Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #16,217 of 46,554
  I can now see why even after all this time the HD 650 is so well thought of even if someone prefers a different sound signature. They are for total sure different than the HD 560 II's I been using for 20 years. But at the same time not always better.

I think the 560 II are more detailed honestly. BUT their downfall is basically it seems to me while 560 II have more detail and clarity in the highs that are beyond anything I've heard, they fall short on bass badly compared to the 650's. Which in turn is why they are clearer highs and more detailed. But the HD 650 is much more musical, that extra hint of bass throughout gives 650 a overall balance that seems like it's what things are supposed to sound like. It's like 560 II's are a detailed examination of the music in clarity and the 650 is a laid back listening to the overall precision as it all comes together, it's like the entire thing becomes whole. I find myself with the 650's saying oh yea that's exactly how that instrument sounds playing that ..

I probably seem like I'm rambling and it's probably what many have known here for years, although the HD 560 II's are a rare breed from a time before today's market took off. But they are still a very special pair of headphones.

Oh and the HD 560 II's are still the most comfortable headphone I've ever had on my head. The 650's are nice in that regard but they aren't as plush soft and comfy as the 560 II's were for sure.

I thin that one of the secrets of the HD650 is that they need to be treated as picky, high-end headphones, and everyone treats as a go-to good guy headphone for any situation. The better the amplification, the more they step up. I think I'm saying that when you buy your HD800, your T1, your HE-6, your LCDwhatever, don't sell the HD650s. As your system evolves, so will they. IMHO. YMMV. Now wanting to hear them through the Lehmann Linear SE. Money, money, money.

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #16,219 of 46,554
  For me, yes, it was worth it (though you can get it for less than full retail).  I listen to a lot of classical and other genres that really like air, space, and detail which while decent with the HD650s, is superb on the HD800s.  There is no better headphone IMHO for classical than the HD800s.  And really, it handles all genres well.  It isn't a bass monster, but it has some of the most nuanced and extended bass that you will find.  I was worried about the treble from all of the reports, but there are cheap, easy, reversible mods that can help with that.  As for your listening chain, it looks like you have a perfect setup already to enjoy some HD800s.  I have heard my own pair out of many different amps, and while something like the Eddie Current Balancing Act sounds sublime, I wouldn't pay the extra $3000 over something like a Crack for the difference in sound quality.  I mean, I am thoroughly enjoying my pair out of a Schiit Vali right now.  The Crack with Speedball has routinely been recommended for Sennheisers and I know at least one person who likes his HD800s out of his Crack better than any amp he has heard, including B22s, and a Woo WA22.  

I like the HD800 and HD650 together, as I get the resolution and technical prowess of the HD800 when I want to immerse myself in a symphony, but can wrap myself up in the warmth of Norah Jones, or groove to some Daft Punk with the HD650s.  

Do you still have the HiFi-M8?  Have you paired them with the HD650s yet?  I adore the combination...

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #16,220 of 46,554
Do you still have the HiFi-M8?  Have you paired them with the HD650s yet?  I adore the combination...

I don't have it anymore. Unfortunately I never got to try the pair. I have no doubt they would sound good together, the M8 is fantastic.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #16,221 of 46,554

Quoting a long gone post, but just an update, the ebay seller is now selling a 23 step Valab attenuator using SMD parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-23-Step-Attenuator-Potentiometer-100K-Stereo-Log-/281265201521?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item417cb66171

unsure if it'll perform the same, or whether it'll be a completely different sound. For better or worse.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #16,222 of 46,554

I thin that one of the secrets of the HD650 is that they need to be treated as picky, high-end headphones, and everyone treats as a go-to good guy headphone for any situation. The better the amplification, the more they step up. I think I'm saying that when you buy your HD800, your T1, your HE-6, your LCDwhatever, don't sell the HD650s. As your system evolves, so will they. IMHO. YMMV. Now wanting to hear them through the Lehmann Linear SE. Money, money, money.

Mmmm since you already bit the bullet for Gungnir... I would recommend Mjolnir as a contender for a SS amp
biggrin.gif
going full balanced does wonders for the soundstage of the HD650s. If you wanna stick with SE and tube... go Bottlehead Crack!!! I'm just itching for someone here in Toronto to share a buy with me so I can get discount and save on shipping.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #16,223 of 46,554

It's amazing through the Lehmann!

