Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 10, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,786 of 12,405
I know that Mike Moffat suggests leaving the MB DACs powered on w/o music playing to keep them "heated up."  I have followed that practice for the last 2-months with my GMB.  The SQ of my GMB is always consistent.  I get nervous when a storm comes through and I have to power-down the GMB.  

You can find Mike's recos on his thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784471/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,787 of 12,405
At 340 hours (continuous) and counting: If you're on Tidal with Amarra as its interface, select just about any North Texas Wind Symphony offering and you'll see what the yggy is all about. NOTE: Mine is a speaker only system with the yggy feeding the Red Wine Sig. 70 monoblocks into VMPS RM-40s. 

My 15 day trial period is up tomorrow and it ain't going anywhere.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #1,788 of 12,405
Placed my Yggy order after holding off for many months.  I also ordered a Black Dragon USB cable for it from Moon Audio.  I know Schiit mentions, many times over, that fancy audiophile cables are not recommended so hopefully that wasn't a mistake.  I couldn't help myself.  I also broke their recommendation of staying under 2m as this is a 3m cable.  I really have no choice on this one, the room is cramped and the DAC is going to end up sitting about 9 feet away from the PC with no real way to get away from that unless I want to put it on the carpet and step over it everyday.  Hopefully I don't have any goofy USB issues. 

I realized after I had already bought everything that I could have gotten a Wyrd and done two shorter USB cable runs.  Hopefully I won't regret having overlooked the option.

Looking forward to finally hearing what everybody has been talking about the past year.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #1,789 of 12,405
For those who have recently purchased Yggy... Let me share with you my own experience after having one in my system for 6 months: for the first couple of weeks it sounded great. After the initial break in period, it is just unreal what this device is capable of. Especially when using a standard red book CD. From top to bottom and left to right the soundstage is fantastic. Acoustic instruments and vocals are the best I've experienced in my 30 years of this hobby. I could not be happier and I think your experience may be similar to mine.. Al

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,790 of 12,405
For those who have recently purchased Yggy... Let me share with you my own experience after having one in my system for 6 months: for the first couple of weeks it sounded great. After the initial break in period, it is just unreal what this device is capable of. Especially when using a standard red book CD. From top to bottom and left to right the soundstage is fantastic. Acoustic instruments and vocals are the best I've experienced in my 30 years of this hobby. I could not be happier and I think your experience may be similar to mine.. Al

That's an even better message to share with those who are tettering on fence about getting a Yggy, which for many would be a large enough expenditure to require lots of thought. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,791 of 12,405
Thanks! I also wanted to mention that I do leave Yggy on all of the time. That said, if I am out of town for a week I will turn it off. And when I do turn the device back on it only seems to require a few hours to get the soundstage back in tip top shape. In my system I also preferred the balanced output connection of the Yggy compared to RCA option. Everything just seemed to be more in focus. I have also purchased and used both the new IFI micro 3.0 micro power supply and the Regen USB power supply devices. Either of these devices are great options if you want to send the best USB signal possible to Yggy. This sonic improvements are easy to hear, especially on well recorded music. Lastly I also found that you can further refine and tune your system by selecting the right USB cable. For my system the AQVOX USB cable tuned out to be a great choice. That said, I am sure there are other great options to choose from.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,792 of 12,405

That's an even better message to share with those who are tettering on fence about getting a Yggy, which for many would be a large enough expenditure to require lots of thought. Thanks for sharing.

Ags2 just knocked me off my teeter and I ordered my Yggy!!

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,794 of 12,405
  I know that Mike Moffat suggests leaving the MB DACs powered on w/o music playing to keep them "heated up."  I have followed that practice for the last 2-months with my GMB.  The SQ of my GMB is always consistent.  I get nervous when a storm comes through and I have to power-down the GMB.  

You can find Mike's recos on his thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784471/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter

Enjoy your music!
RCB

I believe it has something to do with the military-grade DAC chips as well as all the other components. They require an optimal temperature to reach ideal operations and same with older multi-bit chips too this is the case. Warm-up on these DACs is not pseudoscience, there is a reason for it.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #1,795 of 12,405

I believe it has something to do with the military-grade DAC chips as well as all the other components. They require an optimal temperature to reach ideal operations and same with older multi-bit chips too this is the case. Warm-up on these DACs is not pseudoscience, there is a reason for it.

Nobody is questioning that it needs to be warm to perform its best. But the idea that it needs to be on for more than a few DAYS to sound its best is very suspicious. There's no way the DAC chip temperature is "equalizing" for that long.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,796 of 12,405
So what is the optimal internal temperature of this DAC? And what is the optimal ambient temperature?

Future upgrades could be:
1. A preheating unit (faster heating to the optimal internal temperature)
2. A temperature control unit (this unit will assure that the internal temperature will be always optimal regardless of ambient temperatures).

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,797 of 12,405
Nobody is questioning that it needs to be warm to perform its best. But the idea that it needs to be on for more than a few DAYS to sound its best is very suspicious. There's no way the DAC chip temperature is "equalizing" for that long.

I think it's interesting to discuss the power up requirement of the Multibit chips, however I fail to see how you came to your conclusion. Why is there no way that is what is happening? The chips have an accuracy rating of 1 part per million. This is a fairly stringent rating... To visualize 1 ppm here are some examples: 1 inch in 16 miles; one second in 11.5 days... 1 minute in a 2 year period.

This requirement has been thoroughly discussed here and in some other DAC discussion threads. They aren't audio chips, they were designed for medical imaging, where accuracy is paramount. There is no reason to unplug the Yggdrasil, or an MRI machine, where the chips are normally found. Doing so causes the chips to become less accurate, which results in less resolving sound, or a less accurate MRI. Whether you believe this is due to the chips temperature or not, it simply happens.

There are also independent measurements from near initial power up to after a couple of days, where there are noticeable improvements. Have you had a chance to see these? I believe Atomicbob posted them. They basically confirm what we hear is actually measureable.

Also, the DAC consumes barely any power when it isn't being used. I know this is a separate issue, but people need to realize we are billed in kW hours, which is 1000W being consumed for an hour; typically well below $.30/kWhr

Here's the ADC5791 data sheet, which shows how temperature affects the accuracy.
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD5791.pdf

Edit: Gah, why would the DAC need a heater? You just leave it on, it's as simple as that. No reason to complicate it.

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #1,798 of 12,405
Mostly I've been simply enjoying my Yggy, but also I've split time between its USB input via iMac and coax through an Audiophilleo 2 with PurePower. I believe I'm preferring the latter so far. It seems a little smoother, warmer, more organic. Maybe a little more bass impact too. The difference is not huge, but I do prefer the AP2. Is it worth $1K? My inclination would be to say "not really", but then again, what other DACs are going to compete in the Yggy + $1K strata?

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,799 of 12,405
Not everybody would read hundreds of posts if you just started here, but periodically the same topics get re-hashed, like many of the recent posts. So it's deja vu for me and likely for many.
  1. Does it really need to be on for days to break in? Deja vu .... Yes.
  2. Does it need music playing to break in? Deja vu ... No.
  3. It sounds suspicious that it needs days to reach optimal temps. Deja vu .... Yes it sounds strange but it may have little to do with temps and regardless it still  takes days to break in.
  4. If it takes hours/days to get back to optimal temps and/or sound after being turned off, maybe we need a heater, and/or a UPS, and/or etc. Deja Vu ....Or, just leave it on.
Next will be, "How about changing the fuse?", etc. .... Deja vu.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back