Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass
Feb 16, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #16 of 41
  The sound stage of the X2's and is great and I'm not really disappointed by the HD650's either. The only thing I feel the HD650 is not giving me is the rich bass (mostly sub bass) that the X2 does. That's really the only thing I would change about the HD650's at least with the setup that I have now. So really the only question is, is am I going to get a, for lack of better words, better bass response especially sub bass level if I were to pair it with an amp/dac than what I am getting right now?

I may have found something. It's called the FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier. It features a bass boost adjustment. I have no idea if it will work for you, but it is worth exploring.

May 7, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #19 of 41
Sadly the Fiio E11 does nothing for the 650. I tried for months to get any sub bass outta my pair thru different amps, dacs, EQ - just not happening I'm afraid. I now have the Philips x2. Trust me and everyone else here...its the only solution! Wow it is indeed a far far better headphone in every respect. My Senns are going on ebay.

Best of luck whatever ya do man.

May 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #20 of 41
Sadly the Fiio E11 does nothing for the 650. I tried for months to get any sub bass outta my pair thru different amps, dacs, EQ - just not happening I'm afraid. I now have the Philips x2. Trust me and everyone else here...its the only solution! Wow it is indeed a far far better headphone in every respect. My Senns are going on ebay.

Best of luck whatever ya do man.

The only thing the X2 has over the HD650 is more sub bass and only a tad.

May 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #21 of 41
The only thing the X2 has over the HD650 is more sub bass and only a tad.

Of course, we have to beg to disagree. You own ears are the judge,and YMMV as we all look for different things. Tryin to get blood out of a stone just wasn't working for me.

May 8, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 41
The HD650 is capable of plenty of sub-bass without fancy cables or amps ( an amp is still required tho).
PM me for a way to get impressive sub-bass from your HD650s for free.

May 8, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #23 of 41
The HD650 is capable of plenty of sub-bass without fancy cables or amps ( an amp is still required tho).
PM me for a way to get impressive sub-bass from your HD650s for free.
PM sent!

May 9, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #25 of 41
Can you just say it here so everyone and anyone can see without having to PM you, please?

Lol. Shake has been kind and I'm testing shake's advice out. But of course he has to agree to provide it in public Lol.

May 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #26 of 41
It's interesting that the X2 has more sub-bass than the HD 650, because according to measurements, their bass looks similar in the way they drop off!

Actually, the HD 650 looks to have more bass. But headphone measurements aren't perfect anyway.

I can't wait to see Shake's "neat trick."

May 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #27 of 41
It's interesting that the X2 has more sub-bass than the HD 650, because according to measurements, their bass looks similar in the way they drop off!

Actually, the HD 650 looks to have more bass. But headphone measurements aren't perfect anyway.

I can't wait to see Shake's "neat trick."

Yes strange innit? But Tyll spoke to this too and his view is the X2 measures weird compared to its actual sound signature. I have said elsewhere perhaps its that my Asgard2 isnt able to fully tease out the sub bass due to 650 havin high impedence of upto 500ohms as opposed to the easier load of the X2? Dunno. But hearing is believing in my case with these 2 cans i guess.

May 9, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #28 of 41
Can you just say it here so everyone and anyone can see without having to PM you, please?

Lol. Shake has been kind and I'm testing shake's advice out. But of course he has to agree to provide it in public Lol.

It's not a secret. I wasn't going to make the effort to spell it out if there was no interest.
I use equalization in addition to a foobar2k add-on (channel mixer).

And of course, everyone has different upstream equipment as well as personal tastes, so some tweaking will be necessary.

May 9, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #29 of 41
Originally Posted by shake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a secret. I wasn't going to make the effort to spell it out if there was no interest.

Trust me, we're interested. If it improves the sub-bass, that is.

Edit:Yay! Thanks for the tip! Have you tried a parametric EQ, such as Electri-Q?

May 12, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #30 of 41
Right done the sub bass configuration as advised by shake. Errrrr.

It bleedin well works! There's more sub bass than any Dr Dre fanbois could ever care for. Waaaay too much for me lol. I use it sparingly for older bass light music.

Cheers Shake ..you is da sub bass messiah in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back