Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #7,321 of 13,350
Regardless if the stereo sound is being converted into dolby digital surround sound 5.1/7.1, your headphones only have two channels to output. Any surround sound effects will simply a software simulation. DSP processing takes surround information and creates a new audio signal attempting to reproduce positional cues with two drivers. This process can degrade sound quality. Seems more like a gimmick. A pair of headphones with decent sound stage will be sufficient for positional cues in competitive FPS gaming needs.

If you are using your headphones for primarily for gaming & are more interested in "surround sound experience," just get something like the Astro Mixamp or Turtlebeach Earforce DSS or Creative Recon3D or X-Fi. End of story. No need for anything else.

A DAC ontop of a DSS sound processor is unnecessary as the DSS component already processes the sound. Every sound processing component inherently introduces a bit of their own coloration, so increasing the amount of sound processing components in your chain will not result in better sound quality. No need to double DAC or DAC+DSS sound processor.

You will not need an amplifier unless your headphones have an impedance greater than 100 ohms. An amplifier will have no impact on the sound quality as its function is to simply amplify the existing signal.

Basically, you shouldn't buy anything else no matter what anyone here tells you if your goal is surround sound. You can get by with either stereo sound on headphones with a good sound stage or good sound stage headphones + DSS sound processor. Amplifier if your headphone's have a high impedance.

I can attest to this as well given my own experience in the competitive FPSs.  I will say that regardless of your headphone impedance an amp will help bring out more ambient sounds in your game (that's if the game has good sound).  An amp isn't necessary though and a good set of cans will make the most difference in detail retrieval.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #7,322 of 13,350
That was a really informative post thank you. 

So I am good with what I got.  My AKG K712 pros have a "rated impedence" of 65 ohms so I am good to use it without an amp for gaming.  It definitely needs a good amp for listening to music though.  I've got the FIIO E17 and I am not that happy with it so I am looking to upgrade to perhaps a desktop setup or a better portable like the cd5 or the island (for listening purposes).  If you guys have any info on that I would like to hear that as well

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #7,324 of 13,350
[quote name="Baldr" url="/t/601151/

They usually featured “proprietary ingredients” such as WD-40 or badger spooge to transform the listening experience.)
[/quote]

Mike, they may have been grifters and snake oil salesman, but collecting Badger sponge is definitely a manly, man's, Manly man's job :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #7,325 of 13,350

They usually featured “proprietary ingredients” such as WD-40 or badger spooge to transform the listening experience.)

Mike, they may have been grifters and snake oil salesman, but collecting Badger sponge is definitely a manly, man's, Manly man's job :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:![/quote]

And you da man! :)

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #7,327 of 13,350
Mike, they may have been grifters and snake oil salesman, but collecting Badger sponge is definitely a manly, man's, Manly man's job :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!

And you da man!
smily_headphones1.gif
[/quote]

we'll go to any length !

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #7,328 of 13,350
Ok first off I think I'm going to hold off on the Asgard2...A Magni should be able to power anything I'm going to throw at it in the next few years...plus it will be a good work setup when I want to upgrade again. Here is the real questions though what I'm really looking at is the Vali. This thing has really intrigued me and everyone that hears it seems to love it. But I have some questions

First will it pair with my DT770 80s? These have big bass and Ive been told that with a tube amp it may get a bit bloated and out of control. That leads to my next question

How is the bass on the Vali? Extension, amount etc. 

Third and finally if I did get the Vali is the Magni enough of a difference that it would be worth picking up as well? 

Im wondering at this point that maybe the next logical step up from the Magni isnt the Asgard but actually the Lyr.....

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #7,329 of 13,350

Mike, they may have been grifters and snake oil salesman, but collecting Badger sponge is definitely a manly, man's, Manly man's job :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:![/quote]

You have fun with that, Mike Rowe.  Always nice when the "celebrities" drop by 
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #7,331 of 13,350
Turntable problem solved.  Wish I could have used the Mani, and I definitely encourage people to buy and try, as it's great for its price.  All signs point to the wall wart, since the new one is interference-free.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #7,332 of 13,350
  Turntable problem solved.  Wish I could have used the Mani, and I definitely encourage people to buy and try, as it's great for its price.  All signs point to the wall wart, since the new one is interference-free.

Dang, I missed all the excitement, If you returned the Mani which new wall wart are you referring to?

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #7,333 of 13,350

"Vinyl Nerds" , "Noisy connections" , "Audio Grifters" , "Grounding" , phew ! 

