Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #34,081 of 46,554
  New to Head-Fi and i'm planning to build a system around Senn HD650. I chose this headphone based mainly on reading the several headphone impression threads as I do not have the pleasure of auditioning different brands/models of headphones in our area.

Project Polaris is already in order but have not decided yet on what DAC to get, but I'm leaning on either Bifrost or Bifrost Multibit.

Just curious. If building a system around HD650, what is your end game Amp and Dac.

Thanks.

As the others have noted there are a lot of choices out there.
My choices:
Under $1000: Bifrost 4490 and BH Crack
Under $2000: MHDT Stockholm 2 and Elise
Over $2000: MHDT Pagoda or AudioGD Master 7 and EC Balancing Act or Liquid Gold

I've heard all except the Elise but have read enough for others who have similar taste to know that the Elise is about as good as it gets for under $1k OTL amp

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #34,082 of 46,554
Thank you, everyone for the warm welcome.

As noted in my post, I have already ordered a Project Polaris amp. But I will most likely buy a one tube amp (Project Ember, Project Sunrise/Horizon or Vali 2) to familiarize/educate myself to tube rolling. I don't think I'm ready to assemble a Bottlehead Crack at the moment but I am seriously considering the option.

As for the DAC. The Bifrost 4490 is currently on backorder (2-3 weeks) but the Bifrost Multibit is in stock. Is $200 worth the difference or should I just wait for the Bifrost 4490.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #34,083 of 46,554
  Thank you, everyone for the warm welcome.

As noted in my post, I have already ordered a Project Polaris amp. But I will most likely buy a one tube amp (Project Ember, Project Sunrise/Horizon or Vali 2) to familiarize/educate myself to tube rolling. I don't think I'm ready to assemble a Bottlehead Crack at the moment but I am seriously considering the option.

As for the DAC. The Bifrost 4490 is currently on backorder (2-3 weeks) but the Bifrost Multibit is in stock. Is $200 worth the difference or should I just wait for the Bifrost 4490.

No, I have the MB and the Uber but when I heard a 4490 I liked it more than the other 2.  Probably why the 4490 is back ordered.

As for the BH Crack, they come up for sale every once in a while but I think its a great project to learn a little while you build it.  I was able to build mine in about 14 hours, would have been faster if I wasn't drinking wine and talking with my GF.

I would stay with the Polaris for a while before deciding on another amp.  If you ever get other headphones then your choice of amp might change but if only staying with the HD-650 and maybe moving up to the HD-800 or T1 then I think a OTL amp (BH Crack) would be a better choice than the Ember.  Another amp that has been said to be a great value is the Elise, a little more pricy but gives you access to many more tube families to roll.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #34,086 of 46,554
I have a 4490 and I'm very impressed with it. I'm predominantly a vinyl guy, and I was pleasantly surprised by how analog it sounds for a 'relatively' cheap dac

Have you compared the Multibit to the 4490? I feel like I'd be missing out if I don't pony up for the multibit. But it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Welcome to Headfi, menieres!

End game for me is analog rig. It blows away any DAC I have heard in every aspect.

I'm using the VPI Classic 2 Companion presently. It sounds extremely detailed, realistic, and exposes layers in the music that were never apparent in years of listening with the 650's.

As for amplifiers, the Eddie Current Zana Deux is a truly end game amp for the 650's. I have not heard better synergy.

As for DACs that sound good, I can recommend the Multibit Gungnir. It is exceptional for the price. The Yggdrasil is slightly more revealing, but I would venture into analog if detail and multi layering is what you desire.

On a budget, Bottlehead Crack is a great amp, as well as Valhalla 2. Either could be end game on a budget with the right tubes. I would also recommend the Geek Out v2 as an extremely capable DAC/amp combo.

Have fun, the 650's are great headphones. I also found they were improved with the dynamat mods.

I have only a modest DAC (Beresford Caiman) and an SL-1200 M3D turntable. The 650s hooked to my Yamaha C-65 preamp headphone output with the turntable is something special, my gear isn't even really high end and you get that 3d space effect of layered sounds. My favorite new record to listen to is Sia's Colour The Small One side two, a track called Moon.The glockenspiel (or other similar instrument, not sure) with the guitar strings and vocals is amazing. Definitely getting more vinyl for my collection soon. Got a jico elliptical stylus for my v15 III cart so I'm ready.

I've got my eye on a Bimby someday and an OTL amp too. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #34,087 of 46,554

Quote:
  New to Head-Fi and i'm planning to build a system around Senn HD650. I chose this headphone based mainly on reading the several headphone impression threads as I do not have the pleasure of auditioning different brands/models of headphones in our area.

Project Polaris is already in order but have not decided yet on what DAC to get, but I'm leaning on either Bifrost or Bifrost Multibit.

Just curious. If building a system around HD650, what is your end game Amp and Dac.

Thanks.

Welcome to Head-fi, the site you join to watch your wallet die
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #34,088 of 46,554
Thank you.

It's final then.  I will just wait for the Bifrost 4490.

The other reasons why I want to get an inexpensive single tube amp is I want know what a tube amp sounds, how it differs from solid state sound, if I can differ one from the other and which one I will like more.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #34,089 of 46,554
Have you compared the Multibit to the 4490? I feel like I'd be missing out if I don't pony up for the multibit. But it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

I have only a modest DAC (Beresford Caiman) and an SL-1200 M3D turntable. The 650s hooked to my Yamaha C-65 preamp headphone output with the turntable is something special, my gear isn't even really high end and you get that 3d space effect of layered sounds. My favorite new record to listen to is Sia's Colour The Small One.The xylophone (or other similar instrument, not sure) with the guitar strings and vocals is amazing. Definitely getting more vinyl for my collection soon. Got a jico elliptical stylus for my v15 III cart so I'm ready.

I've got my eye on a Bimby someday and an OTL amp too. 

That's a nice table and cart.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #34,090 of 46,554
That's a nice table and cart.

Thanks, maybe it is a better setup than I thought. In the past a lot of people weren't into direct drive TTs for high end audio.

It was between the v15 III and an M97xe from amazon, so I went with the vintage cartridge years back when I got the 1200 as a gift to go with my vintage speaker rig. Fun fact, the SL-1200 belonged to and was used by The Black Eyed Pea's DJ POET before it came into my possession. (legit, was a thank you for a tattoo design my bro did for him gratis So I'm never allowed to sell it as a condition of the gift.)

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #34,091 of 46,554
Thanks, maybe it is a better setup than I thought. In the past a lot of people weren't into direct drive TTs for high end audio.

It was between the v15 III and an M97xe from amazon, so I went with the vintage cartridge years back when I got the 1200 as a gift to go with my vintage speaker rig.

Good choice there. The v15 is a much better cart. Rest easy man, that's a very solid set up you have there

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #34,095 of 46,554
I got one of my TT out of storage:

It has a V15 type 3 cart:

And I totally forgot to get one of the 2 pre-amps I had in storage along with one of the 10 boxes of albums :frowning2: .

Now I have to make a lot of space in my listening area to fit this stuff :rolleyes:

You're crazy man lol, pull out the lp12 and have a long talk with the woman...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back