Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #1,246 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good for you...I've never owned a pair of headphones twice...yet!

This will be the first time I've owned one twice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It shall be interesting to see what you think of them this time around
tongue.gif

I should be OK.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can remember their sound, but I'll have to see if I missed the sound as much as I think I do. To think that I really grew to love Iron Maiden using them!

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #1,247 of 46,554
I now have two HD650s, one with 2007 drivers and black silk, and one brand new with metal screen.
The cables seem identical.

While the differences are clearly audible, it isn't a cut-and-dried decision.

The older one is fuller in the bass and lower midrange
There is no upper midrange glare. It is tolerant of bright recordings and electronics.
Treble does not force itself on you and is relaxed.
Mid-treble is present when it needs to be, and arises out of a black background.
The experience is close, enveloping, luxurious, warm.
The pads are more confortably soft and sit closer to my ears.

The newer one has a relatively lean mid/upper bass and no bloat.
Midrange is cooler, less rich and more hi-fi.
Voices don't have as much illusion of reality or coherence (like live singing).
Upper midrange reproduces a bit more of the "condenser cackle" that affects/afflicts most vocals.
Reverberation is more apparent.
Added detail in the upper midrange to lower treble makes them a bit more analytical.
They are probably the more accurate, but sometimes less emotionally engaging.
Pads are harder and space the drivers farther from your ears which contributes to the thinner bass. I bet they soften quickly.
My Cardas cable makes less of a difference on the new phones.

I considered keeping them both for different recordings, but I promised myself to sell one....
So, I'll sell the older pair.

Longer listening has me noticing how many factors influence an opinion, aside from the obvious different expectations that listeners bring. Loudness level makes a big difference in whether you think a phone is bright or warm or neutral, musical vs analytical. I also tried tubes (Woo WA6) vs solid state (Perreaux or straight from the SCD-XA5400ES). These tubes mate well with the new phones, while the SS tilts a bit toward the older phones. The WA6 is not dark or overly warm, but just a hint forgiving and less etched than the SS, perhaps with less HF hash or transient distortion in the case of the high-feedback opamps in the 5400 output.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #1,250 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw the HD650's on Amazon for $370. Didn't feel like passing it up, so it seems that myself and the HD650's have unfinished business. I'll be getting an SXC Cryo cable for them. I've really missed their sound. It took me a month or so to realize that I had made a mistake selling them.

Hooray!

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #1,252 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanwave1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone wants to trade their hd650 for my pair of hd600 perhaps plus a little cash?

What condition is your 600 in?? My 650 is horrible!
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #1,253 of 46,554
I just got my 650's today after taking the plunge with Amazon...

What can I say, straight out of the box they have blown me away - exactly what I was looking for.

I have a set of HD555's that I purchased a few years back, I recall looking at the HD600's back then and wishing I could stretch my already stretched budget - alas I had to wait.

I am not going to "burn in" the 650's, rather listen to them evolving I think
smily_headphones1.gif

I have quickly realised these things appreciate decent bit rates though, and am planning to go lossless for my collection or at least part of it that I like the most.

It was interesting comparing the 650's (Brand new) to the 555's (4+ yrs old) as the phones I had always thought sounded laid back and powerful suddenly sounded light in the bass and forward in the midrange (555's), the 650's really are spot on and partnering lovely with a Neco Soundlab mosfet amplifier too!

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #1,254 of 46,554
I just got my Sennheiser HD 650. They sound great!
gs1000.gif

This is my first decent set of headphones since I got my Realistic LV-10 circa 1975. Um... er... were they decent?
confused_face_2.gif

For now, I'm just running them off the headphone jack of my Yamaha RX-797 receiver. I also just got a Yamaha DVD-S2700 SACD/DVD-Audio player.

SACD and DVD-Audio coming in loud and clear through the HD-650.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #1,256 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my 650's today after taking the plunge with Amazon...

What can I say, straight out of the box they have blown me away - exactly what I was looking for.

I have a set of HD555's that I purchased a few years back, I recall looking at the HD600's back then and wishing I could stretch my already stretched budget - alas I had to wait.

I am not going to "burn in" the 650's, rather listen to them evolving I think
smily_headphones1.gif

I have quickly realised these things appreciate decent bit rates though, and am planning to go lossless for my collection or at least part of it that I like the most.

It was interesting comparing the 650's (Brand new) to the 555's (4+ yrs old) as the phones I had always thought sounded laid back and powerful suddenly sounded light in the bass and forward in the midrange (555's), the 650's really are spot on and partnering lovely with a Neco Soundlab mosfet amplifier too!

Congrats, they are great phones. Don't worry about burn in. Just enjoy them.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #1,257 of 46,554
Just got my second HD650.

Aahhh... what a great decision to get one of these things back. Great out of the box. The HD650's are the most relaxing I've heard. This one is a true budding classic in sound.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #1,258 of 46,554
Hey Aimlink, just wondering, what's the difference between Headroom's Ultra Destktop and the regular Desktop amp? I noticed you have the Ultra (I have a regular one) and just haven't figured out why the Ultra is so expensive.

Mine sounds great though! Really digging the 650s on them.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #1,259 of 46,554
They both use the same chassis with similar external connections and features. However, the difference lies in the electronics. For the Amp electronics, the Desktop Amp uses the Home module while the Ultra Desktop Amp uses the Max module. You can read the details here. For the DAC electronics, the Desktop Amp uses the Home DAC module while the Ultra Desktop uses the Max DAC. You can read more about that here.

I had a Micro Amp so I know that the home electronics sound great. The general sonic character is the same but with the Max electronics there's improved detail and dynamics. The HeadRoom amps pair very well with the HD650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back