Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #13,606 of 46,554
Personally, I don't love my 650s paired with my o2. I like the o2 far better with both dt880s and westone 4s.

Throw a good otl tube amp into the mix though (eg bottlehead crack or zd) and the 650s are in a whole different league than the above, and about as enjoyable as headfi gets until you can swing a pair of hd800s. Woo amps are very nice with 650s as well but aside from the wa5,a little too smooth and lacking in dynamics and punch to show off hd800s.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #13,609 of 46,554
negative. lyr is a hybrid amp that was designed to drive low impedance orthos. otl refers to a tube amp that does not use output transformers. they are high voltage swing low current amps that are generally only suitable for driving high impedance headphones because they have a high impedance output.

Well known otl's include the crack, original zana deux, woo 3, woo 2, valhalla, and some of the dark voice and little dot offerings.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #13,610 of 46,554
  No, but Lyr is

Well, no. 
Check out the descriptions at the Schiit site. 

The Lyr is hybrid, using SS devices to achieve very high output power.  Solid State output stages don't use output transformers, so it can't be "less" of one.  :wink:

The Valhalla is many things at once that are desirable to tube lovers, yet it is not a "tubey" euphonia or coloration.  Objectively, yes, the measurements would probably show more low-order distortion due to zero feedback, and other signatures of single-ended triode operation (not that I know what those are at the moment....).  

The Magni is entirely solid state, discrete (not op amps). 

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #13,611 of 46,554
negative. lyr is a hybrid amp that was designed to drive low impedance orthos. otl refers to a tube amp that does not use output transformers. they are high voltage swing low current amps that are generally only suitable for driving high impedance headphones because they have a high impedance output.

Well known otl's include the crack, original zana deux, woo 3, woo 2, valhalla, and some of the dark voice and little dot offerings.

Sorry for mistake and thanks for correction

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #13,615 of 46,554
Sorry for mistake and thanks for correction

No worries! Way back when (around or possibly before I joined headfi), UncleErik wrote a really nice post summarizing the different types of popular headphone amps, the headphones (based on impedance and sensitivity) that they are intended to drive, and some generalizations about the sort of sound signature one might expect from SS, hybrids, otl's and transformer coupled tube amps. There were a lot of requests that it be stickied, but that never happened for whatever reason. I have been searching but am having trouble finding it. I'll try to remember to make another run at it later on.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #13,616 of 46,554
[quote name="olegausany" url="/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread/13590_30#post_9780954"]Sorry for mistake and thanks for correction
No worries! Way back when (around or possibly before I joined headfi), UncleErik wrote a really nice post summarizing the different types of popular headphone amps, the headphones (based on impedance and sensitivity) that they are intended to drive, and some generalizations about the sort of sound signature one might expect from SS, hybrids, otl's and transformer coupled tube amps. There were a lot of requests that it be stickied, but that never happened for whatever reason. I have been searching but am having trouble finding it. I'll try to remember to make another run at it later on.[/quote]

Thanks will be really interesting to read
I have to hear Crack with Speedball yet but found one for sale a little bit late so have to either new to be built or for different seller ad

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #13,617 of 46,554
After reading many many reviews, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Magni/Modi combo for my HD 650 in a few weeks. 

Do you guys know how well this amp/dac combo pairs with other headphones, specifically the HiFiMan HE-500 or the LCD's just in case I want to change headphones in the future? I enjoy good treble definition/clarity. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #13,618 of 46,554
After reading many many reviews, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Magni/Modi combo for my HD 650 in a few weeks. 

Do you guys know how well this amp/dac combo pairs with other headphones, specifically the HiFiMan HE-500 or the LCD's just in case I want to change headphones in the future? I enjoy good treble definition/clarity. 

Sounds like a pretty good choice. I think the LCDs deserve a better amp and source than the Magni/Modi, but one step at a time.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #13,619 of 46,554

It does an adequate job driving all three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back