Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #1,081 of 23,482

Quote:
Isn't most Audio-GD gear tuned around the HD600's? They always seem to match really well with them. I know my Audio-GD ROC (discontinued balanced amp) sounds great with my HD600. It drives them with absolute ease and the sound is so open. Too bad they discontinued it, as well as the SA variation. Great amps.

Also the NFB12.1 is a great amp/DAC for the money. Easily bests Little-Dots OTL offerings. It also have more than enough voltage and power for the HD600.

Not sure if they tune for it but I love my HD600 with the Audio-GD FUN.  Easily drives them to ridiculously loud levels with ease. 

I've commented before I personally prefer the HD600 over the HD650.  I enjoy having the best of both worlds a neutral open can with incredible details and when I want a more "dynamic" sound I just slap on the Denon AH-D7000s and go to town.

Here's them chilling together.  For me...audio heaven :)

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,082 of 23,482
Maybe go for the HD700 instead. Your current amp should be more than enough for it.

Quote:
It's actually got to the point where I'm second guessing on whether to spend more at the moment on dac/amp (was considering Bifrost/Valhalla combo).  The more I listen to the NFB-12, the more I realise what a great value combo it  aleeady is.  For the $700 or so to upgrade, I could probably think about something in the new HD700 class instead .......

That could be a nice combo.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,083 of 23,482

Quote:
It's actually got to the point where I'm second guessing on whether to spend more at the moment on dac/amp (was considering Bifrost/Valhalla combo).  The more I listen to the NFB-12, the more I realise what a great value combo it  aleeady is.  For the $700 or so to upgrade, I could probably think about something in the new HD700 class instead .......

That could be a nice combo.

Have you thought about the Audio GD Digital Interface if you're using USB input Brooko?

Definitely lifts the DAC section in the NFB12.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,084 of 23,482
Had the HD600 headphones for a couple of months now, just amazing in every way. Still no match for a hifi separates in terms of soundstage and scale but what detail I'm hearing! Often I just sit and listen to the music instead of it being background music.

Do yourselves a favor and listen to this song (lossless), the recording is superb!
Michael Buble - Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,085 of 23,482

Quote:
 Have you thought about the Audio GD Digital Interface if you're using USB input Brooko?

Definitely lifts the DAC section in the NFB12.

I was originally using USB - then I switched to coax - and everything works pretty well.  Thanks for the tip though.

Saw a few comments saying the NFB-12 wasn't that great - especially Mike's review on Headphonia.  Personally don't care - I think it's a great bit of kit
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,086 of 23,482
Do you use your Denons with the Audio-GD amp too? How do they pair up?

Asking because I also have a pair of HD580 and D2000... Looking for Dac/amp combo upgrades, although I did order a E17...

Quote:
Not sure if they tune for it but I love my HD600 with the Audio-GD FUN.  Easily drives them to ridiculously loud levels with ease. 

I've commented before I personally prefer the HD600 over the HD650.  I enjoy having the best of both worlds a neutral open can with incredible details and when I want a more "dynamic" sound I just slap on the Denon AH-D7000s and go to town.

Here's them chilling together.  For me...audio heaven :)

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,087 of 23,482
Man I love these things. I did the foam mod (taking out the foam in front of the drivers) a month ago or so and thought they sounded pretty damn good but I was listening to them sans foam a few days ago and was worried they had lost their magic. They sounded "grainy" to me. So, I popped the foam back in and that familiar smile crept back onto my face. These keep amazing me, every time I listen to them.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,088 of 23,482
Modding cheap headphones to play with them is one thing, but modding high quality headphones that are engineered to perform a certain way just doesn't make sense.

It's like buying a BMW and replacing the shocks with solid steel rods to make it corner flatter.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,089 of 23,482

Quote:
Modding cheap headphones to play with them is one thing, but modding high quality headphones that are engineered to perform a certain way just doesn't make sense.

It's like buying a BMW and replacing the shocks with solid steel rods to make it corner flatter.

Semi-agree to this. In audio world, 'better' is too subjective. What the engineers believed to be of high quality does not equal what you find the most enjoyable.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #1,090 of 23,482

Quote:
Man I love these things. I did the foam mod (taking out the foam in front of the drivers) a month ago or so and thought they sounded pretty damn good but I was listening to them sans foam a few days ago and was worried they had lost their magic. They sounded "grainy" to me. So, I popped the foam back in and that familiar smile crept back onto my face. These keep amazing me, every time I listen to them.

Priceless! Exactly what I felt when I did that

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,091 of 23,482

Quote:
Do you use your Denons with the Audio-GD amp too? How do they pair up?

Asking because I also have a pair of HD580 and D2000... Looking for Dac/amp combo upgrades, although I did order a E17...

Yup that's my setup.  Works like a charm! :)

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,092 of 23,482
Well there a few guys modding LCD-3's and hd-800's that might disagree!  Having heard the results of some foam and TP I was left thinking about it... But havn't made the leap yet... 
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,094 of 23,482
And respected, certainly not trying to change your opinion, actually I'm the same sort.  In headphones and other things I tend to run "stock" as well.

It would be hard to start tearing into the high end stuff!  I was amazed when Purrin had his LCD-3 TP'd in no time after getting them!  It was a treat to get to hear the difference.  I have to admit that I'm darned close to trying the HD-800 mod... but my inner "don't mess with a good thing" keeps me from doing it.  We've got a meet coming up where I'll be able to compare the two directly, so I'll get the chance to decide if I want to make a move.

As far as the HD-600, since this is the 600 thread, I've been tempted to try the foam removal to see what I think, but since it would only be to satisfy curiosity I can't justify messing with them.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,095 of 23,482

Quote:

On the other hand, a lot of people will say the opposite - modding a cheapo front-wheel drive Japanese sedan will never yield as satisfying results as saving up your money to just get an M3. Which of course doesn't mean you have to stop with the stock sport shocks because you can get good parts off of Bilstein...or as is closer to the foam mod on the HD600, removing most of the interior to make it go faster. But yeah I kinda agree with you on that one; you strip the M3 and it might get you a few split seconds off your lap times, but the penalties to comfort and practicality personality won't be worth it. If I had that much money, I'd be racing a stripped RX-7, and driving around in an A3. Or at least an Acura. 

At some point my foam covers disintegrated but the earpads were still kinda good so I just removed the foam. By the time I got around to putting new pads, I tried them without the cover first, then put them in...hell yeah I never removed them again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back