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #16,224 of 46,554
It's amazing through the Lehmann!

It's already amazing (as is the HD800) through the Lovely Cube - that's why I'm thinking Lehmann! Thanks for the reinforcement!

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #16,225 of 46,554
Any of you hd650 owners have LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-x, T1, or similar headphones?

And if so, have you liked any of them enough to replace your hd650's as your main listening headphones?

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #16,226 of 46,554
^^ The T1 had too much treble for me, but was very comfortable. The lcd3 is very good and I found the lcd-x even better...crazy good.  The lcd2 has a similar, darker tonality, to the 650 and beautiful sub bass. But I found all of the Audeze too heavy and with bad weight distribution. Ultimately they were not comfortable enough to keep. 

In the end the 650 paired with the crack is more enjoyable both in terms of it's signature and comfort as a daily driver hp, especially when amped to it's full potential (BHC). 

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #16,227 of 46,554
  Any of you hd650 owners have LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-x, T1, or similar headphones?

And if so, have you liked any of them enough to replace your hd650's as your main listening headphones?

I got my LCD2s a while back specifically because I wanted a similar warm slightly rolled off sound as the HD650 but "better."  While I very much enjoyed the LCD2s and was fine with their comfort, i thought they did natural air possibly a bit worse than the HD650s.  I have really wanted to love orthos and have auditioned just about all of them, but they have never sounded as natural to me as good dynamics.  Only the HD800s dropped my HD650s out of use, but I will say I haven't picked up my HD800s since I got a new pair of HD650s back in on Friday.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #16,228 of 46,554
  I got my LCD2s a while back specifically because I wanted a similar warm slightly rolled off sound as the HD650 but "better."  While I very much enjoyed the LCD2s and was fine with their comfort, i thought they did natural air possibly a bit worse than the HD650s.  I have really wanted to love orthos and have auditioned just about all of them, but they have never sounded as natural to me as good dynamics.  Only the HD800s dropped my HD650s out of use, but I will say I haven't picked up my HD800s since I got a new pair of HD650s back in on Friday.

awesome, thanks for the info!

do you lcd's have better bass at least?  or the hd800's for that matter?  i figure if everything else is similar to the hd650's, but have better bass, i use 650's for music, and 800's or lcd's for gaming.

picked up he-400's for gaming and didn't like them at all.  hoping the higher end orthos might be a better choice.

but that being said, i always go back to sennheisers in the end.  i just prefer their comfort and sound signature.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #16,229 of 46,554
I found the lcd2 to have better weight/visceral impact to the 650 with regard to sub bass. But the 650 does go nice and low, it just doesn't punch as hard as the lcd2. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #16,230 of 46,554

awesome, thanks for the info!

do you lcd's have better bass at least?  or the hd800's for that matter?  i figure if everything else is similar to the hd650's, but have better bass, i use 650's for music, and 800's or lcd's for gaming.

picked up he-400's for gaming and didn't like them at all.  hoping the higher end orthos might be a better choice.

but that being said, i always go back to sennheisers in the end.  i just prefer their comfort and sound signature.

Like Matt said, the bass of the LCDs has a bit more weight to the bass, and it is a bit cleaner too.  That is the thing I noticed about orthos is that they do a good job of putting focus on all the parts of the sound.  Everything is in very clear focus with excellent detail and texture.  But I feel that for me, there wasn't as coherent or natural a whole to the picture as something like the HD800 or even the HD650 in some respects.

The HD800 does not have the warmth or boosted mid bass of the HD650, it is very balanced all the way through.  That said, the HD800 has very articulate bass that can punch quite nicely when called for (this is where giving them enough voltage comes in).  Where the HD800 excels for me is creating space.  Better than any other headphone I have spent a lot of head time with, the HD800 allows me to forget I am wearing headphones and places me in the performance, especially with well-recorded classical and acoustic.  It comes closest to a live performance for me (my goal).  I think with that ability, they would be phenomenal gaming headphones (albeit quite expensive one).  You aren't going to be overwhelmed by huge farting bass during explosions, but you will have quite an immersive experience I would imagine (I don't game on my computer anymore).  

Like I mentioned before, I think the Sennheiser siblings are excellent complements to each other.  One allows me to be in the recording and the performance, the other lets me lose myself in the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back