Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #7,276 of 13,350
  Thanks Mike for the insight on phono preamps and your Mani. I also didn't know badger spooge was a thing at one point lol. We've come so far.

To jexby, please don't become one of those evil villians whose sole drive is to exterminate all vinyl. I don't want it to die. Plus think about it this way, if civilization survives after a nuclear holocaust, the only music that will still be available (provided it doesn't melt in the initial blasts) is vinyl records and compact discs. Which format will be easier to play then?

Fortunately vinyl isn't going away.  Yes, it's niche, but the niche is large enough to fund new and reissues.  The Bevis Frond (English psych) and Luna (NYC VU-cool
cool.gif
) are doing or planning vinyl reissues, probably on 180g slabs.  And companies are still making TTs.  It's all good.  Post apocalypse, I'll be listening to my vinyl in a stolen Russian fighter jet, complete with tubes 
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #7,277 of 13,350

To jexby, please don't become one of those evil villians whose sole drive is to exterminate all vinyl. I don't want it to die. Plus think about it this way, if civilization survives after a nuclear holocaust, the only music that will still be available (provided it doesn't melt in the initial blasts) is vinyl records and compact discs. Which format will be easier to play then?

I have no desire to raid anyone's basement collection of vinyl slabs and melt them down in a witch hunt.
heck, my dad's 1950s Pacific Coast Jazz LPs are taking up space in my basement.

and can appreciate ThurstonX trying a new solution so he can listen to old (format) tunes, and am glad no one is trying to proselytize vinyl over all.
which begs the question, what am I arguing for?  
biggrin.gif

as stated, to each his own.
but I am glad technology is marching on...

edit:
ps.  post magnetic pulse erasure of digitally stored music, I'd return to playing the 1000s of CDs in my basement.
cd jukebok anyone?

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #7,278 of 13,350
I had a constant buzz + RFI coming through my PC - Gungnir - BH Crack - HD-650. I tried everything; different outlets, moving the router, keeping cell phone away, different power strips etc. Using my laptop on battery got rid of the buzz, but not the RFI. I read on the BH Crack site about the Hum-X device and how it had cured a member's system's ills. If you do a search on there, or with my username, you can find the discourse. So I figured why not. To my relief it worked. Plugged into the Crack, there was still some noise, but plugged into the PC all dastardly interference and buzzing stopped. I removed it from my system after I got the Wyrd as a test, but the noise returned, so be wary about getting a Wyrd to remove this kind of noise.

Were you experiencing hum problems, or intermittent static-y noise, and which on what devices?  This is the only problem I've got with any of my gear.  No hums (except one wonky tube in a pair).  I don't want to invest a lot in things I don't really need.  I'm reading about Stillpoint ERS tape and cloth, but not sure yet if those are worth the cost, much less where and how to apply them. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #7,279 of 13,350
Found the page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/457457/computer-usb-audio-ground-loop-noise/15

There are other solutions put forth on that thread that you can try. A Radioshack cheater plug was mentioned, and that will definitely be cheaper. The reason I didn't go with that is because they are not grounded and the Hum-X is. You could try the Radio Shack version, and if it works, proceed from there based on how much peace of mind you have. Good luck.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #7,280 of 13,350
  I had a constant buzz + RFI coming through my PC - Gungnir - BH Crack - HD-650. I tried everything; different outlets, moving the router, keeping cell phone away, different power strips etc. Using my laptop on battery got rid of the buzz, but not the RFI. I read on the BH Crack site about the Hum-X device and how it had cured a member's system's ills. If you do a search on there, or with my username, you can find the discourse. So I figured why not. To my relief it worked. Plugged into the Crack, there was still some noise, but plugged into the PC all dastardly interference and buzzing stopped. I removed it from my system after I got the Wyrd as a test, but the noise returned, so be wary about getting a Wyrd to remove this kind of noise.

Thanks for clarifying.  I'll do some research into the Hum-X device.  Interesting about plugging the PC into it, esp. in re: to what Ed at phonopreamps.com said about PC PSUs being guilty of poor and/or cheap design.  Since I can test the phono chain with PCs off and unplugged, I'll do that eventually.  If the PC is guilty, I'll definitely consider the Hum-X.

