Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #22,486 of 23,482
I won't be surprised if say 10 or 15 years from now we'll still talk about these Senns.
I’ve already had my 580s for WAY longer than that, and the 600s are probably in that range. My 650s were a more recent, preowned pickup - and they were supposed to be IT, but I failed to stop myself and GAS started to kick in. Now I think I’m going to do like @BobG55 and get rid of everything else. Three stations, three Senns. Of course, there is this limited edition pair of Bocote ZMF’s…

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #22,487 of 23,482
I’ve already had my 580s for WAY longer than that, and the 600s are probably in that range

Yes, I'm aware that HD 580 have been around for more than 20 years IIRC and I'm not surprised that folks here still use them daily. I just wanted to say that for Senns HD 580/600 there's always going to be place among enthusiasts, of course as long as wired full-sized cans are a thing :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #22,489 of 23,482
Having different headphones over the years, I still have HD600 with me.
Honestly think having one of the HD 6xx series whether it’s the HD 580, 600, 650, or 660 S is something about every headphone audiophile should have even if they’re not their favorite headphone. Because honestly everything is compared to them and are the defacto baseline audiophile headphones.

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #22,490 of 23,482
Honestly think having one of the HD 6xx series whether it’s the HD 580, 600, 650, or 660 S is something about every headphone audiophile should have even if they’re not their favorite headphone. Because honestly everything is compared to them and are the defacto baseline audiophile headphones.
Agreed. Plus I always miss that timbre, especially after listening to planars.

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #22,491 of 23,482
The Vali 2++ is a hell of an amp that can do justice to almost every headphone in the market.
Never heard the Modi 3E but I don't see why it cannot do justice to the HD600.
Thank you!

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #22,492 of 23,482
I'm using a Vali 2+ and Modi 3E with HD600 and it sounds great. The Modi 3E is in several ways better than the Bifrost 2. I'm enjoying increased resolution and air.
Thank you!

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #22,493 of 23,482
Dear HD600s -

I have spent much of the last week and a half trying to bend a pair of Grado RS-1e to my will. They’re very nice and they definitely have a high ‘coolness’ factor, but for me (and nothing I’m writing here necessarily applies to anyone but me - just writing out something’s I’ve been thinking about for my own benefit - you don’t have to agree or even be interested, and certainly no one should get agitated) they have proven to be fraught with problems. I continue to try and I have yet another set of Dekoni pads coming to try to round out the overall sound to the way I like it. In the meantime, at the end of the afternoon today, after an unsuccessful session with the full sheepskin Dekonis which made the Grados into bass cannons lacking any detail, verve or presence - the Grado hallmarks, I put on my CC/Dekoni modified HD600’s, as a palate cleanser. And you know what, my shoulders unclenched, my ears stopped hurting and I started enjoying my music (yeah, I know it’s cliché - it’s also true). Over the last three or four years I’ve bought and, for one reason or another, sold several Audeze, HIFiMan, Focal, Quad, DCA, even higher end/newer Sennheisers, ALL OF WHICH ARE WONDERFUL HEADPHONES, but I keep coming back to the HD580/600/650. So this apparently psychotic behavior from an otherwise merely neurotic midfle-aged man begs the question: what’s wrong with the Sennheisers that I keep trying to replace them? I can’t come up with a satisfying answer. Certainly, there is nothing glaringly sonically wrong with them I know there are naysayers - I disagree with them completely). I’m NOT suggesting that they are the best at anything, except the thing that is most important to me - balance. But that explains why I keep coming back to them, not why I keep trying to replace them. And then, suddenly, the answer dawned on me. Their unmatched success for the last essentially 30 years has made the ubiquitous. They’re made, extremely well, of plastic. And they don’t have the best, bass, or the best soundstage, or the best definition - nothing obvious to separate them from the crowd. So, it turns out, much to my own dismay, that, natural curiosity aside, my search has not in fact been for the most satisfying sound, I have that, it has been a search for ‘pride of ownership’. I believe that if the Sennheisers were hand made of wood and leather, they would be regarded even more highly than they already are. The Grados are great and deserve their following, but for me the tuning of the Senns is where it’s at, especially with the little tweaks I’ve added over the years (pads, wire, foam removal, copper weights, etc.). The only reason I’ve spent all this time with the Grados is that they’re hand made in small batches out of leather and mahogany, they are not a sleekly finished, relatively mass produced commercial product made mostly of plastic. I guess I’d be happier if Sennheiser came out with a limited edition made of exotic wood and leather, or exotic carbon fiber (‘member the Jubilee - I ‘member and still rue declining the one opportunity I had to buy a pair). Anyway, I’ve sold my Audeze and HiFiMans (HiFiMen?) and everything else but a pair of Aeon Open X (which are listed for sale cheap on USAM.) and the wood Grados, which I’m still working on but will soon be ready to give up and follow in the footsteps of @BobG55, leaving myself with nothing the 580/600/660 siblings, my 50 years in the making and still growing record an cd collection and a big smile on my face.

