Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 30, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5,883 of 13,350
I did, it isn't a big deal but it would be nice having a smooth volume control. Also what is the best way with removing tubes to swap them out? The ones that are on now are nearly impossible to get out, any sort of tutorial on how remove tubes?

Use a rubber shelf liner, cheap and great grip. Rock the tube gently while tugging. There is an excellent Lyr Tube Rollers thread, to learn about potential tubes. I am fairly new to the Lyr 2, but I have had good results Volkhod Silver Shield 6N23P's and Amperex Bugle Boys ECC88's, but there are much more experienced Rollers on the Thread.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #5,884 of 13,350
  I did, it isn't a big deal but it would be nice having a smooth volume control. Also what is the best way with removing tubes to swap them out? The ones that are on now are nearly impossible to get out, any sort of tutorial on how remove tubes?

I bought a pair of rubber gloves from the hardware store for about 3 dollars. The top of the gloves are cloth (or spandex material) and the bottom grip part is rubber.

Come to think of it, that could have been a huge improvement on the Lyr 2 in raising the tubes higher, though I would assume that would not only have raised production costs but probably even pushed the safety limits overall of the device?

After awhile, you just get used to it.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #5,887 of 13,350
  The answer is a definite NO for all cables. Typical plastic core cables are bandwidth limited to 5-6MHz which will only support 24/96 in stereo. To go to 192 you need in excess of 9MHz in bandwidth which is only available in glass or quartz fibre-based cables.  Looking at the math without even allowing for headroom to adjust for speed one finds 24 x 8 x 2 x 192KHz = 9.2MHz. 

How do you get 24 x 8 x 2 x 192? 24 bit audio is exactly that, 24 bits. The minimum bitrate for stereo 24/192kHz audio is exactly 2 (channels) *  24 (bits per channel per sample) * 192000 (samples per second) = 9.216 million bits/second.

For those interested about S/PDIF, wikipedia explains the basics

With regards to USB vs TOSLINK s/pdif, realistically USB 2.0 maxes out at about 30 MB/sec = 240 Mb/sec. Furthermore, USB can operate in asynchronous mode which allows it to use its own onboard high quality clock (i.e., jitter is irrelevant). On the other hand, TOSLINK maxes out at 120 Mb/sec and cannot operate purely from it's own clock. Also s/pdif may be limited to 20bit depth, depending on hardware.  Theoretically, USB is definitely a superior interface in terms of data rate and function. TOSLINK permites galvanic isolation which may sometimes be important. In reality, none of these issues are going to matter when human ears are listening. Just choose whatever interface is most convenient for you.

But now you know... (and knowing is half the battle)

Cheers 

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #5,894 of 13,350
  The answer is a definite NO for all cables. Typical plastic core cables are bandwidth limited to 5-6MHz which will only support 24/96 in stereo. To go to 192 you need in excess of 9MHz in bandwidth which is only available in glass or quartz fibre-based cables.  Looking at the math without even allowing for headroom to adjust for speed one finds 24 x 8 x 2 x 192KHz = 9.2MHz. 

So is there a difference between Digital RCA and Toslink?

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #5,895 of 13,350

How do you get 24 x 8 x 2 x 192? 24 bit audio is exactly that, 24 bits. The minimum bitrate for stereo 24/192kHz audio is exactly 2 (channels) *  24 (bits per channel per sample) * 192000 (samples per second) = 9.216 million bits/second.

For those interested about S/PDIF, wikipedia explains the basics

With regards to USB vs TOSLINK s/pdif, realistically USB 2.0 maxes out at about 30 MB/sec = 240 Mb/sec. Furthermore, USB can operate in asynchronous mode which allows it to use its own onboard high quality clock (i.e., jitter is irrelevant). On the other hand, TOSLINK maxes out at 120 Mb/sec and cannot operate purely from it's own clock. Also s/pdif may be limited to 20bit depth, depending on hardware.  Theoretically, USB is definitely a superior interface in terms of data rate and function. TOSLINK permites galvanic isolation which may sometimes be important. In reality, none of these issues are going to matter when human ears are listening. Just choose whatever interface is most convenient for you.

But now you know... (and knowing is half the battle)

Cheers 

I get that value by typing too fast and dealing with too many bytes at work. :wink:  In any case the OP got the correct point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back