The only reason I'd need the PC running while using the TT would be to record to it.  And I'd only do that if I really wanted to digitize something so I can stick it on my iPod.  That is one reason I moved the TT: digitization was not practical where the TT used to live.

My USB's pretty solid, and I have a Coax Out option on my M-Audio 192 card, so no Wyrd for me.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #7,281 of 13,350
  Found the page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/457457/computer-usb-audio-ground-loop-noise/15

There are other solutions put forth on that thread that you can try. A Radioshack cheater plug was mentioned, and that will definitely be cheaper. The reason I didn't go with that is because they are not grounded and the Hum-X is. You could try the Radio Shack version, and if it works, proceed from there based on how much peace of mind you have. Good luck.

Thanks again 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I'll bore y'all later when more experimenting is done and my hair looks like this:

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #7,283 of 13,350
  Any recommendations on a desktop amp/dac combo that would power my AKG 712 pro's more effectively than a FIIO E17?  Perhaps a Schiit unit?

What's your budget?

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #7,285 of 13,350
  $500 and under

I would probably try to stretch it for Bifrost/Asgard 2 combo. They make a nice stack. That's what I have.

If the budget is really tight, then Modi/Magni combo would be a solid choice in ~$200 range.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #7,286 of 13,350

I would probably try to stretch it for Bifrost/Asgard 2 combo. They make a nice stack. That's what I have.

If the budget is really tight, then Modi/Magni combo would be a solid choice in ~$200 range.

Thanks.  Money isn't that big of an issue for me... I could probably go with Bifrost and Asgard 2 combo but I am going to do more research. Would there be a significant difference between using this combo versus my FIIO E17 on the AKG K712 pros?  

One last question:  I intend to use my AKGs for gaming... could I hook up a Turtle Beach DSS with the Bifrost + Asgard 2 combo and use it on my PS4?

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #7,287 of 13,350
  Thanks.  Money isn't that big of an issue for me... I could probably go with Bifrost and Asgard 2 combo but I am going to do more research. Would there be a significant difference between using this combo versus my FIIO E17 on the AKG K712 pros?  

One last question:  I intend to use my AKGs for gaming... could I hook up a Turtle Beach DSS with the Bifrost + Asgard 2 combo and use it on my PS4?

Well, it depends. Looking at the specs, AKGs don't look particularly hard to drive (high sensitivity, low impedance), so you might not hear a "night and day" difference.

I'm not sure how DSS would fit into this. Having a digital input, it acts as a sort of a DAC by itself.... How are you using it now with a FIIO?

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #7,288 of 13,350
  Any recommendations on a desktop amp/dac combo that would power my AKG 712 pro's more effectively than a FIIO E17?  Perhaps a Schiit unit?

I believe there have been some rave pairings about Vali and the Q701, which should translate to the AKG 712 loving the tubes also.
and that a Wyrd can definitely improve the Modi.

so another option:
Wyrd-->Modi-->Vali

i concur that the sonics of a BiFrost Uber with USB are superb, but the form factor (increased size) might be a bit of a waste if you'll never use the Coax or Optical SPDIF.

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #7,289 of 13,350

Well, it depends. Looking at the specs, AKGs don't look particularly hard to drive (high sensitivity, low impedance), so you might not hear a "night and day" difference.

I'm not sure how DSS would fit into this. Having a digital input, it acts as a sort of a DAC by itself.... How are you using it now with a FIIO?

I am actually not using it, currently I am only using the turtle beach DSS but I have heard from many posters it is better to use a DAC/amp as well.  So I really have no idea how I would go about using a DAC/Amp AND a DSS on my ps4.  If I can figure it out I want to go for the highest quality so a desktop amp + DAC I would assume will be better than my FIIO E17.

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #7,290 of 13,350
  I am actually not using it, currently I am only using the turtle beach DSS but I have heard from many posters it is better to use a DAC/amp as well.  So I really have no idea how I would go about using a DAC/Amp AND a DSS on my ps4.  If I can figure it out I want to go for the highest quality so a desktop amp + DAC I would assume will be better than my FIIO E17.

I would just use a DAC+Amp, without any additional gimmicks and let the PS4 do the surround processing for digital stereo output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back