Sennheiser Amperiors?
Dec 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #796 of 1,022
$150 more for an anodized, machined-aluminum set of caps is not out of line.  The heck with an off-shore piece of cheap nylon, thread and a shoestring.  My point is that no headphone - with very few exceptions - came with any sort of bag/container/whatever up until about a year ago.  Now everbody's spoiled.  If you can't Do-It-Yourself (what a concept!!!) thenget your mother or girlfriend to sew/knit something for you.  If that's not just as good, then you're really in the market for the bag, not the headphone.

It's sort of like buying a high-performance car and complaining about the mats.  Some perspective is needed about what's important, what's easy to produce, and what's easier to obtain by the customer.
Well, I do know what to say - and was just being "polite" before.  I think the criticism is ridiculous, given the features involved.  See the above.

Again, I didn't say I wouldn't buy them because of the lack of an included case. I simply said it should come with one at that price. Also, it's not like aluminum ear cups ad $80 to the cost of the headphones. If you think that, you clearly have no experience sourcing manufacturing. On top of that a case would add about $2.50, for a decent one.

BTW, nice cars come with exceptional floor mats. Cheap cars come with none.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #798 of 1,022
Quote:
Again, I didn't say I wouldn't buy them because of the lack of an included case. I simply said it should come with one at that price. Also, it's not like aluminum ear cups ad $80 to the cost of the headphones. If you think that, you clearly have no experience sourcing manufacturing. On top of that a case would add about $2.50, for a decent one.
BTW, nice cars come with exceptional floor mats. Cheap cars come with none.

You clearly have no idea of machining costs and to tell me I have no experience sourcing manufacturing is laughable - I'm a MOT.  If the caps were spun, perhaps, but they're not.

Actually, I should've said all cars come with good floor mats these days.  The question is whether you pay extra for them in the sticker price.

Quote:
The expensive hd800 comes with no accessories. The provided box is ridiculous (cartoon, seriously ?). It's the sennheiser way of mocking audiophiles I guess.

Point.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #800 of 1,022
You clearly have no idea of machining costs and to tell me I have no experience sourcing manufacturing is laughable - I'm a MOT.  If the caps were spun, perhaps, but they're not.

Actually, I should've said all cars come with good floor mats these days.  The question is whether you pay extra for them in the sticker price.

Point.

You pay for everything in the sticker price. The actual question is, what should you expect for said price?

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #801 of 1,022
I must also agree at least a bag should be included, it would be a nice added value.

So far I haven't had a problem with the lack of bag / case, but if I ever need a bag to carry them, I'll just use the M50's bag.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #805 of 1,022
Quote:
I'm looking for a portable headphone.
I will only listen to EDM.
Is the Amperior the best choice or maybe the DT1350 or even the Momentum?

listen only to edm? ): hm... I'm not exactly sure how electronic dance music sounds like. Maybe you wana look at the gift guide. If it has a lot of beats/synthesized bass or music, I think the amperior would be the best. DT1350 has clamping issues (comfort)/placement of pads to get the right sound. Momentum is for more classical music I think.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #807 of 1,022
Quote:
I'm looking for a portable headphone.
I will only listen to EDM.
Is the Amperior the best choice or maybe the DT1350 or even the Momentum?

Amperiors are awesome for EDM.

If they have a strong point, that is it. Tight, strong mid-bass, and sparkling highs.

I had the oportunity to audition the Momentums for a little while. They would do well, but not as good as the Amperiors. Treble is too laid back, and might lack some energy for EDM.

Haven't yet heard the DT1350.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #808 of 1,022
Quote:
Amperiors are awesome for EDM.

If they have a strong point, that is it. Tight, strong mid-bass, and sparkling highs.

I had the oportunity to audition the Momentums for a little while. They would do well, but not as good as the Amperiors. Treble is too laid back, and might lack some energy for EDM.

Haven't yet heard the DT1350.

Thanks for your reply,

I think I'm going to buy the Amperior now.
Do you have to burn in the Amperior?
Here in the Netherlands, I can't find any demo stand so I have to buy it and return it if I don't like the sound :frowning2:

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #810 of 1,022
Just ordered the Amperiors.  I had settled on buying these a few months ago, but then the hype around the M-100 swept me in.  I've only had my M-100s for a few days, and they're a decent pair of cans.  I love their build quality, but the earpad on one side doesn't fully enclose my ear and causes soreness.

As for the M-100's sound, it's fine for what it's trying to do.  I listen to a lot of high energy music like EDM and hip-hop, but also jazz, rock and classical.  The M-100s just seem to add a bit of cloudy bass haze over everything, especially on tracks that have sustained bass notes (as opposed to songs with bass that punches in and out).  The lack of clarity and the very polite treble aren't exactly what I was looking for.  I did want a "fun" headphone for portable listening, but I'd also like to hear a bit more detail.  I'm hoping the Amperiors will be the answer.

My DT1350s don't get much head time anymore, as I find them a bit dull and too midrange-centric.  The bass has decent extension, but still seems thin (and I've tried just about every earpad placement possible).  And the treble lacks presence and extension.

I mainly just use my Edition 8s (which I think blow the DT1350s away) and UERMs for portable listening now.  It may just be that I prefer a more V-shaped sound, especially for the short-term listening sessions I have when on-the-go or in the office, when I prefer to listen to uptempo, energetic music.  If I like the Amperiors, and if they are indeed slightly V-shaped, that may be confirmation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back