Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #1,966 of 23,433
Quote:

Awesome. That's a great setup, he'll love it. Now ya just need to get yourself one. :)

thanks devin. your referral really worked out for me. he initially rejected my counteroffer twice and brought it down to 320 and wouldnt budge past that. i pmed him saying that i was working within a budget and he arranged a paypal invoice transaction and sold it to me for 299 shipped, so everything worked out just fine :)

i dont have the luxury of the time or the space to enjoy music through open back cans. maybe in a few years. i'll have to be content with my iems for now :)

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,967 of 23,433
SO this is rather random, but does anyone totally disagree with all the people who think the hd600 is really ugly? I think they're quite pretty in an aesthetic sense. That rocky finish...nice, very nice. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,970 of 23,433
They're not impressive-looking, but I really like the cool rocky/marble finish.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,971 of 23,433
Quote:
They're not impressive-looking, but I really like the cool rocky/marble finish.

Quote:
I think these look a lot better than those desinger headphones (beats,...)

Quote:
They look pretty good imo

Yes!!!! I'm not alone. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,972 of 23,433
You serious? I wayy prefer my HD580 w/ the 600 grills :wink:

Now let the fight begin.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,974 of 23,433
Nah I only had a HD580 and bought the grills separately as parts

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,975 of 23,433
Tried removing the grills, it seemed to open up the soundstage and remove a little grain from the highs.  Not sure if others have had similar experiences but if I weren't worried about damaging the drivers I would keep this mod in place.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,976 of 23,433
Quote:
Tried removing the grills, it seemed to open up the soundstage and remove a little grain from the highs.  Not sure if others have had similar experiences but if I weren't worried about damaging the drivers I would keep this mod in place.

I don't know about that, it might truly help, but in the HE-400 case it is extremely sensitive to acoustics and anything that is getting in the way you will hear it. In that case, changing/removing grills will make a difference.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,978 of 23,433
Quote:

Don't ask me how, but this gives you almost the same results, but even better. I couldn't figure out why. When I removed the grill I was surprised how much clearer the sound was.
Then if you REMOVE the foam behind the driver the sound clarity goes out the window. What the heck?

Maybe the area directly behind the round circle part of the back of the driver has some sort of effect on the sound?

I've been bugging people to try this mod, but I think only one person has tried it. Trust me, the results are impressive. In older posts someone measured it.

Go to Michael's craft store and buy adhesive backed Creatology foam. It's the same kind in the Anax. HD-800 mod (I believe).
It's not that sticky and you can make it less sticky with your fingers.

Place a small square like so. Actually much smaller than shown.

It takes 2 seconds. DO NOT remove any foam already in place.

The driver still "breaths" since the sides are still open.

It's possible you can use tape, but I never tried.

Ohh obviously this foam is with the grill installed.
I prefer the HD-580 to the HD-600, but with this mod the HD-600 is far better.
I still am baffled why this sounds even better than with the grill being open. I thought with the grills off the sound would be HORRIBLE. Not so..

Result:

Very slightly less mid and upper bass (I think). Slightly more than neutral bass to my ears. The mids are VERY slightly less thick/full sounding.
This leads to more detail, a clearer sound and even an impression of a larger soundstage. No kidding!
The thing is though that the HD-600 is now not quite as forgiving with bad tracks. It will only be as good as the recording.
Any really harsh tracks are not smoothed over as much. It may be a shock at first.
Basically to me this is the cause of the old Veil. When I added this foam it seems to remove what I dislike about the HD-600.

To determine the difference super fast, use these with a game such as Fallout 3 or Skyrim.

DISCLAIMER: I used this mod in place for a month. No my driver didn't blow up. The HD-600 seems built more like a closed headphone (just an opinion, sorry).

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #1,979 of 23,433
Are the results consistent when you did it on your HD580, tdockweiler?

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,980 of 23,433
Quote:
Are the results consistent when you did it on your HD580, tdockweiler?

Nope, you get different results when you use the HD-580 grills.
If you do it with HD-600 grills on your HD-580, you'll be OK. Same results for me.

I do believe the only reason my HD-580 sounds different (slightly) than the HD-600 is the grills (different amounts of air etc).
I actually prefer the 580 to the 600. With this mod I prefer the HD-600 by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back