Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #12,931 of 46,554
Quote:
alittle off topic, but wats the reason for pairing it with the CSP2+...is that another amp? 
the taboo wont stand alone?  ( saving my money for one of these...dunno which one..hmmm)

I already had the CSP2+. I went to Decware to see their operation and talked to Steve Deckert about the combo for speakers. I now own the Decware DM945 speakers. Here is the post about my visit.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware

Pairing them gives more authority with HP's. However, the Taboo and the CSP2+ are both are fantastic with the HD800's and HD650's by themselves. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #12,932 of 46,554
Quote:
And Steve is an AMAZING guy.

He really is! I have had my balanced silk Q-Cable for my HD650 around a month now and I could not be happier. My upgrade before this aftermarket Cable was the new headphone amp from Sennheiser (HDVD800) so I am in audio heaven right now. The new Cable was a significantly step up in quality - how much that was thanks to the balanced termination vs. the cable in itself is hard tp to tell though... Still, the Q-Cable seems to be Everything that the Cardas is not regarding comfort, meaning soft and flexible.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #12,933 of 46,554
Quote:
He really is! I have had my balanced silk Q-Cable for my HD650 around a month now and I could not be happier. My upgrade before this aftermarket Cable was the new headphone amp from Sennheiser (HDVD800) so I am in audio heaven right now. The new Cable was a significantly step up in quality - how much that was thanks to the balanced termination vs. the cable in itself is hard tp to tell though... Still, the Q-Cable seems to be Everything that the Cardas is not regarding comfort, meaning soft and flexible.

Do you mean a step up in audio quality or durability etc?

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #12,934 of 46,554
Quote:
I already had the CSP2+. I went to Decware to see their operation and talked to Steve Deckert about the combo for speakers. I now own the Decware DM945 speakers. Here is the post about my visit.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware

Pairing them gives more authority with HP's. However, the Taboo and the CSP2+ are both are fantastic with the HD800's and HD650's by themselves. 

u brought the readers with u in the visit...what a great read, 

If u must choose one amp to go with the hd650 from decware...which would that be?

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #12,935 of 46,554
For the HD650's I would use the CSP2+. Great synergy and the price is more in line with the HD650's

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #12,936 of 46,554

I finally get to join you guys on this day, 850 pages long and I'm just getting on board now. I know the Fiio E17 isn't the best to drive these, but between saving for med school it's the best I could do, I got the Fiio E17 for 80$ from a friend, and the headphones with custom made cable for 270$ from here actually. The base wire is Doublehelixcables Nucleotide which is a UPOCC copper wire. Custom plugs and all, just waiting for a better 1/4 to 1/8th adapter to come in the mail.Great for a mid-tier audiophile. Of course there is better amps, I'm looking at the ODAC/O2 for my next amp, I hear great things of it, and chances are that's all I'll need for a couple of years, although I know I'll say that and dig my teeth into the next best thing when it comes out. I'm sure most of you guys have any who :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #12,937 of 46,554
Quote:

I finally get to join you guys on this day, 850 pages long and I'm just getting on board now. I know the Fiio E17 isn't the best to drive these, but between saving for med school it's the best I could do, I got the Fiio E17 for 80$ from a friend, and the headphones with custom made cable for 270$ from here actually. The base wire is Doublehelixcables Nucleotide which is a UPOCC copper wire. Custom plugs and all, just waiting for a better 1/4 to 1/8th adapter to come in the mail.Great for a mid-tier audiophile. Of course there is better amps, I'm looking at the ODAC/O2 for my next amp, I hear great things of it, and chances are that's all I'll need for a couple of years, although I know I'll say that and dig my teeth into the next best thing when it comes out. I'm sure most of you guys have any who
wink.gif

Trade the cable for a great amp! 

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #12,938 of 46,554
Or just grab the E09K to dock the E17 as a DAC. It'll give a bit more of that extra juice to move the HD650s for only a small investment. You could easily get one new for $100ish.. or less if used.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #12,939 of 46,554
Quote:

Likely the cable does help a bit, but the bigger change you're hearing is likely because of going balanced (my own listening experience has indicated as such).

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #12,940 of 46,554
Quote:
Or just grab the E09K to dock the E17 as a DAC. It'll give a bit more of that extra juice to move the HD650s for only a small investment. You could easily get one new for $100ish.. or less if used.

Yeah, the E09K is not my favorite with the HD650. I like it quite a bit with the HD600. What is incredible and still fairly cheap with the HD650 is the Yulong A800. It's a little more than either the E09K or O2, but there is a seller on ebay now for $139. Totally worth it. Awesome bass slam. 

I always hear the O2 recommended with the HD650 but one has to be aware of the source. W/ an ipod line out, fine. But the ODAC + O2 combo on high gain was doing some funky things to the HD650 bass. Major distortion. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #12,941 of 46,554
Quote:
Here are the 650's with Toxic Cables Silver Widow's....They made a very positive and noticeable difference. YMMV....

That just nice, all I can say!

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #12,942 of 46,554
Quote:
Quote:
And Steve is an AMAZING guy.

He's also been helping me tremendously in soldering. Sending me dozens of tools, with no payment from me. I will one day anonymously purchase one of his silk cables, than he'll see my address and clue in
size]

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #12,944 of 46,554
Quote:
I feel kind of dumb asking this but I don't see on the Q-Audio website where there are any HD650 cables available, or am I just missing it?

Its not there(I don't think) But if your considering buying one of Steve's cables, just contact him. I know he has them, but i guess its just not on his website? He's making a new one, so thats good.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #12,945 of 46,554
Quote:
I always hear the O2 recommended with the HD650 but one has to be aware of the source. W/ an ipod line out, fine. But the ODAC + O2 combo on high gain was doing some funky things to the HD650 bass. Major distortion. 

Quite obvious ODAC + O2 combo on high gain will overload the front end on peaks as ODAC has redbook output of 2Vrms at 0db so a gain of 2.5 will give peak of 7 volts which is pushing it on battery power but OK if you're using a power pack, unlike some people believe it doesn't matter how far you have to turn up the volume control to get the level you want as it's just an attenuator reducing the input level to the unity gain output buffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back