Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,936 of 23,482
All I did was remove the oval shaped foam that sits between your ears and the driver, and replaced it with much thinner pantyhose (I know I know) but it made a huge difference lowering the bass.  I now prefer the HD-600s over Q701s because they still sound good with every genre but now they can actually wow you a little bit with some songs that didn't sound as good before.

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #1,939 of 23,482
Just looking at the last page reminded me of just how subjective this hobby is. I've used my HD600s at home since I got them. I loved their sound right out of the box since I got them almost a year ago. Earlier this week, just for the hell of it, I used my MS1s which are usually what I take with me when I'm out for a walk to listen to some of what I do on the Senns, and out of my rig, I didn't feel the music like I do with the HD600s. They offer a kind of immersion to me that the Grados don't. Don't get me wrong, I love my MS1s and I'm not going to part with them. But when the Hd600s are available, they're what I go for. I'm sure someone will be along to disagree, but that's simply how I feel. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,940 of 23,482
Oct 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,942 of 23,482
They're actually loud enough out of the iPhone (takes about 90% volume though).  Doesn't quite have the dynamics of amping them with the NFB-12 or LD MKIV - but it's not "unlistenable" (as I see a lot of posts claiming).  Surprising really.

What happened with the arm?

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,943 of 23,482
Quote:
Okay, you found the foam removal of the HD 600 as crap, but adding to the vent area made the bass better, right?
Put an Arts and Crafts pom pom on each side and the bass lost its distraction to me.
It was Tyll from InnerFidelity who convinced me to get the HD 600 over a few others with the graphs he made available in PDF.
There will be a review from him soon with it.
Too soon to say how I feel about these even after a couple of weeks.

The foam removal mod I tried was the one where you take the foam OFF the back of the driver with some tweezers. I HATED HATED this mod. I didn't remove the foam behind your ears.
I don't know why or how a pom pom would work, but whatever
biggrin.gif
The Creatology foam is found at Michaels in all sorts of different colors. It has adhesive backing. Tape would do the same thing perhaps.

Adding the foam seems to reduce the mid and upper bass to near neutral levels. Much more than stock. This perhaps makes them slightly less warm, but they're much more detailed, clearer and less forgiving.
I'm not convinced this is why people claim they have a "veil". Even with such a stupid easy mod, you even get the impression of an improved soundstage.

BTW the foam has to be added to a specific area. The circle inside the grill. No other areas. This is why the HD-580 sounds slightly different than the HD-600.

You know what's interesting that really confuses me.. the HD-600 with NO GRILL sounds clearer than with the grill. WHY on earth is this possible? You'd think it'd be too bassy since the HD-580 grills actually reduce the bass.

In case anyone doesn't know, it's incredibly easy to remove the grills. Just detach the cable and remove the cups from the headhand. Now I don't even need to do that.

I imagine 90% of people will love the HD-600 stock. HD-600 owners who prefer the 598 need to try this mod.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,944 of 23,482
Quote:
They're actually loud enough out of the iPhone (takes about 90% volume though).  Doesn't quite have the dynamics of amping them with the NFB-12 or LD MKIV - but it's not "unlistenable" (as I see a lot of posts claiming).  Surprising really.

What happened with the arm?

I find that very hard to believe, but I don't have any reason to use my phone anyway.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #1,945 of 23,482
re: tdockweiler

Listening to Bonzo's Montreaux on bit-perfect FLAC w/o the grills now.

After going to some stores outdoors, no creatology foam was available and figured 1/2 inch poms poms would fit in the circle.

Well, it fits, but black would be a better color as yellow, green and purple are not the best color choices.

They fit in the circle and stay against the grill.

I think the grill is just to protect the drivers and removal gives it a slightly more open presentation.

The bass is loose again, so it's back to the pom poms (yellow this time).

For $3 I have about 100 to use up.

It just looks weird though. :rolleyes:

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,946 of 23,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know what's interesting that really confuses me.. the HD-600 with NO GRILL sounds clearer than with the grill. WHY on earth is this possible? You'd think it'd be too bassy since the HD-580 grills actually reduce the bass.

Wow I'm listening to them with the Grills removed and it made a much bigger difference than I thought it would.  WHY on earth is this possible? there is absolutely NO material for sound to reflect off of now.  Same reason open back head headphones generally sound clearer than closed back headphones.  Wow I feel like I can start hearing the flaws in electric music with out the grills.

When you have the grills off, try cupping your hands around the back of each headphone and try to hear a difference when your hands are there and when they aren't.  They sound a ton different cupping your hands on the back vs no grills.  The whole no grill thing works on the same principal just on a much smaller scale (there isn't a lot of material for the waves to be reflected off of on the 600 grills compared to your hands) haha

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,947 of 23,482
@yokken and brooko

I appreciate your input. It's funny how my opinion changes on a daily basis. After some thought I decided to go the budget route and go with a completely different set of cans, the AKG K272 on lingling's indirect recommendation because I thought what the hell, if he has a pair of closed back cans then he can take them out into the public without public disturbance issues. I put them into my Amazon cart and have yet to submit my order yet.

My sister gave me a call today and said that she doesn't have the resources and the time to get anything significant for my dad either, so she asked if she could chip in, which really changed the complexion of this decision for me. I think it makes my budget contraints much more.. flexible. My sister had been ignoring my texts for a few days but she finally got back to me haha.

Anyway, I originally came to finding out about the HD600 through devhen and I think that this is what I'm going to ultimately settle on. Right now I'm debating between the Total Airhead, Objective 2, and E17 amplifiers.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,948 of 23,482
Quote:
@yokken and brooko

I appreciate your input. It's funny how my opinion changes on a daily basis. After some thought I decided to go the budget route and go with a completely different set of cans, the AKG K272 on lingling's indirect recommendation because I thought what the hell, if he has a pair of closed back cans then he can take them out into the public without public disturbance issues. I put them into my Amazon cart and have yet to submit my order yet.

My sister gave me a call today and said that she doesn't have the resources and the time to get anything significant for my dad either, so she asked if she could chip in, which really changed the complexion of this decision for me. I think it makes my budget contraints much more.. flexible. My sister had been ignoring my texts for a few days but she finally got back to me haha.

Anyway, I originally came to finding out about the HD600 through devhen and I think that this is what I'm going to ultimately settle on. Right now I'm debating between the Total Airhead, Objective 2, and E17 amplifiers.

Objective 2, hard to beat for the amount they are going for.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #1,950 of 23,482
I cut an opening on the foam so the 'mercedes' part of the plastic is exposed to the ears while keeping the rest of it covered with foam. More comfy that way, and I do recall making my HD580 sound clearer.

Not completely reversible, but the foam is not very expensive. Just put the cut out foam bits back into the hole and you have your unmod HD600 back. Daring people do give it a try :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back