Well it's quite a contraversy you're bringing back from the Grave , all these things we oldsters coped with over the years of Vinyl ( may it rest in Peace and Garage Sale $1.00 ea. Bins ) .   
  It kinda is your fault Mr.Baldr , you lads had to go and produce a cheap RIAA Amp box , join the Vinyl resurgence , stand with Art Dudley at the Alter of True Believers , get further Press coverage for making a REALLY nice Stocking Stuffer to make Roy Hall's Starter Set Turntable into a working "High-End" Audiophile hook-up .  
  Except nowadays the believers can reach you lads for advice ( you could never get into touch will Bill Johnson at ARC or most of the other Electronic Designers ) .  I suppose you're trying to head them off with the above posting but I don't think it's anywhere enough hand holding , there is way more grief coming your way if you persist in this Vinyl venture of yours .  But you know this , don't you ? , you made vinyl stuff so you know all the way around this issue , good luck but I think you've opened a can of worms .  Calling your customers : "Vinyl Nerds" isn't a good start . 
  "Noisy Connections" ,   Now there's one , for sure !!   I took a number of head shell leads and RCA phono interconnects back to my lab and put them on my Thermocouple Potentiometer , oh-my , those things give off voltage , from dissimular metal contacting , very small potentials , certainly but audible .   The techs still have Cramolin which works , not perfect but it does work , kinda .  Better than nothing .  At the very low voltages of Moving Coil Phono Carts ( the Ortofon in particular ) contact voltage is audible , the good news is that Tubes do a good job of masking contact noise with their own noise and graininess , not a perfect world , what else can be done ?  
  What else can be done opens the door to the "Audio Grifters" , what else you ask ? , plenty :  Tip-toes , Sorbothane , interconnects with directional arrows on them ( one way only please ) , vacuum platters , litz wires , gold plating , Alum. head shell screws ( 3 in a triangular mounting ) , Variable voltage Power transformers , star grounding , better pre-amps ( of course , this is what Stereophile helps with ) , and on and on and on , all the way in time till digital comes along and ends the madness !  Which takes us to today .  
  Now we have our iMac being the Turntable ( playing iTunes lossless ) , our DAC ( preferably a Schiit DAC ) becomes our Phono Cartridge transducer ( not at all quirky or finicky ) transforming all those bits into beautiful music that we can take to a Park Bench if we want or run thru a nice little musical Amp like the Asgard 2 into headphones or GENELEC Studio Monitors and Viola , we have a near perfect musical world , at last !  We finally made it , phew , it took me from the early 1950s and the first 33 Mono Vinyl till a couple of years ago to get this far . I'll tell you right now , I'm not going back !  Not for Nobody nor any money , no-how !!  
  I've admired you lads at Schiit , building the price accessible stuff like you do , supporting a new crop of music lovers , avoiding the Dealer / Sales Rep. marketing , delivering "reliable" non-quirky componants .  I'm not alone in this , I see your stuff in all the Headphone Club coverages and I email fellow Schiit owners from all over the World , I see you as rising up to the Boothroyd Stewart , Igor Levin , dcs and even MSB level .
 Then , out of the blue , you dilute your efforts with Vinyl doings - was dieses ist ?  
  A vinyl pre and a microphonic amp , I hope this trend ends , I have such hopes for you .  

I remain a Schiit Man , maybe not loyal to the end but a Schiit Man ,

Tony in Michigan  

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #7,334 of 13,350
Ok first off I think I'm going to hold off on the Asgard2...A Magni should be able to power anything I'm going to throw at it in the next few years...plus it will be a good work setup when I want to upgrade again. Here is the real questions though what I'm really looking at is the Vali. This thing has really intrigued me and everyone that hears it seems to love it. But I have some questions

First will it pair with my DT770 80s? These have big bass and Ive been told that with a tube amp it may get a bit bloated and out of control. That leads to my next question

How is the bass on the Vali? Extension, amount etc. 

Third and finally if I did get the Vali is the Magni enough of a difference that it would be worth picking up as well? 

Im wondering at this point that maybe the next logical step up from the Magni isnt the Asgard but actually the Lyr.....

None of the Schiit amps are "fat" on the bottom end. Not even the Valhalla, the only all-tube amp they sell. Great amp, sold mine to get a modified Woo, which is 17.773% better. :D

The Asgard/Valhalla/Lyr series is a definite step up from the $100ish amps.. Read their descriptions; they are one of the best companies about straightforward reasons to buy one amp over another. They WILL NOT try to move everyone to their most expensive amp.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #7,335 of 13,350
its november!!!!

i just gotta wait almost 3 weeks for the valhalla 2 + bifrost combo i ordered

its getting closer but still oh so far away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back