Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,681 of 46,518

Quote:
One can I have never heard is the 650. Would like too but the T1 is very balanced and really to this day I find they do little wrong and it is very neutral.  Everything blends well.

Here's my experience (being a former HD650 owner and current T1 owner):

HD650s...dark, laid back with significant rolled off treble, bloomy bass which at times seems woobly. Nice mids and adequate sound stage. Very uncomfortable. I actually find the LCD-2s more comfortable. To sum it up, I was never a fan...not very inspiring for me.

T1s: neutral/balanced, much deeper and controlled bass, better (more forward mids) and treble that is much more balanced without being strident. Sound stage was a definite cut above the HD650s. Of all the headphones I own/have owned, I find the least amount of faults with the T1s.

With the previous generation of flagships...I would actually put the DT880/600 and HD600s ahead of the HD650s. (And maybe the K701s...I hate agreeing with Acix on this one.)

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #1,682 of 46,518
Ouch! Isn't this the appreciation thread? Kidding, man. I auditioned the T1s and the treble was way too much for me. I agree on the bass, but they are closed cans, and I wanted some air. It just goes to show this really is a game of personal preference.

Quote:
Here's my experience (being a former HD650 owner and current T1 owner):

HD650s...dark, laid back with significant rolled off treble, bloomy bass which at times seems woobly. Nice mids and adequate sound stage. Very uncomfortable. I actually find the LCD-2s more comfortable. To sum it up, I was never a fan...not very inspiring for me.

T1s: neutral/balanced, much deeper and controlled bass, better (more forward mids) and treble that is much more balanced without being strident. Sound stage was a definite cut above the HD650s. Of all the headphones I own/have owned, I find the least amount of faults with the T1s.

With the previous generation of flagships...I would actually put the DT880/600 and HD600s ahead of the HD650s. (And maybe the K701s...I hate agreeing with Acix on this one.)

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #1,683 of 46,518

Quote:
Ouch! Isn't this the appreciation thread? Kidding, man. I auditioned the T1s and the treble was way too much for me. I agree on the bass, but they are closed cans, and I wanted some air. It just goes to show this really is a game of personal preference.

Sorry, just calling it like I see it (or hear it I guess).

Wow have the HD650s corrupted your view of real life treble.
tongue_smile.gif
  I would call the T1's treble slightly rolled off when compared to say the HD800s/K701s.

BTW, the HD650s/Ts are both open headphones. Don't buy that semi-open crap that beyer tries to sell...like semi pregnant IMO.

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #1,685 of 46,518
Haha! Yeah, I guess I like the "laid back" sound. Let's not call it corruption though. Say, happy aural fallacy? Anyway, always call it like you see it, man.

I've still got a lot to learn for sure. Thanks for the T1 clarification. I thought they were closed. The K701s I yanked off my head screaming. I didn't audition the HD800s because - I just didn't want to know, ya know?

Quote:
Sorry, just calling it like I see it (or hear it I guess).

Wow have the HD650s corrupted your view of real life treble.
tongue_smile.gif
  I would call the T1's treble slightly rolled off when compared to say the HD800s/K701s.

BTW, the HD650s/Ts are both open headphones. Don't buy that semi-open crap that beyer tries to sell...like semi pregnant IMO.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #1,688 of 46,518
Quote:

I've also got this mini DAC on a car battery...so no advantages to RWA in this regard.  The battery power does so much to refine the sound of this little DAC.

I would totally do that but I don't think my landlord would appreciate me having a car battery in my apartment...

Anything comparable in a PSU?

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #1,689 of 46,518

Quote:
Quote:

I would totally do that but I don't think my landlord would appreciate me having a car battery in my apartment...

Anything comparable in a PSU?

I'll probably purchase this little beauty...to power up the DAC and also for the future USB/SPDIF convertor that I will want.  Otherwise - the stock PSU works just fine.

Quote:
Nice internals. The 6001 has six crystal Dac 24/192 and it also has upsampling so as I use SACD frequently I am not interested in separate dacs.
dt880smile.png

For SACD, that's a different story I guess.  I have always felt standard CD playback on the Bryston was better than SACD on my 10kg Pioneer Elite SACD player.  Multi-disc players are inherently compromised in the audio section, but make for a fine transport for DACs.  I also believe all modern 1-bit Delta Sigma DACS (all claim 24/192) do not compare to true R2R multibit DACs.

