess I'll have to hear at the meet, but I doubt they are defective. It sounds like it has more of a veil than anything I've ever listened to. Or maybe my ears are just different than everyone elses.
frown.gif

Are you feeling ok....running a fever maybe?

May 29, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #208 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

All kiding aside if your DK5 mod has too much treble...then your pair may have "issues"...if there was one thing I would call these cans (HD800) is bright....can't imagine anyhting being much brighter..yet listenable...but thats me.

May 29, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #210 of 6,607
Ok, maybe that post sounded harsh. I know I need to give them more time to get used to them. They are very different than anything I've ever listened to, and that's why I'm glad I'm going to CanJam, so I can listen to all different flavors.

I apologize for that post, but honestly, they just sound lifeless to me. They sound like they are missing so much in every area of the spectrum. I know 30 minutes isn't enough to evaluate them, but it is enough to get a feel for them. I need to spend lots of time with them and that is time I don't have now, since as it is I probably won't get to the hotel tonight until midnight.

The D5000 and K702 sound much more alike than the HD800 does to either. The HD800 is just in another ballpark, and it's one I'm not used to. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back