Sennheiser Amperiors?
Dec 14, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #781 of 1,022
Haha, all these replies because of a bag. Thank you all.
For me, Focker and Roma101 described my point very well. The fact that it is a 349 dollar headphone, aiming for dj's (who work in different clubs on different locations, is a good reason to include a bag or case, right? Well, i'm not a dj, but I practise law, so I don't see myself walking in court with these headphones wearing around my neck. The alternative is to put them in my bag without protection. I don't think that's a good idea since it will be in the same bag with some very heavy books. Even though the Amperior is very well built, I think it will be damaged without any protection.
For me, the solution is this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/headphone-case-pouch-carry-case-for-Sennheiser-HD25-HD25-1-HD25SP-HD25-SP-Headphones/598141048.html . It's a hard shell case and will be fine for me, I guess.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #782 of 1,022
lol @ walking into court with phones around your neck.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #783 of 1,022
Quote:
Sorry if you got a negative impression :/ I don't really mean bad by punk-like. It's more like fresh/cool... man I can't describe it with words. Now that I think back for storage that's short term (trips), it makes sense. Otherwise if you're moving/just going with them somewhere (bus/school/work/club), pouch wouldn't really appeal. Didn't necessarily say that headphones that don't swivel don't need the protection of a bag, it's just that I think that it'd be harder on the phones (pressure on the cans- even though aluminum, it still can bend since it's a metal. Then again I could be wrong depending on the alloy/grade) still if you stored the bag in a place like a backpack w/ txt books. The way that they're designed (from what I've seen so far), they do move back and forth from the joints but don't fold up or swivel. Not saying that they don't need the protection of the bag, it's just the way that they're built. Yessir, we can blame the people that decided to buy beats. If it were a bag, I'd imagine a sack-like pleather bag w/ the adjuster (not sure what it's called). If a case, then sure. It's juts that I'd imagine people going out and back home with these (club/dj/streets). Also imagine DJs wearing phones around their necks for some reason :s

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/569 for people who want a bag 

No negative impression.  Was just poking fun a little fun!  

Regarding all the DJ comments.  These were not really designed FOR DJ's.  The were inspired by DJ's, Made for for streets(or something similar) according to the packaging.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #784 of 1,022
^ not sure if you mentioned it. I noticed your avatar and was wondering if you prefer these or the mometums, assuming you have or heard them both.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #785 of 1,022
Quote:
^ not sure if you mentioned it. I noticed your avatar and was wondering if you prefer these or the mometums, assuming you have or heard them both.

They each have their own benefits.  Momentum are a more full range can, with pretty deep bass and decent mids.  Amperior is more detailed, sometimes harsh. I am a sucker for quality materials though.  The Amperior's mostly cheap plastic construction is a HUGE turnoff at that price point.  No longer have the Amperior on-hand, but still have the Momentum.  If I got a decent deal though, I would probably pick up an Amperior.  They were really comfortable, and fantastic to listen to EDM with!

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #786 of 1,022
Speakerphile: Have you also heard the Beyer 1350s by chance? That is my standard of excellence for a portable right now, so would be curious if you thought the Amperiors or the Momentums were more of a complement to the Beyers? I'd like to get the one that is most different from the Beyers as opposed to having a similar sound signature.

lluuk: Yep, my laptop bad puts a little pressure on whatever I put inside it, so having a case for my phones is a real help. I made the mistake of putting some Koss TBSE-1 headphones in there a couple weeks ago, and when I pulled them out of there while I was at work I was surprised at just how twisted and turned they had become. Certainly the lack of a case isn't a deal breaker on a phone I want to purchase, and I would imagine you feel the same way, but it's a nice plus when they include a case for the portable phones.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #787 of 1,022
thanks for the comparison speakerphile. The peaky highs and sibilance I could live with in order to get the sparkling highs, but the bass was a bit much on the Amperiors. Not enough to make it a deal killer, but I could have done with less (quantity). How are the Momentums in that regard?

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #788 of 1,022
Quote:
thanks for the comparison speakerphile. The peaky highs and sibilance I could live with in order to get the sparkling highs, but the bass was a bit much on the Amperiors. Not enough to make it a deal killer, but I could have done with less (quantity). How are the Momentums in that regard?

Momentum goes lower, Amperior stays tighter.  I liked the bass on the Amperior, especially with EDM.  

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #789 of 1,022
Quote:
Speakerphile: Have you also heard the Beyer 1350s by chance? That is my standard of excellence for a portable right now, so would be curious if you thought the Amperiors or the Momentums were more of a complement to the Beyers? I'd like to get the one that is most different from the Beyers as opposed to having a similar sound signature.

lluuk: Yep, my laptop bad puts a little pressure on whatever I put inside it, so having a case for my phones is a real help. I made the mistake of putting some Koss TBSE-1 headphones in there a couple weeks ago, and when I pulled them out of there while I was at work I was surprised at just how twisted and turned they had become. Certainly the lack of a case isn't a deal breaker on a phone I want to purchase, and I would imagine you feel the same way, but it's a nice plus when they include a case for the portable phones.

I haven't listened to any Beyers, but hope to get the opportunity in the future.  We'll see!

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #792 of 1,022
Quote:
[...] the sound is much more refined and cleaner resulting in better separation and detail, and the bass is a lot tighter and impactful.  Definitely worth the upgrade over hd25-1 ii imo!! 

Lovely, so glad to hear the upgrade price is worth it.  I like the way they look also!

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #793 of 1,022
:3 hmmm... maybe since stereophile said the plastic turned him off, I think the DT 1350's might be right for him.  Although I've read things about it having a tighter clamp (if memory serves correctly) and padding issues or something of the sort (a review on amazon, innerfidelity  and some other places). The vocals are better, but the amperior is better in reproduction of instrument timbres. Was skimming last night, so I might have misread somewhere. I've read that they're pretty much equal (not sure if that'd be the best to describe them) and depend on taste. $50 less than the amperiors with the 25-II being $150 cheaper. But everything is subjective so blegh. Recently got some new phones so I probably won't be out buying any phone anytime soon. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #794 of 1,022
Quote:
Whether they can handle a little abuse or not isn't really the issue. Some people just like to take care of their things. A case is an obvious omission from a $349 portable headphone. They should have at least included a fabric bag. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that.

$150 more for an anodized, machined-aluminum set of caps is not out of line.  The heck with an off-shore piece of cheap nylon, thread and a shoestring.  My point is that no headphone - with very few exceptions - came with any sort of bag/container/whatever up until about a year ago.  Now everbody's spoiled.  If you can't Do-It-Yourself (what a concept!!!) then get your mother or girlfriend to sew/knit something for you.  If that's not just as good, then you're really in the market for the bag, not the headphone.

It's sort of like buying a high-performance car and complaining about the mats.  Some perspective is needed about what's important, what's easy to produce, and what's easier to obtain by the customer.
Quote:
It is simply a criticism. If you don't think it's fair....well, I don't know what to say either.

Well, I do know what to say - and was just being "polite" before.  I think the criticism is ridiculous, given the features involved.  See the above.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #795 of 1,022
Quote:
  I think the criticism is ridiculous, given the features involved.  See the above.

It's only ridiculous if someone says, "I"m not buying that headphone because it doesn't come with a sack". That would be pretty absurd. But the fact that some of us simply feel that said sack would be a nice addition really shouldn't be this offensive, IMO. Hell, the $49 Koss phones I mentioned a few posts ago came with a great little case and it's come in very handy. Doesn't mean I would have passed on the phones if it DIDN'T come with the case, it's just a nice touch. I don't really understand why you have taken such issue with this view? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back