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #1,690 of 46,518
Quote:
Compared to the HD650 - T1 is more air, more 3D, more detail, more treble, less bass, less midrange warmth (but not in a bad way). 

Short, sweet and precise description
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
sam what opamp is in the BCL

From what I read, BCL doesn't use any op-amp.

Hi SP Wild,  how's the BCL kickin' the T1?  god enough juice? or struggling?

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #1,691 of 46,518
Personally, I don't need to read about the T-1 as I'm in a happy relationship with the HD650's and I don't need more temptation.

blink.gif

But if I were to sneak a taste of forbidden fruit such as the T-1's, read that to say really, really, expensive, would a lover of HD650's like the taste?

???

FWIW, I enjoy, to me, the even bass response, smooth highs and how liquid like piano notes can be when listening with the HD650's.

(Currently listening to Cat Stevens, "Morning Has Broken.")

(Gear the T-1's would be hooked up to would be an April Music, Stello, DA100 Signature DAC and a Burson HA-160, headphone amp.)

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,692 of 46,518

Ah....  my forbidden fruit, i.e., the T1 or the LCD-2.  I avoid those threads.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Personally, I don't need to read about the T-1 as I'm in a happy relationship with the HD650's and I don't need more temptation.

blink.gif

But if I were to sneak a taste of forbidden fruit such as the T-1's, read that to say really, really, expensive, would a lover of HD650's like the taste?

???

FWIW, I enjoy, to me, the even bass response, smooth highs and how liquid like piano notes can be when listening with the HD650's.

(Gear the T-1's would be hooked up to would be an April Music, Stello, DA100 Signature DAC and a Burson HA-160, headphone amp.)

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #1,693 of 46,518
Quote:

blink.gif

???

Beware, T1 with 'wrong' amp, can sound horrible, maybe due to its 600 ohms nature.  I tried T1 with Phoenix (in single ended), it sound, .... 'funny', too much pronounced upper mids, bass ... 'okay'.
But with tube amp, it's LOVELY (that's it!, don't want to poison you further
beerchug.gif
), I don't know how the Bursons drive T1 tho.
Another example, 600 ohms DT880 with any SS amp I tried, sound a tad too bright, but it sound very balance, wide soundstage, full bodied and smooth with Rudi RP3-d (tube hybrid).
HD650 is more 'easy going' in a way that it's easier to sound good with more amps choices.

So yeah, better stay away from those threads, cos you may end up have to buy T1 and the matching amp too, two holes in your wallet  
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #1,694 of 46,518
I don't know how the Bursons drive T1 tho.

My understanding, it limits out at 500Ohms.

So yeah, better stay away from those threads, cos you may end up have to buy T1 and the matching amp too, two holes in your wallet  
biggrin.gif

Oh, hell no.

(Runs and hides behind a tree.  Peeks out from the side, still shaking.)

ph34r.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #1,695 of 46,518

Quote:

Hi SP Wild,  how's the BCL kickin' the T1?  god enough juice? or struggling?

The BCL is a dead neutral professional studio grade headamp designed to drive a 600ohm load with no issues - and I felt it had plenty of drive for the T1s with the a solid state precision.  The biggest weakness of the BCL is that the soundstage is not quite as big as what can be presented on a higher end amp - other than that, any details your DAC can extract will not be missed by the BCL - transient response is as good as they come on any amplifier. 

However I did enjoy the T1 more out of tubes.

The HD800 is a good compliment to the HD650s in terms of tonal balance - the HD800 is also vastly more technically accomplished.  If you want to keep the HD650s tonality the two "upgrade" paths ar the T1, if you felt the HD650 was too intimate.  If you like the HD650s intimacy - then the other route is the LCD2.  Also I found that the D7000 - EQ'd to sound like either T1 or HD800 plays in the same league - being equal to T1s transients - but both T1 and D7000 (with a 12db bass cut at 20hz from a gentle curve starting at 300hz) are pretty much equal on technical terms and the HD800 has an edge over the both of them in transient response.  When one considers the street price of the D7000 - and if you are aware of the benefits of EQ - the D7000s are the bargain.  I actually found the D7000 to have a tighter sub-bass than the HD800 when EQ'd to sound like the HD800 - but falls behind in treble transients.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back