Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #7,291 of 13,350

I would just use a DAC+Amp, without any additional gimmicks and let the PS4 do the surround processing for digital stereo output.

Correct me if I am wrong, but without the DSS processor, I am only going to be able to attain stereo output (Only L + R).  

Surround sound is important to me.  I need to be able to hear directional cues (where are those footsteps coming from? Where were those bullets coming from?) in order to play better.

If I forgo the DSS (which I already purchased) and just stick with a DAC + AMP (either the FIIO E17 or Schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost combo) then I would be missing out on the surround sound?

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #7,292 of 13,350
  Correct me if I am wrong, but without the DSS processor, I am only going to be able to attain stereo output (Only L + R).  

I think PS4 would do a better job emulating surround with its stereo output.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #7,293 of 13,350

I think PS4 would do a better job emulating surround with its stereo output.

This is definitely contrary to what I have heard on these forums. People have told me that attaining surround on headphones without a DSS or a mixamp is impossible on a PS4.  If anyone else knows the answer here I would like to hear their thoughts as well. 

Nonetheless, I digress.  For all the Schiit guys... I am wondering if purchasing a Bifrost + Asgard 2 would be worth it for my AKG K712 pro's. Right now I am using a FIIO E17 which is okay I guess but I wonder if I can do better.  If I could use the Bifrost + Asgard 2 with my PS4 that would be an added bonus.  

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #7,294 of 13,350
  This is definitely contrary to what I have heard on these forums. People have told me that attaining surround on headphones without a DSS or a mixamp is impossible on a PS4.  If anyone else knows the answer here I would like to hear their thoughts as well. 

If this thing actually converts something like Dolby Digital 7.1 to Stereo 2.0 (ProLogic) - then it could make sense.
If it's just some stereo to surround emulation - then no, positional cues wouldn't appear from nowhere...

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #7,295 of 13,350
I was under the impression that the DSS converts your stereo 2.0 sound into Dolby Digital surround sound (5.1 or 7.1) for your headphones. I am SOO confused now. Is there anyone out there with specific knowledge (first hand experience) of the DSS and a headphone amp/dac on a gaming console?  I have been struggling to find the answers I need.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #7,296 of 13,350
  I was under the impression that the DSS converts your stereo 2.0 sound into Dolby Digital surround sound (5.1 or 7.1) for your headphones.

Reading the website, it seems that it converts a bistream digital input (DD 5.1/7.1) from a console to Dolby ProLogic (Stereo 2.0 surround simulation DSP via proprietary HRTF), decodes it to PCM and outputs analog stereo signal to the headphones. Anyway, I don't see any place for either Bifrost or Asgard 2 here.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #7,297 of 13,350

Reading the website, it seems that it converts a bistream digital output (DD 5.1/7.1) to Dolby ProLogic (Stereo 2.0 surround simulation DSP through a Dolby proprietary HRTF), decodes it to PCM and outputs analog stereo signal to the headphones. Anyway, I don't see any place for either Bifrost or Asgard 2 here.

Thanks for the explanation. But if there is a "place" for my FIIO E17 in this setup (with the DSS + headphones, using a PS4), then I would have to assume it would be possible to run this same setup with a Bifrost and Asgard 2 instead of the FIIO E17.  My assumption could be wrong however

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7,298 of 13,350
  Thanks for the explanation. But if there is a "place" for my FIIO E17 in this setup (with the DSS + headphones, using a PS4), then I would have to assume it would be possible to run this same setup with a Bifrost and Asgard 2 instead of the FIIO E17.  My assumption could be wrong however

Bifrost only accepts PCM input, period. As does FIIO. So using either of them as DAC together with DSS is out of question.
Then you could use FIIO or Asgard 2 for amplifying only, but DSS doesn't have any proper line outputs to hook the amps to.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #7,299 of 13,350
I was under the impression that the DSS converts your stereo 2.0 sound into Dolby Digital surround sound (5.1 or 7.1) for your headphones....
I don't have experience with this, and I can tell you that it's wrong. If you're starting with 2 channels, then you're already past the point at which surround sound processing would help you.

What you really want is for 4+ channels to be generated at a source so you have the information, and then you mix that together so it works for two speakers mounted to your ears instead of 4+ speakers mounted at a distance from you.

You want nothing but stereo on the output (L+R) because you only have the two transducers in your headphones, but the mixing/sound processing will give those two channels a 3D effect.

As I said, I don't have experience with this. You might want to check out Mad Lust Envy's guide. The guys in that thread seem to know how these bits work (certainly better than I do). What I can tell you is that all a Bifrost does is convert two digital channels into two analog ones, and what you want/need is the sound processing to convert what would have been 5.1/7.1 for speakers into something stereo for headphones.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #7,300 of 13,350
^^^ What he said.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #7,301 of 13,350
I don't have experience with this, and I can tell you that it's wrong. If you're starting with 2 channels, then you're already past the point at which surround sound processing would help you.

What you really want is for 4+ channels to be generated at a source so you have the information, and then you mix that together so it works for two speakers mounted to your ears instead of 4+ speakers mounted at a distance from you.

You want nothing but stereo on the output (L+R) because you only have the two transducers in your headphones, but the mixing/sound processing will give those two channels a 3D effect.

As I said, I don't have experience with this. You might want to check out Mad Lust Envy's guide. The guys in that thread seem to know how these bits work (certainly better than I do). What I can tell you is that all a Bifrost does is convert two digital channels into two analog ones, and what you want/need is the sound processing to convert what would have been 5.1/7.1 for speakers into something stereo for headphones.

Thanks your post makes sense.  I have posted many times in that thread you mentioned but am unable to find answers.  Are people just using a DSS and no DAC/AMP, or are they just using a DAC/AMP and no DSS?  Very confusing.

One guy just said: your best setup will be a DSS + a DAC/AMP (in my case the E17) + the phones + your ps4.  This is the exact stuff that I have but I have found so many conflicting opinions on this that I am about to pull my hair out lol.  One guy says: Just use your dac/amp and forget the DSS, the PS4 will produce better simulated surround than the DSS anyways. Next guy says sorry that's impossible to get surround and positional cues WITHOUT a DSS as you are just getting L+R.  Other guy says: Use both.  Other guy says: Just use the DSS, it acts as a DAC and amp as well.

Lord have mercy

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #7,302 of 13,350
Oct 30, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #7,305 of 13,350
There is a fourth option, though, that will enable you to use the excellent Schiit gear, and the DSS, to get top flight sound, including surround. I'll try to explain this quickly before my battery di

This would absolutely be music to my ears

That's just cruel.  Waiting to see if Bill comes back or m50 has just been owned :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back