Love,

Neil

I don’t expect anyone to read or, frankly, understand what I wrote above or the reasons I wrote it. My own personal catharsis, perhaps, with little expectation of actually being heard.

But, for anyone who did bother to read some or all of this rambling post: Thanks. Sorry for all the typos and even more sorry if I failed to move you or even make any sense at all.

For everyone else (just so it’s not a total loss), this is Kurt Vonnegut's drawing of an @$$hole:

1ADF14FE-C09E-4446-9A3C-9B436C20117A.jpeg

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #22,494 of 23,482
Dear HD600s -

I have spent much of the last week and a half trying to bend a pair of Grado RS-1e to my will. They’re very nice and they definitely have a high ‘coolness’ factor, but for me (and nothing I’m writing here necessarily applies to anyone but me - just writing out something’s I’ve been thinking about for my own benefit - you don’t have to agree or even be interested, and certainly no one should get agitated) they have proven to be fraught with problems. I continue to try and I have yet another set of Dekoni pads coming to try to round out the overall sound to the way I like it. In the meantime, at the end of the afternoon today, after an unsuccessful session with the full sheepskin Dekonis which made the Grados into bass cannons lacking any detail, verve or presence - the Grado hallmarks, I put on my CC/Dekoni modified HD600’s, as a palate cleanser. And you know what, my shoulders unclenched, my ears stopped hurting and I started enjoying my music (yeah, I know it’s cliché - it’s also true). Over the last three or four years I’ve bought and, for one reason or another, sold several Audeze, HIFiMan, Focal, Quad, DCA, even higher end/newer Sennheisers, ALL OF WHICH ARE WONDERFUL HEADPHONES, but I keep coming back to the HD580/600/650. So this apparently psychotic behavior from an otherwise merely neurotic midfle-aged man begs the question: what’s wrong with the Sennheisers that I keep trying to replace them? I can’t come up with a satisfying answer. Certainly, there is nothing glaringly sonically wrong with them I know there are naysayers - I disagree with them completely). I’m NOT suggesting that they are the best at anything, except the thing that is most important to me - balance. But that explains why I keep coming back to them, not why I keep trying to replace them. And then, suddenly, the answer dawned on me. Their unmatched success for the last essentially 30 years has made the ubiquitous. They’re made, extremely well, of plastic. And they don’t have the best, bass, or the best soundstage, or the best definition - nothing obvious to separate them from the crowd. So, it turns out, much to my own dismay, that, natural curiosity aside, my search has not in fact been for the most satisfying sound, I have that, it has been a search for ‘pride of ownership’. I believe that if the Sennheisers were hand made of wood and leather, they would be regarded even more highly than they already are. The Grados very great and deserve their following, but for me the tuning of the Senns is where it’s at, especially with the little tweaks I’ve added over the years (pads, wire, foam removal, copper weights, etc.). The only reason I’ve spent all this time with the Grados is that they’re hand made in small batches out of leather and mahogany, they are not a sleekly finished, relatively mass produced commercial product made mostly of plastic. I guess if he hsppier if Sennheiser came out with a limited edition made of exotic wood and leather, or exotic carbon fiber (‘member the Jubilee - I ‘member and still rue declining the one opportunity I had to buy a pair). Anyway, I’ve sold my Audeze and HiFiMans (HiFiMen?) and everything else but a pair of Aeon Open X (which are listed for sale cheap on USAM.) and the wood Grados, which I’m still working on but will soon be ready to give up and follow in the footsteps of @BobG55, leaving myself with nothing the 580/600/660 siblings, my 50 years in the making and still growing record an cd collection and a big smile on my face.

