Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 12, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #1,816 of 12,397
  When you speak of USB-powered DAC, I had in my mind a Schiit Fulla priced at $79 - not this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729686/ultrafi-dac-41-r2-r-ladder-dac-priced-dropped

I would be interested, if I had not just finished chasing my last non-burrito DAC. Looks interesting nonetheless...

It's not the dac-41. Ultra-fi came out with a newer dac- it is just a do it yourself xmos usb (latest model) receiver chip to a PCM5102A chip to rca outs.  Simple as that.  No power source and it weighs almost nothing.  About 1/20th the size of the yggy.  I think it could be built for aroiunf $100 in parts for someone who knows how to do it.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,817 of 12,397
I haven't heard the LCD's through the Master 9 myself, but the difference I've heard comparing both the MB Gungnir and Yggdrasil to other R-2R implementations is overall resolution. I find the MB DACs can resolve several layers more micro details than others I've heard.

With respect to the TDA1543, if that is what the ultra-fi is using, I would really be surprised if the Yggdrasil isn't sounding noticeably more detailed, without coming across as analytical.

Owning the LCD-3f's myself, these aren't my headphones of choice, yet I still think the differences should translate through. You already have it listed for sale, so might as well chalk our experiences up as hype. Makes sense to me.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #1,818 of 12,397
Feb 12, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,820 of 12,397
It's not forbidden to have a different oppinion, is it? I think it's a good thing that people who didn't fall in love with Yggy post here too. Which doesn't mean that you are hyping to me.
Different people, different ears,different taste of music - right?

Rock on!

I agree, but I also, perhaps incorrectly, assume that people are posting with intent to question. It is tremendously difficult to read anything online and to fully understand what a person's intent is, such as is simpler to hear and perceive in a face-to-face conversation.

So I assumed a question, in my mind, and went towards setup: source or software, cabling or power, etc. In this case, there was no question - and that's definitely cool! Another possible intent is to advertise one's own wares. I've been in many threads where a person has suggested an alternative. Sometimes cool - sometimes unwelcome.

Difference of opinion is certainly cool - definitely welcome! But people generally speak (or post) with purpose. I saw no purpose that I could interpret due to the online (and not face-to-face) nature of the conversation, so I asked 
redface.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,822 of 12,397
After all I have read about the Yggy I would love to be all over this thing. Too bad that it just kinda seems overkill to pay 2'300$ for a DAC when you are not having the needed funds :)

Edit: Wastly rich has been exaggerated as has been correctly pointed out to me.

Edit 2: Not trying to say that you do not get a huge amount of awesome for that money! Guess I was just a little frustrated :)

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,823 of 12,397
I recently added a Wyrd to my Modi 2 Uber. Chain = PC on-board USB -> no-name OEM USB cable (6 feet) -> Wyrd -> DH Labs Silver Sonic USB (1.5 feet) -> Modi 2 Uber.

I immediately noticed a significant reduction in the digital-like glare that was especially noticeable when lots of highs were coming in. What kind of effect does the Wyrd have with the Yggdrasil?

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,824 of 12,397
After all I have read about the Yggy I would love to be all over this thing. Too bad that it just kinda seems overkill to pay 2'300$ for a DAC when you are not having the needed funds :)

Edit: Wastly rich has been exaggerated as has been correctly pointed out to me.

Edit 2: Not trying to say that you do not get a huge amount of awesome for that money! Guess I was just a little frustrated :)

Not overkill to me. For some reason I want the best sound I can afford. Music is a big part of my life so it is worth it. I also had the gungnir mb and it is very , very good for 1 k less. That may be a great option for people that don't want to spend 2300 for a dac.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,826 of 12,397
  More space around instruments and voices, more separation with darker background. If I were to summarize, everything has become more clean.

Interesting, so did you buy cables for each of the Rag/Yggy ? Or just for the Yggy ?

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #1,829 of 12,397
Hi guys, some questions:

1. I'm not worried about the bits, just curious. If the Yggdrasil uses one DAC chip per phase per channel how does it end up being a 21 bit DAC instead of 20 bit?

2. If the signal is upsampled inside and the solution respects the original samples, there is no point in upsampling ripped CDs to a multiple of 44.1 kHz on something like Audirvana before sending to the DAC, right?

3. How are 24 bit tracks converted to 20 bit, just rescaled? 

Cheers,

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #1,830 of 12,397
If you want to have some fun, plug in a Wireworld Eclipse 7 power cord into either Yggy or Gungnir. You might be surprised...

Agreed, absolutely try a different PC with the Yggy.  Improvements can be very much in-line with that of replacing the stock fuse with something better (perhaps even a little better depending on the cable used).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back