Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #13,066 of 46,554
Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

My brother recommended me to The Queen Is Dead, and have been enjoying it for the last 30 minutes. The album sounds a little harsh on the Paradox so the HD650 won out
size]

Try Meat is Murder. How Soon is Now will blow your mind!!!!

Will do!
size]

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #13,067 of 46,554
Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

My brother recommended me to The Queen Is Dead, and have been enjoying it for the last 30 minutes. The album sounds a little harsh on the Paradox so the HD650 won out
size]

Try Meat is Murder. How Soon is Now will blow your mind!!!!

Ah, I know this song from my parents. Love this song. Now I know the name!

Anyways, I feel it sounds better on the Paradox, but the HD650 is still more relaxing
size]

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #13,068 of 46,554
Quote:

Why are you asking this again? We already answered your question, twice, on the previous page.

The build of the HD650 and HD600 are identical, therefore comfort is exactly the same on both. Whoever told you otherwise is wrong.

Quote:

Just curious. Have you owned the HD650 or compared them side by side? I have both and I would not say that the build is identical; I could easily imagine someone preferring one over the other. If nothing else, the top headpad is clearly different (maybe that has already been mentioned...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After around 10 minutes with either one, besides sound, comfort is the same.  Both have a somewhat constricting clamp at first (not to the levels of something like the HD280 or HD380), but it loosens up after some headtime with either pair.

Quote:
^^^But the HD600 is butt ugly compared to the HD650
biggrin.gif

I actually like the paint job on the HD600 more. You know, its much darker in person. It looks more black than blue.

But to each his own! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I would prefer the 650 with the 600 paint job, looks more fun.

I have to agree with these guys :).  I love the finish of the HD 600.  Looking at them now while the HD 650 reside on my head :p.

Not sure how many of you listen to metal or hardcore...especially with these cans, but the new August Burns Red album sounds really amazing on them :).  They surprisingly got rid of that rather unique 'boosted' treble they used in their other albums.  Percussion sounds even better, though...crisp.

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #13,069 of 46,554
Quote:
Ooo. Hello, The Smiths on the HD650. I love you.

I suppose we could go on infinitely about what music plays well over HD-650, but now that you mention it, I agree that The Smiths sound especially good on them. And I'm not particularly a fan of theirs. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #13,071 of 46,554
I really want to try the Hd 600's for metal. I love Rescue and Restore by August Burns Red but wasn't all that happy with my 650's on that (for this first time) gonna have another listen now but i remember enjoying the new album more on my 8400's, their seemed to be energy missing from the music. Either the music is just mixed badly or to me the album sounds better when it's more in your face. Could of simply been the mood i was in.

Really Really enjoy listening to the S&M album by Metallica on 650's tho. Also listened to that album last night with K702's and the mids some to get a little confused and the massive soundstage doesn't compliment the guitars well. Tho the K702's work really well for Apocalyptica =)

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #13,072 of 46,554
After re-listening the album sounds fantastic on the 650's. My ears must of had an off day.

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #13,074 of 46,554
After having had my Essence STX / HD201 setup for a few months, I finally had delivered the HD650 I really wanted - absolutely amazing! Surely one of the audio bargains out there!

Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits on 96khz flac - absolutely mindblowing.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #13,075 of 46,554
Quote:
After having had my Essence STX / HD201 setup for a few months, I finally had delivered the HD650 I really wanted - absolutely amazing! Surely one of the audio bargains out there!

Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits on 96khz flac - absolutely mindblowing.

HD650 is a great headphone but it surely is not a bargain 
smile.gif
 The asking price is rather high. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #13,076 of 46,554
Quote:
HD650 is a great headphone but it surely is not a bargain 
smile.gif
 The asking price is rather high. 

Indeed it is not a bargain. The HD600 is. But the 650s are very close behind. Whilst $400 headphones might seem steep, the price to performance ratio is easily one of the best in terms of audiophile quality headphones. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #13,077 of 46,554
Quote:
I really want to try the Hd 600's for metal. I love Rescue and Restore by August Burns Red but wasn't all that happy with my 650's on that (for this first time) gonna have another listen now but i remember enjoying the new album more on my 8400's, their seemed to be energy missing from the music. Either the music is just mixed badly or to me the album sounds better when it's more in your face. Could of simply been the mood i was in.