Love,

Neil

I don’t expect anyone to read or, frankly, understand what I wrote above or the reasons I wrote it. My own personal catharsis, perhaps, with little expectation of actually being heard.

But, for anyone who did bother to read some or all of this rambling post: Thanks. Sorry for all the typos and even more sorry if I failed to move you or even make any sense at all.

For everyone else (just so it’s not a total loss), this is Kurt Vonnegut's drawing of an @$$hole:

I read it and I fully understand. A lot of what you mention, I did also : more expensive headphones that I eventually sold, etc. You also hit the nail on the head about the HD600‘s main quality which I also share and agree with : balance. When Tyll Hertsens retired in 2018 from Inner Fidelity, the HD600 was still part of his famous “Wall of Fame”. At the time the HD600 was a 21 years old. Tyll always raved about the HD600’s midrange. I’m not proficient at describing sound and I’m not tech savvy which means, I don’t really understand audio measurements, etc. I tried but I was lousy in math also during my school years meaning, some things just don’t register with me. What I rely on are my ears and the type of sound I prefer. As mentioned before, a few very expensive headphones have come and gone over the years but I have never been without the HD600 since 2003 or the HD650 since 2005 and those are the only two headphones I now own and which I’m quite content with. I don’t feel I’m missing on anything.

BTW Strat, I recognized Kurt Vonnegut Jr.‘s signature immediately. 😁

Great post. 👍

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #22,495 of 23,482
Dear HD600s -

I have spent much of the last week and a half trying to bend a pair of Grado RS-1e to my will. They’re very nice and they definitely have a high ‘coolness’ factor, but for me (and nothing I’m writing here necessarily applies to anyone but me - just writing out something’s I’ve been thinking about for my own benefit - you don’t have to agree or even be interested, and certainly no one should get agitated) they have proven to be fraught with problems. I continue to try and I have yet another set of Dekoni pads coming to try to round out the overall sound to the way I like it. In the meantime, at the end of the afternoon today, after an unsuccessful session with the full sheepskin Dekonis which made the Grados into bass cannons lacking any detail, verve or presence - the Grado hallmarks, I put on my CC/Dekoni modified HD600’s, as a palate cleanser. And you know what, my shoulders unclenched, my ears stopped hurting and I started enjoying my music (yeah, I know it’s cliché - it’s also true). Over the last three or four years I’ve bought and, for one reason or another, sold several Audeze, HIFiMan, Focal, Quad, DCA, even higher end/newer Sennheisers, ALL OF WHICH ARE WONDERFUL HEADPHONES, but I keep coming back to the HD580/600/650. So this apparently psychotic behavior from an otherwise merely neurotic midfle-aged man begs the question: what’s wrong with the Sennheisers that I keep trying to replace them? I can’t come up with a satisfying answer. Certainly, there is nothing glaringly sonically wrong with them I know there are naysayers - I disagree with them completely). I’m NOT suggesting that they are the best at anything, except the thing that is most important to me - balance. But that explains why I keep coming back to them, not why I keep trying to replace them. And then, suddenly, the answer dawned on me. Their unmatched success for the last essentially 30 years has made the ubiquitous. They’re made, extremely well, of plastic. And they don’t have the best, bass, or the best soundstage, or the best definition - nothing obvious to separate them from the crowd. So, it turns out, much to my own dismay, that, natural curiosity aside, my search has not in fact been for the most satisfying sound, I have that, it has been a search for ‘pride of ownership’. I believe that if the Sennheisers were hand made of wood and leather, they would be regarded even more highly than they already are. The Grados are great and deserve their following, but for me the tuning of the Senns is where it’s at, especially with the little tweaks I’ve added over the years (pads, wire, foam removal, copper weights, etc.). The only reason I’ve spent all this time with the Grados is that they’re hand made in small batches out of leather and mahogany, they are not a sleekly finished, relatively mass produced commercial product made mostly of plastic. I guess I’d be happier if Sennheiser came out with a limited edition made of exotic wood and leather, or exotic carbon fiber (‘member the Jubilee - I ‘member and still rue declining the one opportunity I had to buy a pair). Anyway, I’ve sold my Audeze and HiFiMans (HiFiMen?) and everything else but a pair of Aeon Open X (which are listed for sale cheap on USAM.) and the wood Grados, which I’m still working on but will soon be ready to give up and follow in the footsteps of @BobG55, leaving myself with nothing the 580/600/660 siblings, my 50 years in the making and still growing record an cd collection and a big smile on my face.

