SennGrado Thread
Oct 31, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #77 of 518
  Noo, Joe's sending me progress photos. :)

BWAH I wanted to get some of those from Joe my self but I never did xD, but yea man KEEP THEM COMING, tell joe to send you some like every other Hour man! I'd love to feature a "How It's Built" post on my Blog once I do the review for my Balanced Senn Grado Today 

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #78 of 518
Noo, Joe's sending me progress photos. :)

BWAH I wanted to get some of those from Joe my self but I never did xD, but yea man KEEP THEM COMING, tell joe to send you some like every other Hour man! I'd love to feature a "How It's Built" post on my Blog once I do the review for my Balanced Senn Grado Today 

Doing my best fellas. Sometimes a day full of teaching and rehearsals leave you a little exhausted so the photo log is going to go before the actual assembly.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #80 of 518
  regarding leather grado pads. IMO, just pleathering the inner most 3/4" or so lip of the foam grado pad would change things quite a bit. I may tinker with gotglueing on some smoother/non pourous material to see what happens.

I found the same playing around with a stratKOSSter build., you only need leather going up the inside half an inch. You don't need the whole L-Cush pad covered with leather for good results. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #81 of 518
Doing my best fellas. Sometimes a day full of teaching and rehearsals leave you a little exhausted so the photo log is going to go before the actual assembly.

Its no problem Joe.
:) :) :)

of course not, just forgive me in excited to share ur work with the world!

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #83 of 518
Damn they look good'n'shiney!
Fantastic work to whoever turned the cups :wink:
And Joe obviously builds/assembles them to a high quality!
Great job on the cable @cCasper TFG  :)

Great team you guys have going here 
L3000.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #84 of 518
  Damn they look good'n'shiney!
Fantastic work to whoever turned the cups :wink:
And Joe obviously builds/assembles them to a high quality!
Great job on the cable @cCasper TFG  :)

Great team you guys have going here 
L3000.gif

Yeap and as I mentioned before I was worried about the fit, and it wasn't an issue, I jack the Cups ALL THE way up on the head band and I get teh same optimal comfort and sound on them, as I did with teh Grado Headband, and may I say... the Auvio Headband with @cCasper TFG  ALL BLACK headphone cable does look really nice! 

I'm sorry to say Joe but @cCasper TFG really out did him self on the Cable! Looks stellar, a smidge better than the Senn Grado I got from you a few weeks back

ALSO guys, 7Keys is sending me another SE Senn Grado, which I'm going to compare to the Balanced Senn Grado I have, and my MS1i-W  

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #86 of 518
has anyone found a different front grill with a hole layout more similar to a magnum or grado? or would we have to dislocate the two driver parts and maybe drill out the center blow hole and glue on some stiff mesh for one example

2. I read somewhere a guy messing with the back of the driver and applying felt like a grado/magnum?

anyone already try either of these two mods or disassembling the two driver halves via what looks to be 3 tabs of glue?

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #87 of 518
has anyone found a different front grill with a hole layout more similar to a magnum or grado? or would we have to dislocate the two driver parts and maybe drill out the center blow hole and glue on some stiff mesh for one example

2. I read somewhere a guy messing with the back of the driver and applying felt like a grado/magnum?

anyone already try either of these two mods or disassembling the two driver halves via what looks to be 3 tabs of glue?

Do you mean the grill that faces the ear over the diaphragm? No, haven't heard of that yet. You could probably do your own without destroying/disassembling a Grado driver though.

Is the aim to mimic the Grado drivers' airflow from the diaphragm to the ear?

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #88 of 518
Signing in with some impressions.

My build:

Appearance: I love the Victorian or Steampunk look of these things. Black walnut cups from 7keys and pads are Zonk G-crush. Headband is from a set of Urbanear Plantains. Drivers are flush mounted to the rim of cup, with a thin strip of duct tape around the driver to improve the friction fit. Confession: my son laughed when I wore them for the first time. 

Cost: With disciplined shopping and patience, these probably cost me $160 to assemble.

Comfort: Despite the large ear pads and wooden cups, these things are incredibly light. They are also very comfortable. A note for those with more prominent ears: Even with  large size G-Crush pads, the plastic on the face of the driver may touch your ears. 

Isolation: Non-existent. With the open ended cups and open-celled foam of the earpads, these are about as open as a headphone can be. 

Soundstage: The lack of isolation is offset by a wide soundstage and very good instrument separation.

Sound: You'd never guess that these SennGrados use drivers from low-cost Sennheiser portables. The veil is gone.

Vocals have a nice presence. Highs aren't overbaked or tiresome. The bottom end is good, although there is a bit of mid-bass hump, which I'd categorize as fun. In general, these work really well for rock.

A note about DIY variability: YMMV

Amps: I listened to these with devices ranging from a iPod nano to a Project Polaris amp. They all sounded fine and sufficiently loud, with the usual caveats that some amps work better than others.

Overall: Up until the SennGrados, I didn't have a set of phones that were easily amped and worked well with rock, so these babies are keepers.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #89 of 518
Signing in with some impressions.

My build:

Appearance: I love the Victorian or Steampunk look of these things. Black walnut cups from 7keys and pads are Zonk G-crush. Headband is from a set of Urbanear Plantains. Drivers are flush mounted to the rim of cup, with a thin strip of duct tape around the driver to improve the friction fit. Confession: my son laughed when I wore them for the first time. 

Cost: With disciplined shopping and patience, these probably cost me $160 to assemble.

Comfort: Despite the large ear pads and wooden cups, these things are incredibly light. They are also very comfortable. A note for those with more prominent ears: Even with  large size G-Crush pads, the plastic on the face of the driver may touch your ears. 

Isolation: Non-existent. With the open ended cups and open-celled foam of the earpads, these are about as open as a headphone can be. 

Soundstage: The lack of isolation is offset by a wide soundstage and very good instrument separation.

Sound: You'd never guess that these SennGrados use drivers from low-cost Sennheiser portables. The veil is gone.

Vocals have a nice presence. Highs aren't overbaked or tiresome. The bottom end is good, although there is a bit of mid-bass hump, which I'd categorize as fun. In general, these work really well for rock.

A note about DIY variability: YMMV

Amps: I listened to these with devices ranging from a iPod nano to a Project Polaris amp. They all sounded fine and sufficiently loud, with the usual caveats that some amps work better than others.

Overall: Up until the SennGrados, I didn't have a set of phones that were easily amped and worked well with rock, so these babies are keepers.

Very nicely done :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back