Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass
Feb 15, 2015 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
I have had my HD650's for a while now (about 3 months or more) and they sound great coming straight out of my motherboard which is advertised with a 600 ohm amp; here is my motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K23BYCI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got the Phillips Fidelio X2's a couple days ago and I think they sound pretty similar but have brighter highs, more sub bass, better bass overall, and a better sound stage. I think the mids on the HD650's sound better though and I like the size and fit of them much more. I wish I could have the HD650's with the Fidelio X2 sound.

My question is, can I get more sub bass so I can feel the rumble and like the X2's give by pairing my HD650's with an amp (either SS or Tube) and dac? If so I would definitely keep the HD650's because that's the only thing that I really feel is missing from them. The sound stage although not as good as the X2's as I have said is good enough for me and my genres. Also the highs don't matter too much because I don't see much of a difference between them and I like a darker headphone anyway.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 41
  I have had my HD650's for a while now (about 3 months or more) and they sound great coming straight out of my motherboard which is advertised with a 600 ohm amp; here is my motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K23BYCI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got the Phillips Fidelio X2's a couple days ago and I think they sound pretty similar but have brighter highs, more sub bass, better bass overall, and a better sound stage. I think the mids on the HD650's sound better though and I like the size and fit of them much more. I wish I could have the HD650's with the Fidelio X2 sound.

My question is, can I get more sub bass so I can feel the rumble and like the X2's give by pairing my HD650's with an amp (either SS or Tube) and dac? If so I would definitely keep the HD650's because that's the only thing that I really feel is missing from them. The sound stage although not as good as the X2's as I have said is good enough for me and my genres. Also the highs don't matter too much because I don't see much of a difference between them and I like a darker headphone anyway.

Yes, your motherboard is the bottleneck. 

EDIT: Sorry for not addressing your question fully. Any DAC paired with any SS or tube amp will be miles better than the one integrated in your motherboard. The HD650 scales extremely well depending on the source you feed it. You will definitely notice a more coherent headphone right away with better imaging and detail. You should also notice a slightly larger soundstage although the HD650s are not known for their huge soundstage. If soundstage is what you are looking for you should consider the HD598.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 41

I have virtually the same experience. I've done comparisons on five different amps both SS and tube. The X2s still sound better to me then the HD650s in most cases. Luckily I find the X2s more comfortable then the HD650s. I wish I could tell you that an amp is your answer, but I can't. At least not in my case.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 41

Yes, your motherboard is the bottleneck. 

EDIT: Sorry for not addressing your question fully. Any DAC paired with any SS or tube amp will be miles better than the one integrated in your motherboard. The HD650 scales extremely well depending on the source you feed it. You will definitely notice a more coherent headphone right away with better imaging and detail. You should also notice a slightly larger soundstage although the HD650s are not known for their huge soundstage. If soundstage is what you are looking for you should consider the HD598.

You are correct about the HD598s. Mine are an equal to X2s in that respect. But the X2s have that nice rich bottom end. It is really enjoyable.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 41
The sound stage of the X2's and is great and I'm not really disappointed by the HD650's either. The only thing I feel the HD650 is not giving me is the rich bass (mostly sub bass) that the X2 does. That's really the only thing I would change about the HD650's at least with the setup that I have now. So really the only question is, is am I going to get a, for lack of better words, better bass response especially sub bass level if I were to pair it with an amp/dac than what I am getting right now?

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 41
  The sound stage of the X2's and is great and I'm not really disappointed by the HD650's either. The only thing I feel the HD650 is not giving me is the rich bass (mostly sub bass) that the X2 does. That's really the only thing I would change about the HD650's at least with the setup that I have now. So really the only question is, is am I going to get a, for lack of better words, better bass response especially sub bass level if I were to pair it with an amp/dac than what I am getting right now?

I doubt it.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 41
That sucks now I have to make a choice between the more comfortable one (for me at least) and the one that sounds better (opinion also obviously). I have a love/hate relationship with this hobby.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 41
That sucks now I have to make a choice between the more comfortable one (for me at least) and the one that sounds better (opinion also obviously). I have a love/hate relationship with this hobby.

