Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #572 of 23,482
I bought my HD600's a couple weeks ago when Amazon had their "lightning sale. I think they were $270.

I finally got my new amp and will sit down for some serious listening over the next few days. I have to decide if I'll keep the 600's or the 598's. So far I have to admit I'm having a tough time telling them apart.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #573 of 23,482
Dang, what a steal, almost worth buying two at that price.
Quote:
I bought my HD600's a couple weeks ago when Amazon had their "lightning sale. I think they were $270.

I finally got my new amp and will sit down for some serious listening over the next few days. I have to decide if I'll keep the 600's or the 598's. So far I have to admit I'm having a tough time telling them apart.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 24, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #575 of 23,482
Dzone, might be where I end up getting them haha. Yeh they have both the 600&650 but from reading reviews I think the 600 suits my taste a bit more

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #576 of 23,482
I paid $300 even for my Senn HD600's a little over a year ago and have never questioned the purchase. Can honestly say they along with the Schiit Asgard have been the only audio gear purchases that I have not once wondered if I made the right choice. Anything under $300 in my book is completely worth it for the 600's

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #577 of 23,482
Got it! Thanks for all of the input. My year end Bday/Christmas saving plan has started 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #580 of 23,482
Well, I had a breakthrough last night and finally decided to keep my HD600's and return the 598's.

I have to admit that with some material, the 598's sound better and are a little more enjoyable to listen to. This is mostly music that is big and congested (some symphonic stuff and dark, close-miked jazz).

Overall though, I found the 598's a little shrill and bright for my tastes with most of my music, and the bass was lacking in punch/control for me. Every time I would listen to something with the 598's and think it was sounding good, I'd switch to the 600's and hear a breath of fresh air - smoother, more relaxed yet controlled, with more detail and less fizz.

Yup, after trying out the 800, 650, 600, and 598's (as well as Denon 2000 and Audeze LCD-2), I find the 600's are the best match for my listening tastes and music.

I am once again a "one headphone" owner.

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #582 of 23,482

Quote:
Well, I had a breakthrough last night and finally decided to keep my HD600's and return the 598's.

I have to admit that with some material, the 598's sound better and are a little more enjoyable to listen to. This is mostly music that is big and congested (some symphonic stuff and dark, close-miked jazz).

Overall though, I found the 598's a little shrill and bright for my tastes with most of my music, and the bass was lacking in punch/control for me. Every time I would listen to something with the 598's and think it was sounding good, I'd switch to the 600's and hear a breath of fresh air - smoother, more relaxed yet controlled, with more detail and less fizz.

Yup, after trying out the 800, 650, 600, and 598's (as well as Denon 2000 and Audeze LCD-2), I find the 600's are the best match for my listening tastes and music.

I am once again a "one headphone" owner.

You're not the first to prefer getting the HD600 over the HD800. Was it for financial reasons, bang for the buck factor or simply HD600 and nothing else will do?

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #583 of 23,482
Donunus - My search for headphones did lead me to replace my source equipment. I never noticed how bad this system sounded until I started using headphones. I never really cared about how it sounded because it was strictly a second, casual listening system that I rarely used. Once I added headphones to the equation, I started listening to it a lot more and realized I had to upgrade. I bought a Peachtree Nova and Logitech Streambox and am in heaven. I am able to bypass my CD player DAC via coax and that made a big difference too. I even got a nice phono preamp which woke up my LP's.

Xaval - I definitely prefer spending $300 vs. $1500, but I would have spent more to get what I want. I listened to the HD800 on two separate systems for several hours and I just didn't like them. They were too bright (and revealing?) sounding to me.

Other than the HD598, I came closest to buying the Audeze LCD-2 (rev.2). They had a very nice sound but were a little on the "dark side" (a smidge less dark than the HD650 to my ears) and I thought the pads/clamping was uncomfortable. Plus, the more I listened to them, the more I kept wishing they sounded a little more like the 600's. Once I acknowledged that thought, my search was over.

I'm not interested in owning a bunch of different headphones, so I was hoping to find a "Jack-of-all-trades." The HD600 is the solution for me.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #584 of 23,482

Quote:
 They were too bright (and revealing?) sounding to me.

I think revealing is the right word, not bright.  Having both at my disposal, there is a large difference in the way the HD 800 reveals information compared to the way the HD 600 reveals it.  The HD 800 is like, here it is!!!!  The HD 600 is much more subtle with its delivery of the same information.  I find myself saying the same thing lately, but the HD 600 allows me to get into the music more and relax, whereas the HD 800 makes me listen to what's happening.

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #585 of 23,482
Got my HD600s on Friday... have listened to a couple of tracks and it's Ok..
(haven't been blown away yet... running them through Icon HDP amp/Dac)

Maybe I need a longer "burn-in" period (for my ears/mind to get used to them... not the electronic burn-in a lot of people buzz on about!)
It definitely produces a "darker"/warmer sound than my Shures 940s that's for sure.

Or maybe a I need the out on the Icon HDP to another amp?!?
(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back