Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #13,081 of 46,554
Quote:

For a reason, only the SR-71 (not "B") specs are listed on the site. 

And what reason is that? Or did you mean "For *some* reason"?

Unless I'm mistaken, the SR-71 (not-B) still doesn't list the output power specs.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #13,082 of 46,554
If the SR-71B isn't the most powerful, its at least one of the most powerful....

Other contenders?  Intruder?  Pico Power?  Rx Mk3?

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #13,083 of 46,554
Quote:

And what reason is that? Or did you mean "For *some* reason"?

Unless I'm mistaken, the SR-71 (not-B) still doesn't list the output power specs.

For some reason that is 
wink.gif

They show the output impedance is 16 ohms. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #13,085 of 46,554
Not sure about the Intruder, whether the amp is the same as in the 71B.

The Protector is not as powerful: 
"SR-71B has better power handling with higher voltage swing & much more powerful buffer to drive the hardest headphones in the World. It is the most powerful amp in the World."

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #13,086 of 46,554
Bout a week ago, old friend of mine dropped by. He had heard my previous cans the Senn HD555 & HD595. But I wanted to let him try my more current gear. Initially, he was more impressed by the 702 Annies with their clarity and crisp details. Cool part was, I got him to listen to the HD650 a bit more with Beethoven's 6th (1st movement) and you could just see him lean back in the chair, close his eyes... and float right off.  After another 20-30 minutes with other tracks he declared the HD650s king... no contest.

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #13,087 of 46,554
Quote:
If the SR-71B isn't the most powerful, its at least one of the most powerful....

Other contenders?  Intruder?  Pico Power?  Rx Mk3?

I never tried 71B..but i own Intruder, Pico Power, and i owned RxMK3 before (also the International)
The Intruder is a power monster ! If i wanna rate them in term of power wise, that would be Intruder > International > MK3 > Pico = Glacier.
The Intruder/Pico Power/Glacier, eventhough they are powerful, but they also able to handle IEMs in a smooth and gentle ways. That means they have a blacker background compared to ALO series. Between the International VS MK3...the international is quiter compared to MK3 when used to drive IEMs. But none of that problem when driving fullsize cans.

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #13,088 of 46,554
Quote:
Bout a week ago, old friend of mine dropped by. He had heard my previous cans the Senn HD555 & HD595. But I wanted to let him try my more current gear. Initially, he was more impressed by the 702 Annies with their clarity and crisp details. Cool part was, I got him to listen to the HD650 a bit more with Beethoven's 6th (1st movement) and you could just see him lean back in the chair, close his eyes... and float right off.  After another 20-30 minutes with other tracks he declared the HD650s king... no contest.

biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #13,089 of 46,554
For you EDM lovers out there, check out Netsky.  I got lost in that last night.  It was a whole new level of bliss.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #13,090 of 46,554
Does anyone know anything about Sennheiser warranty or had experience? My 650's are out of warranty as i think i have mentioned before.

Sennheiser seem to offer an out of warranty repair for £50 - £60 last time i checked as a flat fee. Would that include any possible parts that need replacing or would that be extra?

All i want to is replace the missing plastic clip in the head band that stops the cups from coming off the head band if fully extended (OCD'ish i know). Also i want the drivers checked as a while ago i was having a very mild distortion with some lower frequencies which seemed to be corrected with a little extra burn in using pink noise (not heard the problem for 4 months now).

I know i have asked before but if anyone out their has unfortunately broken a head band or know someone who has i would be interested in just the little clip part.

I have asked before about possible spare part suppliers and people have been very helpful but no one seems to sell that wee bit.

On a side note which headphone do people believe is more accurate and the better for mixing HD 650 or K702?

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #13,091 of 46,554
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about Sennheiser warranty or had experience? My 650's are out of warranty as i think i have mentioned before.

Sennheiser seem to offer an out of warranty repair for £50 - £60 last time i checked as a flat fee. Would that include any possible parts that need replacing or would that be extra?

All i want to is replace the missing plastic clip in the head band that stops the cups from coming off the head band if fully extended (OCD'ish i know). Also i want the drivers checked as a while ago i was having a very mild distortion with some lower frequencies which seemed to be corrected with a little extra burn in using pink noise (not heard the problem for 4 months now).

I know i have asked before but if anyone out their has unfortunately broken a head band or know someone who has i would be interested in just the little clip part.

I have asked before about possible spare part suppliers and people have been very helpful but no one seems to sell that wee bit.

On a side note which headphone do people believe is more accurate and the better for mixing HD 650 or K702?

I have the 702 Annies (have not heard original 702s... but i'm told they are essentially same with slightly more bass) and I would certainly prefer the K702. More intimate detailed sound... much more revealing. The HD650s are more for just pure unadulterated enjoyment
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #13,092 of 46,554
I'm still doing comparisons as i currently own both, just trying to figure out if it's worth keeping both or selling the K702's and getting the HD 600's or K712's.

To me the bass seems to get a pushed to the background with the K702's but it sounds more refined just subdued. The HD 650's are just such a pleasure to listen to and make everything exciting where as the K702's are analytical and edgy.

I love the 650's sound but fear they may trick me from time to time and i like the K702's for the detail but a part of me feels if i mix with them i may push the bass to high.

I have read the K702's annies or K712 would sound more like i think the K702's should sound, but the price is fairly high in comparison and it seems a bit of a con that AKG didn't do a re-design for their next flagship, Sennheiser went for something completely new with their latest flagship after repeating similar designs 3 times in a row but AKG are still doing it and i think it would give people more of a sense of value if the new expensive flagship didn't looks almost identical to the old one and the K701 and the Q701, bar of course the change to the headband (which is a good thing).

Don't get me wrong they are pretty headphones even tho they are huge and make me look a little like a cyberman and looks aren't overly important to me  (i use 8400's on the street and they stick out a tad) i just wish they revolutionised the design a little bit. Just wish i could find a store near me that demo'd them.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #13,093 of 46,554
Quote:

It was probably just a hair causing the distortion.

Have you sent these questions to Sennheiser? I'd imagine they could answer them.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #13,094 of 46,554
I did e-mail them and they told me they don't sell the part i want separately. They just stated i would have to pay for an out of warranty repair to get the piece replaced, didn't mention if i would be billed for parts on top.

If they replaced the ear pads and head band pad as well as the plastic clip and it was included in the out of warranty standard fee it could possibly be worth it.

I checked for a hair and used a can of condensed air from a distance, it was probably more likely that which fixed it.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #13,095 of 46,554
Quote:
I did e-mail them and they told me they don't sell the part i want separately. They just stated i would have to pay for an out of warranty repair to get the piece replaced, didn't mention if i would be billed for parts on top.

If they replaced the ear pads and head band pad as well as the plastic clip and it was included in the out of warranty standard fee it could possibly be worth it.

I checked for a hair and used a can of condensed air from a distance, it was probably more likely that which fixed it.

So just reply to them with your subsequent questions. They'll be able to tell you if the out of warranty repair includes the cost of the part you need replaced.

Alternatively I suppose there might be a small chance you could find someone selling a very old and used or even broken HD650, for cheap, that you could get the part you need off of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back