Although I've never heard the x2 personally I heard it has a v shaped sound signature. If that's the type of music you are into I don't think the hd650 will suit you well. However, if you prefer detail and accuracy, the hd650 will provide that better than the x2. And I do not agree with Rick, the HD650s scale incredibly well a lot better than most headphones out there. For the hd650 to shine it all depends on the source and amplification.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 41
Although I've never heard the x2 personally I heard it has a v shaped sound signature. If that's the type of music you are into I don't think the hd650 will suit you well. However, if you prefer detail and accuracy, the hd650 will provide that better than the x2. And I do not agree with Rick, the HD650s scale incredibly well a lot better than most headphones out there. For the hd650 to shine it all depends on the source and amplification.

I can assure you that the X2's are not V shaped, they are quite balanced. Some people may think the mids are a bit recessed because of weighty low end and the nice extension and detail in the highs but the mids are also forward and not distant at all. I have tried a decent amount of headphones including the ath-m50's, nad viso hp50, fidelio x1's, hd 600's, shure srh1540's, and a couple others I can't think of right now and I have always went back to the HD650's because I love their sound. That being said the X2's have a better overall sound than the HD650's do (to my ears). By saying they "scale" well what does this actually mean? Will I get more out of the bass, mids, and highs or what are you saying? What amp/dac would you recommend? My budget for amplification and a dac would be $300.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 41
I can assure you that the X2's are not V shaped, they are quite balanced. Some people may think the mids are a bit recessed because of weighty low end and the nice extension and detail in the highs but the mids are also forward and not distant at all. I have tried a decent amount of headphones including the ath-m50's, nad viso hp50, fidelio x1's, hd 600's, shure srh1540's, and a couple others I can't think of right now and I have always went back to the HD650's because I love their sound. That being said the X2's have a better overall sound than the HD650's do (to my ears). By saying they "scale" well what does this actually mean? Will I get more out of the bass, mids, and highs or what are you saying? What amp/dac would you recommend? My budget for amplification and a dac would be $300.

Yes, that's what I mean. A lot of people prefer tube amps for the hd650 for a warmer sweeter sound. Check out the valhalla or the bottlehead crack these seem to be a popular pairing with the hd650s. I'm sure you could find others but just quoting what the consensus has been.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 41
Yes, that's what I mean. A lot of people prefer tube amps for the hd650 for a warmer sweeter sound. Check out the valhalla or the bottlehead crack these seem to be a popular pairing with the hd650s. I'm sure you could find others but just quoting what the consensus has been.

When I said I'd tried the comparison on several amps I meant it. I used my Vali, Magni, Valhalla 2, Asgard 2 and Lyr. The X2s came out on top in every instance. The HD650s are great cans, but I now prefer the X2s for most genres. Perhaps not a popular opinion, but it is what it is.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 41
  When I said I'd tried the comparison on several amps I meant it. I used my Vali, Magni, Valhalla 2, Asgard 2 and Lyr. The X2s came out on top in every instance. The HD650s are great cans, but I now prefer the X2s for most genres. Perhaps not a popular opinion, but it is what it is.

You are probably right. Again, my posts were just pure speculation on the x2 as I have not heard them before. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 41

You are probably right. Again, my posts were just pure speculation on the x2 as I have not heard them before. 

You need to try a pair. I think you will be impressed.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 41

Did you notice a difference in any of the frequencies when you tried the HD650's with any of the amps (specifically the tubes)? As I said I want to keep the HD650's I just want some more out of it's low end.

You need to try a pair. I think you will be impressed.

This^^^^

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #15 of 41
On every amp I tried the X2s had a superior bass signature. I found little difference in bass using any amp with the HD650s, and I would expect little difference as an amp should do little to color a signal if properly designed.  If you are looking for a magic bullet to improve the bottom end on the HD650s short of some EQ I don't have it.  Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back