Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #1,426 of 46,554

Quote:
i have a quick question about the 650s, thought id ask here instead of making a new thread.
will my ibasso d2 drive them as a usb dac/amp from imac ok?
cheers

Might drive them 'okay' but you'd want a better amp.

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #1,427 of 46,554
I've done the foam mod (front and back) but ended up putting the foam back on the front because of the hair that would get in and rattle. I know you can put nylon in but I have no idea how to get it in and how to secure.
The thread that used to show how to do it disappeared and I don't really see how the nylon is supposed to go in.

EDIT:
I went ahead and did some problem solving. I just used some electrical tape to hold it in place so that I could put the pads on which kept it stretched. It sounds better than foam in or out, I like it!

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #1,428 of 46,554
Does anyone know how to wear the 650s "properly"? I mean, how exactly are they supposed to be on your head, what level do they need to be in relation to your ear canal? Does the middle of the 650s driver need to be level with it? This is what I've figured and adjusted my phones to that and know they just feel really strange in the new position. Although they do sound different.... is this how they're supposed to sit? I've been wearing them for months with about three clicks of adjustable length on either side. What about everyone else?

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #1,429 of 46,554
IMO, I now wear it so that the maximum surface area of the headband applies firm and even pressure on the top of the head - this occurs at the very front of my head and also again towards the back of my head.  The reason is to dampen as much vibration as possible by planting the headband as securely as possible - less of an issue than with my D7000s, but I am hearing a smidgen of better clarity doing it this way.  With the D7000's the effect is very noticeable and clarity much improved when physical bass vibrations are damped by even weight distribution of the headband.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #1,430 of 46,554
Oddly enough, I've discovered that my 650's sound best with an asymmetrical headband length - the left being one click lower than the right.  I'm not sure why, but it works perfectly for me.   I can only assume that I must have a lopsided head.  For some unknown reason, when I adjust the headband at equal lengths, the bass seems like its shifted to the left a little - not centered.  As far as overall positioning goes, my ear canals sit about 2/3 of the way down inside of the cushion oval.  Extending the headband anything beyond feels strange - like the headphones are clamping the top of my neck.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #1,431 of 46,554
lol. Sounds like your head is just slightly lopsided. Don't stress about it. When I wear IEM's, I have to use different sized tips for my left and right ear. Just do whatever sounds/fits the best to you. :wink:

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #1,432 of 46,554
LOL!! Exactly what I was thinking but didn't say it. My ears are not only lopsided, but my left hears better than my right.

By the way, picked up my HD650s yesterday. Ken's re-cable is just sick. And I'm so glad I had him put a mini plug on it! I'm diving in ears first, and not bothering to leave them at home burning in for days prior to enjoying them. I've only listened to them loud for about an hour and they sounded great but not as good as the burned in phones I auditioned. That's fine with me. I'm looking forward to experiencing the subtle sonic differences. I do have about eight hours of quiet listening. (Trying not to disturb my coworkers.) They sound fantastic at low volumes with a surprising dynamic frequency range. More to come...

Quote:
lol. Sounds like your head is just slightly lopsided. Don't stress about it. When I wear IEM's, I have to use different sized tips for my left and right ear. Just do whatever sounds/fits the best to you. :wink:

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #1,433 of 46,554
I got a good deal on some mint HD650's that had very few hours on them. I'm ready to join this club if all turns well
smily_headphones1.gif
I should have these by next week, I have a Woo Audio 3 and a Musiland Monitor 02 US as my source.

what can i expect guys?
popcorn.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,434 of 46,554

Quote:
I got a good deal on some mint HD650's that had very few hours on them. I'm ready to join this club if all turns well
smily_headphones1.gif
I should have these by next week, I have a Woo Audio 3 and a Musiland Monitor 02 US as my source.

what can i expect guys?
popcorn.gif

A perfect match with your amp, and many hours of listening :)

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #1,436 of 46,554
I wear mine with the back of the cushion resting on the back of my ear.  If I put my ear in the middle I get too much air leakage and loose bass and the soundstage is not forward enough.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #1,437 of 46,554

Hooray! It should turn out well if you don't prefer your phones overly bright. You can expect excellent tonal and frequency accuracy, detail, balance, and real sounding bass that doesn't boom or distract. They have the best sounding dynamic driver I've ever heard. You can also expect poor masterings to sound like utter poo. 
frown.gif
 I have a heavy metal album and the gain is so high and the phase issues are so bad I actually feel nausea using the Senns.
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

what can i expect guys?
popcorn.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #1,439 of 46,554
Wow. These little drivers really sing. I've always been shy of dynamic drivers having had "furniture" and bookshelf speakers most of my life. Historically, I maintain the rule-of-thumb that anything that tries to do a number of things well, usually ends up doing a mediocre job at best. The HD650 is (along with maybe Leathermans) an exception to that rule. Tonight's the first chance I've had to really drive these things. The Headstage Arrow's on GAIN III, FLACs are on the Cowon J3, and I'm spinning some damn respectable audiophile material. (Anawaty/Russell's, Monjour) I mentioned this earlier, but the bass sounds real to me. Authentic. No unwanted chassis (May I call it that?) resonance. I don't hear the veil. Everything is there where it should be and details are exquisitely rendered.

My perception of soundstage may, admittedly, be skewed. I haven't had a decent speaker system for a while. I'm not sure that's relevant though. This just sounds right to me. Like just-right porridge. Now that the cans and the ALO cables have approximately thirty hours on them, besides the obvious question, "Will they sound even better in time?" I have just one other question: are you kidding me?

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #1,440 of 46,554
After doing the rounds with all my headphones - I have come home to the HD650.  I found new synergy with my MingDa amp and this combo gets the most use - I am finding the sounstage to be quite nice and imaging is superb.  It may miss out on the technical details like transient response and the likes, but in terms of musical harmony and musical detailed rifs and "chord effects" of multiple instruments - the HD650 captures these with no loss of detail - as far as my opinions are concerned.  The only upgrade path for my HD650 experience is a new cable and possibly going balanced.  After doing this the only logical step for me afterward is the LCD2...these should hopefully capture a similar tonal balance with a fine focus effect - I feel the HD650 has a soft image effect, which can be superb for the increasingly poorer recorded material that exist, and smearing THD to reduce fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back