Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #4,996 of 46,535
Yep, but I don't think they sound fantastic either (as an example, I feel there's almost no soundstage to speak of). I think it's great at amping them as a temporary or secondary solution. I also would be rather cautious about volume as there isn't any spec about RMS voltage and power into 300 and 600 ohms (the HD650 goes nearly up to 600 ohms around 100hz if I remember correctly).

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #4,997 of 46,535

Quote:
Yep, but I don't think they sound fantastic either (as an example, I feel there's almost no soundstage to speak of). I think it's great at amping them as a temporary or secondary solution. I also would be rather cautious about volume as there isn't any spec about RMS voltage and power into 300 and 600 ohms (the HD650 goes nearly up to 600 ohms around 100hz if I remember correctly).

Oh, trust me, I barely listen out of my Slim (that's for my IEM's). While it sounds good, it's nothing compared to big desktop OTL amps. And with regards to the soundstage, you need a really awesome sounding tube amp to make the soundstage shine.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #4,998 of 46,535

Quote:
Oh, trust me, I barely listen out of my Slim (that's for my IEM's). While it sounds good, it's nothing compared to big desktop OTL amps. And with regards to the soundstage, you need a really awesome sounding tube amp to make the soundstage shine.

That's always something that puzzles me - do we have any explanation why it's often said that a tube amp is better at soundstage ? What's the rational behind it ?
Anyway, I probably was as surprised as you when I heard the HD650 out of my TTVJ Slim and found out it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And it's got such a perfect sound signature !

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #4,999 of 46,535

Quote:
That's always something that puzzles me - do we have any explanation why it's often said that a tube amp is better at soundstage ? What's the rational behind it ?
Anyway, I probably was as surprised as you when I heard the HD650 out of my TTVJ Slim and found out it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And it's got such a perfect sound signature !

Well, I don't really believe in that theory, since I have heard a good amount of solid states that have absolutely exceptional soundstage. For my experience though, tube amps always seem to pair very well with the HD650, that's why I love the Manley Stringray and the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire. It made the HD650 sound oh so good.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #5,000 of 46,535

Quote:
Well, I don't really believe in that theory, since I have heard a good amount of solid states that have absolutely exceptional soundstage. For my experience though, tube amps always seem to pair very well with the HD650, that's why I love the Manley Stringray and the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire. It made the HD650 sound oh so good.

Many people like the 2nd order harmonics that tubes color the sound with.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #5,001 of 46,535

Quote:

I think its more of a unfounded generalization, as some SS amps that I've tried have better soundstage than tube amps. Though I do think with higher impedance phones its harder for most SS to feed the extra voltage to give that.. whatever it is that adds soundstage.  Juice.  "soundstage juice"  yes thats what you need, you need a good ready supply of Juice for soundstage! right I'll stop now.     

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #5,002 of 46,535

Quote:
I think its more of a unfounded generalization, as some SS amps that I've tried have better soundstage than tube amps. Though I do think with higher impedance phones its harder for most SS to feed the extra voltage to give that.. whatever it is that adds soundstage.  Juice.  "soundstage juice"  yes thats what you need, you need a good ready supply of Juice for soundstage! right I'll stop now.     

That's what I thought. I quite understand why somebody would prefer some tube coloration, but I tend to prefer amps from any technology to try to get as neutral as it can be made possible, and I think it's possible with either technology. Some SS amps do deliver all the necessary voltage into higher impedances (Violectric amps come to mind), with the added benefit of a lower output impedance most of the time.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #5,003 of 46,535

Quote:
Many people like the 2nd order harmonics that tubes color the sound with.

rolleyes.gif

You certainly have a penchant for overly broad generalizations and hyperbole.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #5,004 of 46,535
Hmmmm. Well I'm continuing to mess with EQ and boosting 16+khz seems to make these sound a lot better for a lot of things to me. I don't know, it seems my preferences for headphone changes over time / song, which is why I guess a lot of people have multiple pairs. But I'm finding the HD650s once again my favorite / more natural sounding for just listening to the music (I guess I always new that). It's less analytical but the most natural sounding.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #5,005 of 46,535

Quote:
Hmmmm. Well I'm continuing to mess with EQ and boosting 16+khz seems to make these sound a lot better for a lot of things to me. I don't know, it seems my preferences for headphone changes over time / song, which is why I guess a lot of people have multiple pairs. But I'm finding the HD650s once again my favorite / more natural sounding for just listening to the music (I guess I always new that). It's less analytical but the most natural sounding.

I find that EQing the HD650 brings down the sound quality ever so slightly. With that being said, still my favorite can, even over the HD800, AKG K1000, and the LCD-2.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #5,006 of 46,535
A long time ago, probably before many of you joined here, I knocked the HD650s after I came back from a meet for not scaling well with TOTL gear, and I promptly sold them afterwards.  Well the last meet I attended, I loved the HD650s for the same reason, because they are so consistent.  

Take the LCD-2s for example, if your source is sub-par or your amplifier sub-par or your music a sub-par recording -- then you'll be left listening to mediocrity that sounds very similar, too similar, to HD650s.  Why do I use the word mediocre?  Because when you pay a grand for a headphone and put your favorite album on, which may or may not be a great recording, and it doesn't sound much better than your HD650s, well that's mediocre.  The story is different with excellent recordings and excellent sources and amplifiers of course.  For the real world, the HD650s are remarkable.

So I appreciate you HD650, and I'm sorry Shahrose, wherever you are, for arguing with you a long time ago.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #5,007 of 46,535
My HD650s showed up last night and so far I'm impressed.  I noticed a distinct reduction bass compared to my D2000s but my god, everything sounds so much smoother and listenable.  Right out of the box, I'm listening to music again instead of listening to headphones.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #5,008 of 46,535

Quote:
My HD650s showed up last night and so far I'm impressed.  I noticed a distinct reduction bass compared to my D2000s but my god, everything sounds so much smoother and listenable.  Right out of the box, I'm listening to music again instead of listening to headphones.

Welcome to the 650 thread. Yeah, the bass on the d2000's is very prominent, but also false and coloured. Great for some music but I think once you get used to the more realistic bass of the 650's you won't look back.

A lot of people don't believe in "burn in" but in my experience with all headphones is that they sound better after a good run in, so you should find they will sound even better over time.

You've also hit the nail on the head the 650's character " I'm listening to music again instead of listening to headphones." Its all about the music with these hp's, no dissecting or listening for the plectrum instead of the strings!

Enjoy

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #5,009 of 46,535

Quote:
[...]

You've also hit the nail on the head the 650's character " I'm listening to music again instead of listening to headphones." Its all about the music with these hp's, no dissecting or listening for the plectrum instead of the strings!

Enjoy

Indeed, until a new component in your chain lessens the synergy you once enjoyed.
mad.gif

Quote:
[...]

So I appreciate you HD650, and I'm sorry Shahrose, wherever you are, for arguing with you a long time ago.

Lol. Is this a homecoming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back