Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 31, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #34,051 of 46,554

You might be surprised with the ZMF.  I wouldn't send them away till you try it with the Valhalla 2...

Supposedly the Valhalla 2 is OK with low impedance cans...

I'll find out soon enough.  If anything, I could just get a used Magni 2 for cheap.

May 31, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #34,054 of 46,554
  Isn't the E10K a DAC/amp combo?  Also the Dragonfly 1.2 is a DAC/amp combo unless I'm mistaken.  Have you considered a DAP?  Some say the Pono in balanced mode is quite good with the HD-650 and I've tried my Fiio X3 & X3ii, they will get the HD-650 quite loud at about 90/120, they don't sound as good as the BH Crack or Ember but are much cheaper.  If you want clean neutral many like the ODAC/O2 combo and for the price its quite good if you like the sound signature (to be honest it didn't work for me but its a preference, not a indication of the quality).

Hey Dave, no the e10k is just a DAC. There's that many of them lol! i have the Xduoo X3 DAP which is excellent and it's Rockbox'd so manages to get decent volume. I will be using my HD650s 90% of the time on my laptop. The DF 1.2 was at first just for something discreet and compact, but I've heard great things about the sound. Again, i was just unsure whether it would power the 650s to a decent and fun level. I will have a look at those options, thanks

May 31, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #34,055 of 46,554
Hey Dave, no the e10k is just a DAC. There's that many of them lol! i have the Xduoo X3 DAP which is excellent and it's Rockbox'd so manages to get decent volume. I will be using my HD650s 90% of the time on my laptop. The DF 1.2 was at first just for something discreet and compact, but I've heard great things about the sound. Again, i was just unsure whether it would power the 650s to a decent and fun level. I will have a look at those options, thanks

Its a DAC and amp

May 31, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #34,056 of 46,554

The e10k definitely has a headphone amp, not sure where you got that information - that's why it also has a line out.

EDIT - @SirMarc got there first...

May 31, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #34,058 of 46,554
@SirMarc, @swmkdr, thanks for update on the e10k, I though I was having a brain fart moment
eek.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #34,059 of 46,554
About to pull the trigger on some HD 650's. Coming from the HE-400, what should i expect?

My main problems with the HE-400 were the piercingly sibilant treble and the recessed mids, making me want somewhat of a neutral headphone with a little more bass than completely neutral. I will say i listen to a lot of genres ranging from hip hop to electronic to rock to jazz etc etc. Will be using a schiit m/m stack as well. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #34,060 of 46,554
  About to pull the trigger on some HD 650's. Coming from the HE-400, what should i expect?

My main problems with the HE-400 were the piercingly sibilant treble and the recessed mids, making me want somewhat of a neutral headphone with a little more bass than completely neutral. I will say i listen to a lot of genres ranging from hip hop to electronic to rock to jazz etc etc. Will be using a schiit m/m stack as well. 

I have both the HE400 and the HD650. The HE400 has slightly more bass impact, but the HD650 is a superior headphone in all other frequencies.

The HE400 is superior if you like a lot of electronic music in my opinion, however for Hip Hop, rock, jazz, and most other genres the HD650 is the clear winner.
The HD650 will also scale a lot better then the HE400, so the better your set up, the better they will continue to get. It takes some very expensive equipment before they will plateau.

HD650 has a very relaxed treble compared to the HE400 and wonderful mids, so I think you will like them.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #34,061 of 46,554

Might want to look at HE-400i or even the new HE-400S if you will be staying with the m/m stack.  If planning to get a OTL or hybrid amp down the line then go with the HD-650.

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #34,062 of 46,554
If you could handle the form factor & weight of 400, maybe look at the HE500, I guess you can find them for USD350/400. Fantastic headphones.
I owned almost all headphones <1K new and HE500/HD650 are to me the best bang for the buck available and definitely the best you can buy for USD500

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #34,063 of 46,554
New to Head-Fi and i'm planning to build a system around Senn HD650. I chose this headphone based mainly on reading the several headphone impression threads as I do not have the pleasure of auditioning different brands/models of headphones in our area.

Project Polaris is already in order but have not decided yet on what DAC to get, but I'm leaning on either Bifrost or Bifrost Multibit.

Just curious. If building a system around HD650, what is your end game Amp and Dac.

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #34,064 of 46,554
  New to Head-Fi and i'm planning to build a system around Senn HD650. I chose this headphone based mainly on reading the several headphone impression threads as I do not have the pleasure of auditioning different brands/models of headphones in our area.

Project Polaris is already in order but have not decided yet on what DAC to get, but I'm leaning on either Bifrost or Bifrost Multibit.

Just curious. If building a system around HD650, what is your end game Amp and Dac.

Thanks.

Awesome choice, the HD650 is one of the best audiophile headphones to have as a starting point, the HD650 is up there with the best of the best and it cost way less than it's brothers of equalness
biggrin.gif

Endgame Dac, is going to be a tough one I'm still looking, maybe Chord Hugo TT, also depends on what signature you prefer. Endgame Amp, if solid-state GS-X mk2, if tube I wouldn't know maybe Balancing Act

Hope this helps Cheers

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #34,065 of 46,554
Based on what I have heard with my own ears so far. 

DAC: Chord Hugo 
AMP. Auralic Taurus MKII 

I did hear more expensive systems but it really wasn't worth the money according to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back