Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass
May 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #31 of 41
Glad I could help,dill
Either my headphones or my ears have burned in, but here are the current settings I'm running which tickle my eruption button.

May 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #32 of 41
Haha shakey mate! I try that one too. Thanks again buddy.

May 13, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #33 of 41
Poor sub bass was half the reason i sent back my fidelio x1s for a pair of 650s. Personally I can't stand the steep roll off coming from a pair of denon d2000s which are pretty much ruler  flat down to 28hz. Roll off makes the bass extension sound worse than it is on paper. If the x2s sound anything like the x1s, the 650s are your best bet for open can sub bass despite their limitations IMO unless you're willing to go planar magnetic. Again, just my opinion, you've actually heard both and seem to prefer the x2, so if it's what sounds better to you, go for it.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #34 of 41
Digging up the corpse here, but had to add my .02 to the thread.  I currently own the X2, HD650 and have briefly listened to the X1.  I didn't like the X1 due to flabby nature of the bass but I love my X2 and HD650.  The HD650 peak occurs higher up in the bass frequency than the X2.  This gives the impression of a "lack" of sub bass, while the X2 peaks out around 80 (ish) hertz in the bass frequencies which gives a stronger presence to the sub bass but falls off hard after.  If I pull the HE-500 into the equation it's bass extension leaves both headphones in the dust as its roll off is much more gradual.  I find the mid range texture on the X2 to leave something to be desired, this is where I feel the HD650 truly outshines the X2.  HD650 sub bass also gets much better with proper amplification as its high impedance really requires some power to properly drive the low end.  The X2's treble is also a tad grainy compared to the buttery smooth HD650.

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #35 of 41
  Digging up the corpse here, but had to add my .02 to the thread.  I currently own the X2, HD650 and have briefly listened to the X1.  I didn't like the X1 due to flabby nature of the bass but I love my X2 and HD650.  The HD650 peak occurs higher up in the bass frequency than the X2.  This gives the impression of a "lack" of sub bass, while the X2 peaks out around 80 (ish) hertz in the bass frequencies which gives a stronger presence to the sub bass but falls off hard after.  If I pull the HE-500 into the equation it's bass extension leaves both headphones in the dust as its roll off is much more gradual.  I find the mid range texture on the X2 to leave something to be desired, this is where I feel the HD650 truly outshines the X2.  HD650 sub bass also gets much better with proper amplification as its high impedance really requires some power to properly drive the low end.  The X2's treble is also a tad grainy compared to the buttery smooth HD650.

+1 the HD650's midrange is simply unbeatable unless you are willing to spend 3x more. Just like the fantastic midrange on Shure IEMs, the HD650 is truly the highlight of the headphone.

Don't get me wrong the 650s treble and low end are far from perfect, but the vocals on the 650 just sound so good and relaxing to listen to for hours on end. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #36 of 41
Don't totally rule out the option of doing a little EQ to obtain the balance you prefer. My Emotiva Stealth DC-1 comes with a defeatable +2 db at 20hz boost though I can't say that small a punch that far down but just goes to show there's no hard and fast rules.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #37 of 41
I've had my HD 650 since 2012.  Paired it with the Bottlehead Crack and ended up selling the Crack.  (No improvement to my ears, still veiled).  Tried it with the Musical Fidelity M1HPA with some improvement but not enough to shout about.  I how have a new DAC (Calyx Femto) and HP amp (SPL Phonitor 2) and this combination makes the 650's sound WAY better than I ever thought they could (even unbalanced using its regular cable).  The treble extends to the height of whatever was originally on the recording.  The mids are buttery warm and detailed.  The bass hits as hard as the recording and is NOT a one note thump but detailed enough to distinguish each bass instrument from the other.  I have the HD 800 and use it to listen to classical and some jazz.  Next to the 650 (most of the music I listen too sounds a bit thin on the 800's though the detail and soundstage if far superior so I'm keeping them, too).  I also have the Audeze LCD X which I'm finding isn't really my taste.  Though the bass is wonderfully deep and present, I find it kind of dark.  Though the X plays the highs it just isn't present enough for me.  I like everything neutral, highs, mids and  lows.  The 650's fit that bill very well for me with no equalization.  

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #38 of 41
  I've had my HD 650 since 2012.  Paired it with the Bottlehead Crack and ended up selling the Crack.  (No improvement to my ears, still veiled).  Tried it with the Musical Fidelity M1HPA with some improvement but not enough to shout about.  I how have a new DAC (Calyx Femto) and HP amp (SPL Phonitor 2) and this combination makes the 650's sound WAY better than I ever thought they could (even unbalanced using its regular cable).  The treble extends to the height of whatever was originally on the recording.  The mids are buttery warm and detailed.  The bass hits as hard as the recording and is NOT a one note thump but detailed enough to distinguish each bass instrument from the other.  I have the HD 800 and use it to listen to classical and some jazz.  Next to the 650 (most of the music I listen too sounds a bit thin on the 800's though the detail and soundstage if far superior so I'm keeping them, too).  I also have the Audeze LCD X which I'm finding isn't really my taste.  Though the bass is wonderfully deep and present, I find it kind of dark.  Though the X plays the highs it just isn't present enough for me.  I like everything neutral, highs, mids and  lows.  The 650's fit that bill very well for me with no equalization.  

But surely your new DAC & amp are the equalization in your system? They certainly seem to have modified the sound to the extent that you're now happy with the HD 650.

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #39 of 41
Never quite thought of the Femto and Phonitor 2 as equalization upgrades, but you have a valid point. 
atsmile.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #40 of 41
Marantz HD Dac1 is a nice dac/amp for the HD650 (or every other headphone I tried on the unit).

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #41 of 41
  Marantz HD Dac1 is a nice dac/amp for the HD650 (or every other headphone I tried on the unit).

That surely is a nice piece, I was torn at a crossroads between it and my Emotiva DC-1.  Price difference and then a sale at Emotiva pushed me over the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back