Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #16,201 of 46,554
  So the HD650s were the first really good headphone that I ever had (well the Shure SRH840s weren't slouches).  I got them with a broken headband, a headband pad that looked like a deflated balloon, and earpads that smelled like they had been stored in an ashtray.  Other than that they were mint!  After some gentle resuscitation, cleansing, and DIYing, I had a wonderful sounding pair of headphones.  Well my Headfi journey has taken me through many headphones (dozens) including orthos some TOTL dynamics and the like, but the HD650s stayed in the stable until I found the HD800s.  At the time I was so enthralled by everything the HD800s did that I ended up selling the HD650s both because they weren't being used anymore and I was trying to recoup funds.  I didn't regret it until recently as I realized as much as I still adore the HD800s, I was missing just a little bit of romance and warmth from my music.  Funny enough it is was adding a touch of warmth and romance to my HD800s via a Schiit Vali that reminded me of what I was missing.  Well, I am so happy to say, that as of today, I have returned home, so to speak, in my Headfi journey and once again own a pair of HD650s.  They are everything I remember and more (these were new in box), and will never be leaving again.

+1

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #16,202 of 46,554
  Love Bonamassa , some songs like "No Slack" , "Miss you hate you" sound incredible  
Love the album "Blues Deluxe" and " So, It's Like That"  , big fan !!

I have been listening to "So, it's Like That"...for a solid week now 
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #16,204 of 46,554
Mar 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #16,205 of 46,554
I have been enjoying my HD650s for the last month with my O2 + ODAC combo. They sound really good with that setup, but I am very excited this afternoon because UPS just dropped off my Bottlehead Crack kit. It looks like I have a busy weekend ahead:) I will keep you guys posted.

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #16,206 of 46,554
  I have been enjoying my HD650s for the last month with my O2 + ODAC combo. They sound really good with that setup, but I am very excited this afternoon because UPS just dropped off my Bottlehead Crack kit. It looks like I have a busy weekend ahead:) I will keep you guys posted.

Congrats.

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #16,207 of 46,554
Meanwhile I have to sit through the weekend knowing my HD 650 and Momentum's won't be here till monday. But finally after using HD 560 Ovation II's for 20 yrs now I will certainly have some answers to questions I've had for a very long long time.

I will be using both with the new ASRock Purity Sound supposed to be capable of 600 ohm load. Either way this weekend is gonna be a LONG one.

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #16,209 of 46,554

Good acquisition! Do share how it sounds with the ODAC. I'm curious since I have the same set-up, only my O2 has a booster board installed.

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #16,210 of 46,554

Very jealous as I ordered mine today and I have 3-4 weeks of lead time.  When did you place your order?

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #16,211 of 46,554
  So the HD650s were the first really good headphone that I ever had (well the Shure SRH840s weren't slouches).  I got them with a broken headband, a headband pad that looked like a deflated balloon, and earpads that smelled like they had been stored in an ashtray.  Other than that they were mint!  After some gentle resuscitation, cleansing, and DIYing, I had a wonderful sounding pair of headphones.  Well my Headfi journey has taken me through many headphones (dozens) including orthos some TOTL dynamics and the like, but the HD650s stayed in the stable until I found the HD800s.  At the time I was so enthralled by everything the HD800s did that I ended up selling the HD650s both because they weren't being used anymore and I was trying to recoup funds.  I didn't regret it until recently as I realized as much as I still adore the HD800s, I was missing just a little bit of romance and warmth from my music.  Funny enough it is was adding a touch of warmth and romance to my HD800s via a Schiit Vali that reminded me of what I was missing.  Well, I am so happy to say, that as of today, I have returned home, so to speak, in my Headfi journey and once again own a pair of HD650s.  They are everything I remember and more (these were new in box), and will never be leaving again.

Man, this worries me.  I have the 650's at the moment and am VERY pleased with them in nearly every way imaginable.  Are the HD800's really worth $1500 as an upgrade from the HD650's?  If I do end up with a set, will I need to buy some crazy expensive amp for it to be worth getting?  I'm a big fan of slightly warm headphones. Rolled highs = peace for my ears

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #16,214 of 46,554

Man, this worries me.  I have the 650's at the moment and am VERY pleased with them in nearly every way imaginable.  Are the HD800's really worth $1500 as an upgrade from the HD650's?  If I do end up with a set, will I need to buy some crazy expensive amp for it to be worth getting?  I'm a big fan of slightly warm headphones. Rolled highs = peace for my ears

For me, yes, it was worth it (though you can get it for less than full retail).  I listen to a lot of classical and other genres that really like air, space, and detail which while decent with the HD650s, is superb on the HD800s.  There is no better headphone IMHO for classical than the HD800s.  And really, it handles all genres well.  It isn't a bass monster, but it has some of the most nuanced and extended bass that you will find.  I was worried about the treble from all of the reports, but there are cheap, easy, reversible mods that can help with that.  As for your listening chain, it looks like you have a perfect setup already to enjoy some HD800s.  I have heard my own pair out of many different amps, and while something like the Eddie Current Balancing Act sounds sublime, I wouldn't pay the extra $3000 over something like a Crack for the difference in sound quality.  I mean, I am thoroughly enjoying my pair out of a Schiit Vali right now.  The Crack with Speedball has routinely been recommended for Sennheisers and I know at least one person who likes his HD800s out of his Crack better than any amp he has heard, including B22s, and a Woo WA22.  

I like the HD800 and HD650 together, as I get the resolution and technical prowess of the HD800 when I want to immerse myself in a symphony, but can wrap myself up in the warmth of Norah Jones, or groove to some Daft Punk with the HD650s.  

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #16,215 of 46,554
I can now see why even after all this time the HD 650 is so well thought of even if someone prefers a different sound signature. They are for total sure different than the HD 560 II's I been using for 20 years. But at the same time not always better.

I think the 560 II are more detailed honestly. BUT their downfall is basically it seems to me while 560 II have more detail and clarity in the highs that are beyond anything I've heard, they fall short on bass badly compared to the 650's. Which in turn is why they are clearer highs and more detailed. But the HD 650 is much more musical, that extra hint of bass throughout gives 650 a overall balance that seems like it's what things are supposed to sound like. It's like 560 II's are a detailed examination of the music in clarity and the 650 is a laid back listening to the overall precision as it all comes together, it's like the entire thing becomes whole. I find myself with the 650's saying oh yea that's exactly how that instrument sounds playing that ..

I probably seem like I'm rambling and it's probably what many have known here for years, although the HD 560 II's are a rare breed from a time before today's market took off. But they are still a very special pair of headphones.

Oh and the HD 560 II's are still the most comfortable headphone I've ever had on my head. The 650's are nice in that regard but they aren't as plush soft and comfy as the 560 II's were for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back