Love,

Neil

1ADF14FE-C09E-4446-9A3C-9B436C20117A.jpeg

Great post

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #22,496 of 23,482
I read it and I fully understand. A lot of what you mention, I did also : more expensive headphones that I eventually sold, etc. You also hit the nail on the head about the HD600‘s main quality which I also share and agree with : balance. When Tyll Hertsens retired in 2018 from Inner Fidelity, the HD600 was still part of his famous “Wall of Fame”. At the time the HD600 was a 21 years old. Tyll always raved about the HD600’s midrange. I’m not proficient at describing sound and I’m not tech savvy which means, I don’t really understand audio measurements, etc. I tried but I was lousy in math also during my school years meaning, some things just don’t register with me. What I rely on are my ears and the type of sound I prefer. As mentioned before, a few very expensive headphones have come and gone over the years but I have never been without the HD600 since 2003 or the HD650 since 2005 and those are the only two headphones I now own and which I’m quite content with. I don’t feel I’m missing on anything.

BTW Strat, I recognized Kurt Vonnegut Jr.‘s signature immediately. 😁

Great post. 👍

Great post
Thank you, gentlemen.

Neil

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #22,497 of 23,482
They do have that beautiful balance to them. For me personally, it's the 600.

The technical performance IMO of the 600 is good, however it is bested in technical things like clarity, soundstage, imaging, extension into sub-bass, etc by others.

Regardless, they are just plain enjoyable to listen to, have a beautiful midrange and naturalness to them with a non-fatiguing sound.

I try very hard to sell my headphones when possible but 600 is one I just always plop on my head and I'm just content.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #22,498 of 23,482

The technical performance IMO of the 600 is good, however it is bested in technical things like clarity, soundstage, imaging, extension into sub-bass, etc by others.

Regardless, they are just plain enjoyable to listen to, have a beautiful midrange and naturalness to them with a non-fatiguing sound.

I try very hard to sell my headphones when possible but 600 is one I just always plop on my head and I'm just content.

^ perfectly stated!

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #22,499 of 23,482

I agree with you, and I could set forth multiple thoughts on why those ‘technical’ things are less important to overall musical satisfaction than timbre, dynamics and tonal saturation, which primarily boil down to something like “when I attend a concert at Carnegie Hall, I don’t listen for spatial placement, etc., but I do listen for the sonority and texture of the instruments” and I would be right, for myself at least.

The Sennheisers, when properly amped (I know I say that a lot, because IMHO the importance of the amp to 300 ohm cans can’t be overstated), have those things that I crave - timbre, enough micro- and macro-dynamics not to be boring and tonal saturation - in just the right proportions. As a result, they allow me to forget the technical stuff altogether and simply listen to the music. Yes, my 600s are a bit modded - Dekoni pads, rear foam removal, CC ring, mogami wire and furutech connectors - but those things are just salt and pepper; add or not to taste. If the basic design wasn’t so well balanced to begin with, as you pointed out, none of that tweaking would be worth the effort.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #22,500 of 23,482
The Dekoni Elite Sheepskin earpads for the MDR7506 are great w the 600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back