Really Really enjoy listening to the S&M album by Metallica on 650's tho. Also listened to that album last night with K702's and the mids some to get a little confused and the massive soundstage doesn't compliment the guitars well. Tho the K702's work really well for Apocalyptica =)

Quote:
After re-listening the album sounds fantastic on the 650's. My ears must of had an off day.

Quote:
Absolutely agree, listening to it right now

Yeah, I think it's actually their best produced album yet.  The most neutral, that's for sure.  Album has a good overall sound and feeling to it.  Like the album is good as a whole, and you're not just listening to it for a couple tracks.

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #13,078 of 46,554
I'm delighted with some new equipment that have opened up my HD650s tremendously: 

— Ray Samuels RSA SR-71B (6/2013), which is claimed as the most powerful portable amp. I use balanced and unbalanced outputs, and find them both delightful. I'm literally left with nothing specific to criticize, no particular frequency range that is weak, no type of music that doesn't work beautifully.   I'll say more in a dedicated thread. 

— Perhaps more on topic, I now have two Cardas cables that are as transparent (and good value) as anything I've tried.  One is a Cardas Clear Light with 1/8" unbalanced cable, 1 meter. It branches into two at my chest and those cables are small, just like those on the Cardas Ear Speakers (see the animation on Youtube or Cardas.com).  Very easy to pack and take on the street or into waiting rooms.  Also, more rugged than it looks, with a strong covering.  

— The other cables is a balanced Cardas Clear (twice copper, but not the cost, of the "Light" version), 1.5 meter.  It looks beautiful and handles very well. This version is a moderate improvement, but not earth-shaking... unless you have a balanced amp as I now do.  I sent some of the camera-style connectors that RSA uses along with wiring diagrams to Cardas, and they are now looking at offering these on a regular basis.  I hope they talk to Ray about this... a great combination.  

I find with this setup, the space is more delineated, tonality is more realistic, detail is enhanced.  Instead of bass, I hear drums and guitars.  Instead of midrange, I hear real people singing (Amber Rubarth on Chesky), horns playing nearby in my room (Bill Berry's For Duke) or in a hall (several, including Harry James on Sheffield).  Treble extension isn't something I think about... instead I hear the various orchestral and jazz percussion instruments (Exotic Dances from the Opera, Chesky).  I hear finger cymballs with not only their peculiar harmonics, but the clap as air is captured between them and the slip and release of that air. I hear high-hat taps that sound different with each tap, and which make clear when the drummer lifts slightly off the pedal (Dire Straits, You and Your Friend).  The cables, the amp, the D/A (Meridian... surprisingly clean and musical after break-in) all sound their best.  And the HD650 are beyond what I'd heard before, except much more expensive, non-portable systems. I don't plan to buy any desktop equipment... this is now my primary system.  (Music fed from iTunes library through Pure Music with oversampling enabled, on a 2007 MacBook Pro; files played are 320kbps MP3, 16/44, and up to 24/192 native through the Meridian.  I stopped using any EQ at all in Pure Music... not needed). 

With these, I do not miss the euphony of my beloved tube amps, and certainly am glad I got rid of my early WA6 by Woo Audio... a beautiful sound, but very little transparency into the recording, hence ultimately boring.  

More later in separate threads, with pics.  I'll link to them here when done.  

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #13,079 of 46,554
Quote:
I'm delighted with some new equipment that have opened up my HD650s tremendously: 

— Ray Samuels RSA SR-71B (6/2013), which is claimed as the most powerful portable amp.

Interesting. Does anyone know what the power output specs on this thing are?

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #13,080 of 46,554
Quote:

Interesting. Does anyone know what the power output specs on this thing are?

For a reason, only the SR-71 (not "B") specs are listed on the site. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back