Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #35,596 of 46,514
Lots of people here don't like to fiddle with EQ for 'purist' reasons. Ridiculous but there you go.

Some of us don't use a computer to listen to music or at least not 100% of the time. Which means finding more permanent tuning options (like modding for example) is necessary.

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #35,597 of 46,514
Heck, I may even look at the filter for my HE560.
rolleyes.gif

I'll be interested in what the HE-560 sounds like if you ever get the filter.

It's probably been suggested before, but I recommend you try the Sonarworks Reference 3 plugin. It really improves the low bass on the HD650. Best part of the plugin is you can customize what type of frequency response curve you want.

Sonarworks or any form of EQ is a problem for me since I have 2 DACs and 4 amps driving 4 different headphones running being fed by one or 2 digital signals at same time.

Some of us don't use a computer to listen to music or at least not 100% of the time. Which means finding more permanent tuning options (like modding for example) is necessary.

Agree with this but modding for me is usually limited to those that can be reversed, just incase I decide to sell the headphone in the future but there are also headphones that I build that the mods can't be undone, but then I'll probably never sell those.

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #35,598 of 46,514
I'll be interested in what the HE-560 sounds like if you ever get the filter.

Sonarworks or any form of EQ is a problem for me since I have 2 DACs and 4 amps driving 4 different headphones running being fed by one or 2 digital signals at same time.

Agree with this but modding for me is usually limited to those that can be reversed, just incase I decide to sell the headphone in the future but there are also headphones that I build that the mods can't be undone, but then I'll probably never sell those.

I don't ever do a modification unless it is either reversible, still easily sold with permanent mods or I don't ever plan on selling.

I had a SennGrado at one time, but that's already a custom headphone to begin with.

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #35,600 of 46,514
Just performed the coin mod on my 650s. Slight increase in clarity and treble, which has just made it an absolute winner for me. Always loved the 650s but hankered after some more clarity from time to time. This has done just that! I won't bother with any other mods, as I worry it'll take me too far from the 650s magical sound.

Really happy. To anyone who may want a bit more clarity, this really helped me. Running from a Chord Mojo. Next upgrade is the Joty.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #35,602 of 46,514
Try Audio Sensibility. In Toronto. They make all kinds of cables, OCC pure, and their silver cables are well-priced. They machine their own connector shells along with offering quality connectors (Furutech, Oyaide).

Turns out I have a cable from them on my HE500 but those darn protruding coaxial connectors are a serious pain. I actually ended up damaging one of the leads to one connector. I spoke with Steve and he is going to covert this cable to a balanced for my HD650. Dropping it off tomorrow and picking it up at TAVES at the end of the month.

I guess I better get myself an amp with balanced headphone outputs soon. Just waiting until The Headphone Bar gets their order of Jotunheim in from Schiit.

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #35,603 of 46,514
Turns out I have a cable from them on my HE500 but those darn protruding coaxial connectors are a serious pain. I actually ended up damaging one of the leads to one connector. I spoke with Steve and he is going to covert this cable to a balanced for my HD650. Dropping it off tomorrow and picking it up at TAVES at the end of the month.

I guess I better get myself an amp with balanced headphone outputs soon. Just waiting until The Headphone Bar gets their order of Jotunheim in from Schiit.

Haven't tried Steve's HP cables, as I'm not convinced I will hear a significant change.

Let us know what you think of Jot/650 pairing in balanced mode. I'm not crazy about the Jot's use of feedback, and the circuit layout in general. The one with DAC should have used separate isolated PS for the analog and digital sections -- but at that price, I am not surprised they made compromises. As an entry-level bal HP amp, it's a good deal, I think.

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #35,604 of 46,514
Haven't tried Steve's HP cables, as I'm not convinced I will hear a significant change.

Let us know what you think of Jot/650 pairing in balanced mode. I'm not crazy about the Jot's use of feedback, and the circuit layout in general. The one with DAC should have used separate isolated PS for the analog and digital sections -- but at that price, I am not surprised they made compromises. As an entry-level bal HP amp, it's a good deal, I think.

If I get the Jot it will be a stripped down amp only version. I have a Bifrost 4490, Bifrost MB and a Modi MB. I'd probably mate the Bifrost MB, SE into the Jot.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #35,606 of 46,514

I'm not too excited about the DAC module myself. Those that have been pairing it with better dacs like Bimby or above are saying the Jot hits well above its price, near Ragnarok territory.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Schiit update their entire lineup with the new topology in the Jot.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #35,607 of 46,514
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Schiit update their entire lineup with the new topology in the Jot.

That would be a mistake, imo. First, there's nothing "new" about that topology. Second, having current feedback in an amp that is potentially used as a linestage SS amp is not optimal design, to put it politely. Zero feedback is best. But it's entry-level, so....

I hope they didn't do it with their flagship amp.

cheers

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #35,608 of 46,514
Hi, guys.  By next week (or the week after) I would receive my own pair of HD650.  I have read so many about HD580/600/650 after having this hobby around 2 years ago.  Last week I found there was an online sale and I jumped at the chance buying one HD650 immediately, without thinking about the set up.  Still I am super-excited now, wanting to hear what the legend may sound.

I don't have a desktop amp to drive the HD650, and my budget is tight (after spending on this pair).  I need a budget set up and may need to buy one item first and, after saving enough, then another.  I am thinking of three different buying options.  

1st: Laptop > [Existing] Nuforce uDAC 3 > [To Buy] Little Dot MK2 Tube Amp > HD650

or

2nd: Laptop > [To Buy] Aune X1S > HD650 -  then buy another desktop power amp after saving up enough money.

or

3rd: Laptop > [To Buy] Schiit Magni / Modi combo (not uber) > HD650

Any suggestions from you guys?

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #35,609 of 46,514
  Hi, guys.  By next week (or the week after) I would receive my own pair of HD650.  I have read so many about HD580/600/650 after having this hobby around 2 years ago.  Last week I found there was an online sale and I jumped at the chance buying one HD650 immediately, without thinking about the set up.  Still I am super-excited now, wanting to hear what the legend may sound.

I don't have a desktop amp to drive the HD650, and my budget is tight (after spending on this pair).  I need a budget set up and may need to buy one item first and, after saving enough, then another.  I am thinking of three different buying options.  

1st: Laptop > [Existing] Nuforce uDAC 3 > [To Buy] Little Dot MK2 Tube Amp > HD650

or

2nd: Laptop > [To Buy] Aune X1S > HD650 -  then buy another desktop power amp after saving up enough money.

or

3rd: Laptop > [To Buy] Schiit Magni / Modi combo (not uber) > HD650

Any suggestions from you guys?

IMO, you should go with the Modi and the Vali 2.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #35,610 of 46,514
That would be a mistake, imo. First, there's nothing "new" about that topology. Second, having current feedback in an amp that is potentially used as a linestage SS amp is not optimal design, to put it politely. Zero feedback is best. But it's entry-level, so....

I hope they didn't do it with their flagship amp.

cheers

Not even gonna bother. We won't agree anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back