Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,111 of 23,486
I'm deciding between these and beyer dt880s and I was first wondering what a good budget amp/dac would be? I was thinking about the O2 but it doesn't have a dac, anything in the same price range? I know about the fiios but the O2 seems like it will be a better amp.

Also I wanted to make sure the hd600s will be best for my genres I like (in comparison to the beyers), I hear the mids are better on the hd600 so they're good for guitar.
I listen to many genres but I mainly listen to rock, prog metal, blues, instrumental, prog jazz and classical. Some examples of my favorites are are Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, SRV, victor Wooten, Marcus miller, Blues Bros and associated acts.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,112 of 23,486
Where is the motorcycle love? 
cool.gif

Quote:
all this car talk in the thread now...saweet! :)

Anyways some cars take better to modification than others (as with headphones).  Some are worth it...some are not.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,113 of 23,486

Quote:
Just got my HD600's in the mail today from Amazon. So far I am very impressed but right now I am forced to plug them into my Marantz SR5005 modern receiver. I cannot wait to hook them up to my coming Asgard and BiFrost. I am hoping those two items will bring these to a even higher performance.

I didn't find the Asgard to be any better than my receiver. The Marantz is a good unit and I suspect you won't hear any difference. Now if your source has a poor DAC stage, then the BiFrost will probably be a good upgrade.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,114 of 23,486

Quote:
I'm deciding between these and beyer dt880s and I was first wondering what a good budget amp/dac would be? I was thinking about the O2 but it doesn't have a dac, anything in the same price range? I know about the fiios but the O2 seems like it will be a better amp.

Also I wanted to make sure the hd600s will be best for my genres I like (in comparison to the beyers), I hear the mids are better on the hd600 so they're good for guitar.
I listen to many genres but I mainly listen to rock, prog metal, blues, instrumental, prog jazz and classical. Some examples of my favorites are are Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, SRV, victor Wooten, Marcus miller, Blues Bros and associated acts.

Take a read through this thread. Lots of discussion re. the sound of HD 600 and DT880
Companion to SRH840 for studio? K271/240/701, DT250/DT880, MDR-7506/7510, HD-600/650 or SRH-940?

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,115 of 23,486

Quote:
I didn't find the Asgard to be any better than my receiver. The Marantz is a good unit and I suspect you won't hear any difference. Now if your source has a poor DAC stage, then the BiFrost will probably be a good upgrade.

Right now all I am using for the DAC is whatever the Marantz has on board. I have the Ipod hooked up to the usb port on the front of the Marantz. I would assume that the BiFrost is going to do a much better job of whatever DAC is being utilized right now (I sure hope so for $350). As for the Asgard, I purchased it because I plan on using it on my desk along with the BiFrost in my room while I do homework instead of having to sit down in the living room on a chair (where the Marantz is). I also heard great things about the 600's with the Asgard. Maybe our ears will hear it differently!

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #1,117 of 23,486

Quote:
Right now all I am using for the DAC is whatever the Marantz has on board. I have the Ipod hooked up to the usb port on the front of the Marantz. I would assume that the BiFrost is going to do a much better job of whatever DAC is being utilized right now (I sure hope so for $350). As for the Asgard, I purchased it because I plan on using it on my desk along with the BiFrost in my room while I do homework instead of having to sit down in the living room on a chair (where the Marantz is). I also heard great things about the 600's with the Asgard. Maybe our ears will hear it differently!

Well, even if they sound just as good as your Marantz, it will make a fine room setup. Marantz makes good stuff with high quality components.

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #1,118 of 23,486

Quote:
Where is the motorcycle love? 
cool.gif

Nah man, four wheeled vehicles are where it's at.
wink.gif

Quote:

The O2 is an excellent option, I personally find it a better amp than the E9.  For a DAC in that same price range, HRT's Music Streamer II is one of the best options available.  Fiio's new E17 also deserves mentioning as another possible DAC option for ya.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,119 of 23,486
For the person who asked about the HD600 with Dream Theater and the like...yes they're amazing on them.  I bought the HD600 for mostly classical but find myself jamming them a lot more than expected with the metal'ish type music.

Quote:

Nah man, four wheeled vehicles are where it's at.
wink.gif

For my daily driving Audi I agree it's great for the slick weather conditions and the twisties.  I'm a little nervous to actually "launch" most AWD cars because of the stress.  I'm more comfortable with DR/slicks and a proper RWD muscle/sports car.  :)

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #1,120 of 23,486

Quote:
For my daily driving Audi I agree it's great for the slick weather conditions and the twisties.  I'm a little nervous to actually "launch" most AWD cars because of the stress.  I'm more comfortable with DR/slicks and a proper RWD muscle/sports car.  :)

I tell ya, few things are more exhilarating than taking your capable sports car or sports sedan and tackling your favorite track or winding road.  Rowing through the gears, pushing the limits of the tires' grip, listening to the engine sing, there really is nothing like it!
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,121 of 23,486

Quote:

I'm running my HD600 through the Essence STX (soon to be an Asgard) but I listen to prog rock/metal more than anything else really. I'm REALLY liking these for prog. One of the first tracks I listened to with these was Octavarium and I was quite pleased. I can understand the "laid back" label these get but for subtle transitioning in prog, these seem to really handle that well. I've only heard the DT880 32ohm version but to me, they felt slightly "soulless" if that makes any sense. I'm still sorta new to this so I'm not keen on the terminology. However, I've seen more people like the 880s for faster music than the HD600. Take my opinion here with a grain of salt; I've always had odd taste. As far as harder rock goes, I'm not a huge fan of it through these. I'll go for my MS1i. But again, I love what these do for prog. 

As far as the amp goes, no idea here. The Asgard will be my first amp so I lack any usable knowledge there. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,122 of 23,486

Quote:

I tell ya, few things are more exhilarating than taking your capable sports car or sports sedan and tackling your favorite track or winding road.  Rowing through the gears, pushing the limits of the tires' grip, listening to the engine sing, there really is nothing like it!
biggrin.gif

agreed...C6 Z06...road course.  :D

Other fun I've had is my friend's Mitsu Evo X, snow tires, and freshly put down snow with mounds out in BFE.  :D

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,124 of 23,486

Quote:
Thats fun, makes you wish you had a codriver reading off pace notes eh?

that would have been me I was riding shotgun :p  I wouldn't dare do that in a car I didn't own lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back