Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Sep 1, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #4,816 of 6,583
Can't speak on EQing per say as I never use it but the phones, all phones have their own voice or colouring as you are well aware. Don't believe I'd call the S2 dark, maybe slightly warm and maybe prodigious EQ might brighten things up but you would change the overall tonal balance. If sticking with Sennheiser the HD560S or HD599 would offer a brighter presentation, otherwise something like Focal or a Grado may be more in line with your preferences.
Possibly just removing the inner foam may be enough for what you are hoping to achieve.
i mean, i love the easy going treble compared to my meze 109 pro which also are beautiful but the treble i something else. i wish the s2 where just slight brighter on some tracks. but it is not bad at all as some might claim it to be

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #4,819 of 6,583
Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 5.37.30 PM.png

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Sep 2, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #4,820 of 6,583
:sweat_smile::thinking::face_palm:

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #4,822 of 6,583
Just spent sometime with my smaller rig (Modi/Vali2++/660s2) Listening to Brian Eno's newest release. O my.... I've never heard bass/sub-bass on any Sennheiser before like this. I was truly blown away. Please note that I'm not a basshead in any way, but this was a new Sennheiser experience for me.... :wink:

Leo

1693703345148.png

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #4,824 of 6,583
But back to my comparisons with the S2 and HD660S....both are run with a single ended with 1/4" connections off the Sennheiser HDVD800.
Using this playlist generated by Tidal.....
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/8801deff-f577-438b-a11a-873328e43310
This track "The Spirit of Dun Dun" brought out the obvious differences I mentioned previously with the S2......
https://tidal.com/browse/track/52577957
Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at 9.46.28 AM.png
Would say the S2 has slightly more meat on the bone, but only very slightly so there is an improvement all round in harmonic naturalness, maybe better defined layering and a touch more bass extension making the S2 ever so slightly warmer,
The overall experience I believe is from slightly better control, less distortion possibly from a more robust 300 ohm driver ?... at first it may appear subtle but quite obvious IMHO after extended listening so that the sound is, how can I say, more "life like", as far as headphones go.
And because of, for me, the S2 offers a more relaxed, less edgy, listening experience over the 660S.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #4,825 of 6,583
But back to my comparisons with the S2 and HD660S....both are run with a single ended with 1/4" connections off the Sennheiser HDVD800.
Using this playlist generated by Tidal.....
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/8801deff-f577-438b-a11a-873328e43310
This track "The Spirit of Dun Dun" brought out the obvious differences I mentioned previously with the S2......
https://tidal.com/browse/track/52577957

The overall experience I believe is from slightly better control, less distortion possibly from a more robust 300 ohm driver ?... at first it may appear subtle but quite obvious IMHO after extended listening so that the sound is, how can I say, more "life like", as far as headphones go.
And because of, for me, the S2 offers a more relaxed, less edgy, listening experience over the 660S.
It's due to the different driver material, better driver airflow, and a different voice coil. A lighter voice coil on an identical/similar driver usually indicates better technical performance from the driver, but all the HD 6xx line has different drivers from each other which makes it harder to compare on that front. I believe mainly just the DT 880, etc. have the same membrane, driver assembly with different voice coils making the difference between those purely the voice coil (correct me if I'm wrong). This isn't the case with the HD 600/650/660S/660S2 compared to each other.

The HD 660S2 is without question technically superior to the HD 660S though, some people just prefer the tuning of the S1. But in a different headphone series, I had the opposite happen where I found the newer lower impedance model to be technically superior, the 32 Ohm T1.3 driver was superior to the 600 Ohm T1.2 driver to my ears.

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #4,827 of 6,583
The benefits of the S2's improved technicalities may or may not be readily apparent on some garden variety equipment but tonally I'd say the two are very similar.
Purely going by memory, I find the S2's to be a little "fuller" or bassier. After a month or two with the S's, I got a little bored. There was no outstanding feature that made me want to keep them, like all the other Senn's.
The S2's just strike me as more fun.

I am really looking forward to getting these back on tomorrow. That was not happening with my S's a year or two ago.

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #4,828 of 6,583
Truth or fiction.....funny though. Blame chesebert for that though. :beyersmile:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-660S2-Audiophile-Headphones-Transducer/dp/B0BRT1ZN7Q
Not to lead someone astray. :sunglasses:
🤣 I thought I had a positive experience with my second pair and said S2 was a very small step up from 650 but was easy to drive and sounded good out of anything.

But I admit, people blame me for a lot of things - such as using a power amp without preamp to drive Susvara and getting mad at me for lackluster bass and thin sounding 🤦‍♂️

Sep 3, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #4,829 of 6,583
Purely going by memory, I find the S2's to be a little "fuller" or bassier. After a month or two with the S's, I got a little bored.
The differences may be subtle to some but real, with the S2 the playback just sounds that more correct, sophisticated(?) and inviting, hard to exactly put one's finger on it but sometimes we just have to trust our brain. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back