Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 10, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,771 of 12,406
interesting.

At nearing the 300 hr burning mark, I realised that the bass tightened up considerably suddenly and it got slightly warmish. 

Was that the experience that the rest got ?

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #1,772 of 12,406
  interesting.

At nearing the 300 hr burning mark, I realised that the bass tightened up considerably suddenly and it got slightly warmish. 

There have been a few mentionable experiences in audio upgrades. One was hearing a lack of distortion in a subwoofer, for the first time. To many people, it's like "Where did  the bass go?" But once you realize that much of that "bass" was just noise and getting in the way of the true recorded bass sound, you admire the new sound and do not want to go back.

The Yggdrasil, once warmed up became the first experience of just listening to the instruments or voices in the music. Up to that point, I heard music, had to think about it - where on the stage was that instrument? What kind of instrument was it? How was the musician holding it in their hands.

Then Yggdrasil warmed up - and, well, it's there! No questions to be asked. It is as obvious as the person standing next to you - the thing, no matter what it was in the music, simply appeared. Out of thin air - nothing, then suddenly it's there. Plain. Simple. There! Once the Yggdrasil is warmed up and setup in a good acoustic space, YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE. The music just appears.

Sorry - I don't call it warmish or tight - just REAL.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,773 of 12,406
  There have been a few mentionable experiences in audio upgrades. One was hearing a lack of distortion in a subwoofer, for the first time. To many people, it's like "Where did  the bass go?" But once you realize that much of that "bass" was just noise and getting in the way of the true recorded bass sound, you admire the new sound and do not want to go back.

The Yggdrasil, once warmed up became the first experience of just listening to the instruments or voices in the music. Up to that point, I heard music, had to think about it - where on the stage was that instrument? What kind of instrument was it? How was the musician holding it in their hands.

Then Yggdrasil warmed up - and, well, it's there! No questions to be asked. It is as obvious as the person standing next to you - the thing, no matter what it was in the music, simply appeared. Out of thin air - nothing, then suddenly it's there. Plain. Simple. There! Once the Yggdrasil is warmed up and setup in a good acoustic space, YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE. The music just appears.

Sorry - I don't call it warmish or tight - just REAL.

agree about the realness of the music part, that is my experience too. 

I'm just curious because the bass became quite prominent, it mean it was there all this while but it just became tighter, stronger and more prominent. 

so, im just curious is that the trajectory for the burn in of this baby :) 

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,774 of 12,406

agree about the realness of the music part, that is my experience too. 

I'm just curious because the bass became quite prominent, it mean it was there all this while but it just became tighter, stronger and more prominent. 

so, im just curious is that the trajectory for the burn in of this baby :) 

It probably depends on the system. I use mine in a speaker system, where the bass and treble are pretty extended. Through the treble for me gets the most "testy" and out of control on a bad DAC and AMP. My guess is the entire spectrum just gets much more controlled as the warm-up kicks in.

Burn baby. Burn 
biggrin.gif

And then, enjoy the music!

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #1,775 of 12,406
  It probably depends on the system. I use mine in a speaker system, where the bass and treble are pretty extended. Through the treble for me gets the most "testy" and out of control on a bad DAC and AMP. My guess is the entire spectrum just gets much more controlled as the warm-up kicks in.

Burn baby. Burn 
biggrin.gif

And then, enjoy the music!

haha. 

is 300 hours the time it takes ? or wayyyy longer for the baking to at least stabilise ? 

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,776 of 12,406

haha. 

is 300 hours the time it takes ? or wayyyy longer for the baking to at least stabilise ? 

I have read ridiculously long hours. I had mine off during a period of travel and kind of noticed biggest differences after 50 hours (or roughly two days) and then 160 hours (or roughly an entire week). But my Yggy had been on continuously for 2-3 months before that powered off period.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,778 of 12,406
I read it was somewhere around 7300 hours warm up for best results.

It is 304 days nonstop. Where does this number come from? Theory or listening experience? What was the release date of first Yggys?

So older Yggys should have higher value than new ones then. And the best is the oldest (Sn 0001) :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,779 of 12,406

It is 304 days nonstop. Where does this number come from? Theory or listening experience? What was the release date of first Yggys?

This thread was started on May 12.
That would have required a Yggy warmup on April 12 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #1,781 of 12,406
I read it was somewhere around 7300 hours warm up for best results.

Gosh. Seriously ? 

Interesting. 

I wonder what kinds of innards this beast has, since I have the Hugo and I think it never really demanded this kind of attention :p 

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,782 of 12,406
I really don't understand how "thermal stabilization" takes more than a day, without delving way into audiophile-dreaming territory. This is a relatively small device. And if it were so incredibly temperature sensitive, then we'd get variable sonic results depending on the ambient temperature of the room, its placement relative to shelving/gear, etc. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,783 of 12,406
  interesting.

Did you play music through your Yiggy for 300 hours or just leave it on?

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,784 of 12,406
Feb 10, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #1,785 of 12,406
I really don't understand how "thermal stabilization" takes more than a day, without delving way into audiophile-dreaming territory. This is a relatively small device. And if it were so incredibly temperature sensitive, then we'd get variable sonic results depending on the ambient temperature of the room, its placement relative to shelving/gear, etc. 

same sentiments haha.

i'd love for it to reach an optimum sound quality and signature and then i can enjoy it in peace without going through an emotional roller coaster every other day i hear it :p

i'm quite sure that the bass really strengthed up suddenly becos im quite sensitive to bass and once it gets too powerful i get a slight discomfort, which was why i couldn't handle Fitear IEMs. I thought that the bass signature was too strong!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back