Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #211 of 46,514
just got the 650s in a trade ....must say they sound much different compared to the 701s.

Any notice their headband is tight as all hell? Maybe i have a huge head.

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #212 of 46,514
It's tight as hell. It will stretch out after a while, but it still gives you a nice teddy-bear hug every time you put on your pair. I kinda like it, actually, but there are other headphones out there that are more comfortable.

I've been slowly gravitating towards copper cables rather than silver in my rig. Silver eliminates the coloration entirely and alters the FR - but I'm not sure if it's better that way. Instead of a warm, bass-heavy FR with a euphonic midrange you get a rather flat FR but with noticeable roll-offs on both ends and a very neutral, clinical midrange. Yes it doesn't give me grief with excessive bass, but something is missing. The detail is absolutely fantastic though, as is the imaging.

It could just be the source. The Rega is known for being rolled-off on both ends. Let's see what the 840C will do.

On that note, once you get your HD650 in a balanced rig, you will never, ever go back to them single-ended.

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #213 of 46,514
Just picked up a used pair to see if Senns were for me. Wowie wow wow. It appears they are.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #214 of 46,514
ya, my huge teddy bear is under their death grip right now...i have to stretch them out a bit..

Also need alittle break in it seems....maybe its just coming from a 701, but the bass seems alittle flabby.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #215 of 46,514
Here is the suggestion I followed:
- pull the earcups and metal bars to full extension
- holding one earcup in one hand and the end of the plastic headband in the other,
- "straighten" the METAL BAR with your thumbs
- flex a little, push with thumbs, release, repeat
- do same to other side

DO NOT bend the plastic/carbon fiber/whatever headband. DO NOT he-man the metal (gentle pressure and release).

This method eliminates compression of the earpads that come with book or tissue box method. It doesn't have you bend the headband part, which will crack in half. It allows you to flex the one part (metal) that actually will flex and won't break.

This application helped my big head fit right from the beginning of my HD650. Be careful. Good luck.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #216 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya, my huge teddy bear is under their death grip right now...i have to stretch them out a bit..

Also need alittle break in it seems....maybe its just coming from a 701, but the bass seems alittle flabby.

The 650s bass will improve with break in. However, even after break in I find that the 701 gives better texture and detail on the bass. The 650 does provide more weight.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #217 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the suggestion I followed:
- pull the earcups and metal bars to full extension
- holding one earcup in one hand and the end of the plastic headband in the other,
- "straighten" the METAL BAR with your thumbs
- flex a little, push with thumbs, release, repeat
- do same to other side

DO NOT bend the plastic/carbon fiber/whatever headband. DO NOT he-man the metal (gentle pressure and release).

This method eliminates compression of the earpads that come with book or tissue box method. It doesn't have you bend the headband part, which will crack in half. It allows you to flex the one part (metal) that actually will flex and won't break.

This application helped my big head fit right from the beginning of my HD650. Be careful. Good luck.

That worked great thanks for the tip...i should of thought of that =) Its much easier on my head now

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650s bass will improve with break in. However, even after break in I find that the 701 gives better texture and detail on the bass. The 650 does provide more weight.

Ya, its great for detail...i like the mids and highs on the 701s alot more.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #218 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The bass will be flabby on most single-ended systems. If you go balanced, the bass will tighten up while keeping the extension. Transient response will be much faster as well, and detail retrieval will be staggering. Imaging will be razor sharp. They're really very different phones when balanced, not laid-back or syrupy sounding but dynamic, aggressive, and in your face - though not as aggressive, I must say, as the HD600 balanced.

I gave up electrostats for these phones, so they must be doing something right. Of course, I'll be coming back to 'stats soon, but I don't know if they'll beat my current system.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #219 of 46,514
god im dreading the going balanced setup =(

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #220 of 46,514
Yes, you definitely need to go balanced - I was shocked by how much better it sounded after I connected a self-made balanced cable to my DAC1. It's pretty easy to diy - do a quick search for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #221 of 46,514
Been listening to my 650s almost exclusively since I've got them...I like the warmth and depth compared to my 595s, which are less full- and forward- sounding...Cardas cable improved the 595s, but even with the stock cable, the 650s are obviously "my" sound. The 595s are a little more comfortable at present, but the 650 headband ought to loosen up a little over time and, even fairly new, are plenty comfortable for about as long as I care to listen at a stretch.

UPS delivered my HRAM-modded JoLida JD100A yesterday afternoon and the 650s through a Meier-Audio Corda Headfive and the JoLida is close enough to audio perfection to keep me happy for a loooong time. Keep discovering gorgeous details in a lot of CDs I thought I knew well
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #222 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you definitely need to go balanced - I was shocked by how much better it sounded after I connected a self-made balanced cable to my DAC1. It's pretty easy to diy - do a quick search for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh poo! I just bought my way out of that problem.
frown.gif

2405798357_ffe1e6d4aa_o.jpg

Apr 12, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #223 of 46,514
I have to get in on this thread. I realize that everything that I can say has already been said but what the heck - I am a fan.

My HD650s have brought hours and hours of pleasure - they are comfortable and they sound great. Not only do they sound great but they are light, comfortable and attractive looking.

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #224 of 46,514
Just bought the 650 for the 2nd time and they are currently burning in and sounding great. I now have 3 headphones that I really enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif
, Edition 9, K340 stock (just right version
biggrin.gif
), and the 650. I like all 3 better than any of my previous cans including K1000, K701, K501, RS1, CD3000, SA5000. The 650 sounds great even with the stock cord. The first time around I had the Zu Mobius cable that was good but very stiff and microphonic. The 650 has great synergy with my RSA amps, Hornet and Raptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back