Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,351 of 3,541
u hardly have to have a sense to figure out or expect that a company like schiit won't be a ****** and will pay for return shipping on shipping damage. but if u dent it yourself, then u sir have my disrespect.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,354 of 3,541
I currently have the Schiit Lyr with Matsu 6922 tubes with my LCD-2.2, HD-800s, and BD T1s.  I am contemplating upgrading to the Schiit Mjolnir but am not sure if it worth the difference in price.

From what I've read on this board - yes, it appears to be worth the upgrade.

The primary headphones I listen to are the LCD-2.2s followed by the HD-800s.  The T1s are not getting much head time.

Any input on this specific setup in regards to upgrading from the Lyr to the Mjolnir?

I prefer pystrance, dubstep, hip-hop, and rock < - in that order.  I also listen to Alison Krauss, Ellie Goulding, Adele, Joss Stone, etc. and a few other female vocalist.

Thanks in advance for any input! I'll probably try out the Mjolnir any ways because of curiosity, but am interested in HF's feedback on it.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,355 of 3,541
I have the MJ's & the lcd2's
I sold the T1's.
HD800-cant comment..dont own them,or even listened to them.

After using the Lyr/bifrost combinations,with a variety of tubes,ranging from Lorenz..to Ge's,which were all excellent,for about 8 months,all I can say that buying the mjolnir,is the 2nd best purchase I made ,since I started this hobby,last January...#1 being the He-6's.

IMHO,the entire sound presentation has changed,more open,much more detailed,very strong  instrument seperation.
Still have the excellent bass,x2..the lcd's & the MJ,are a perfect marraige.
This combo,lets you forget about the technicalities of the headphones & even comfort {I am not totally happy with the lcd's comfort issue},so,you get totally immersed in the music.
I have music,that I've been listening to since I was a young,but after re-hearing them again,especially some of my Brahms ,it was like hearing it ,for the first time,with 2/3X more clarity.
Just my .02 cents

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #1,356 of 3,541
Quote:
I've seen some weird things happen during shipping. My guess is the power cable plug. Also I just checked the plastic bag thing the amp came in and there is a slight hole in the area where I could see that part of the amp being put in.

Anyway it seems some other employee at Schiit will guide me through the steps on Monday. I guess it wasn't meant to be smooth sailing for me :p The cable and then the dent lol

I speak from experience, since my (original) Mjolnir was damaged in shipping too. One of the corners had a dent similar in size to yours.

I wouldn't blame the power cord. It was in on of those air-bubble plastic bags, right? And that part of the Mjolnir should have been in the foam supports. Look for holes in the foam supports and in the box itself. If you find such holes, which I did, it is plain that something happened in shipping that really shouldn't have happened.

Oh, and I can assure you (and the rest of the world) that customer support from Schiit is top notch.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,357 of 3,541
I had my Mjolnir and Gungnir shipped in the same big box. ha. I can't imagine how damage was done, it's well packaged.
I'd want to know what the box looked like when it was received it.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #1,358 of 3,541
Quote:

I speak from experience, since my (original) Mjolnir was damaged in shipping too. One of the corners had a dent similar in size to yours.

I wouldn't blame the power cord. It was in on of those air-bubble plastic bags, right? And that part of the Mjolnir should have been in the foam supports. Look for holes in the foam supports and in the box itself. If you find such holes, which I did, it is plain that something happened in shipping that really shouldn't have happened.

Oh, and I can assure you (and the rest of the world) that customer support from Schiit is top notch.

I'll have to check that area then when I get home. However I got another email from them and all seems to work out. 

It is nice dealing with a company like Schiit that values good customer service. It's not always about the product but customer service is equally important.

I guess it works out since I have to ship my HD800 cables back after I get them in the mail and would have sucked to ship them back but have the amp just sitting here.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,359 of 3,541
Glad it's getting worked out rawrster. A good look at the shipping carton was my first thought as well, if the amp took a hit in shipping then the box did too.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,360 of 3,541
Right now I'm wondering what kind of ridiculous cable MOT managed to screw the termination up.

Quote:

I'll have to check that area then when I get home. However I got another email from them and all seems to work out. 

It is nice dealing with a company like Schiit that values good customer service. It's not always about the product but customer service is equally important.

I guess it works out since I have to ship my HD800 cables back after I get them in the mail and would have sucked to ship them back but have the amp just sitting here.

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,361 of 3,541
I did check the shipping box and it seems there was some damage to the outside of the box which I did not really notice before. It does seem like the damage to the amp would fit the size of the box damage.

Initial impressions are good but they won't last since I have to return the amp. They definitely are more neutral than the V200 which isn't surprising considering the V200 is a warm amp. I'm thinking if the Mjolnir wins out that I will sell the V200 and then use the funds to buy a balanced dac and then have the Anedio D1 as an all in one unit since the internal amp imo beats out the V200.

This is a very good amp from the 20-30 minutes I've used it so far. I think I would need an amp like this one that would even make me think about selling the V200. Ok I was probably going to sell the V200 anyway but this is making me think about it a bit more. If I really wanted to I guess I could keep both and have two different set ups that sound different which I could do as well I guess...lol

I wish Schiit would offer some kind of options where one could change the led color but that's a minor issue. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #1,362 of 3,541
Quote:
I have the MJ's & the lcd2's
I sold the T1's.
HD800-cant comment..dont own them,or even listened to them.

After using the Lyr/bifrost combinations,with a variety of tubes,ranging from Lorenz..to Ge's,which were all excellent,for about 8 months,all I can say that buying the mjolnir,is the 2nd best purchase I made ,since I started this hobby,last January...#1 being the He-6's.

IMHO,the entire sound presentation has changed,more open,much more detailed,very strong  instrument seperation.
Still have the excellent bass,x2..the lcd's & the MJ,are a perfect marraige.
This combo,lets you forget about the technicalities of the headphones & even comfort {I am not totally happy with the lcd's comfort issue},so,you get totally immersed in the music.
I have music,that I've been listening to since I was a young,but after re-hearing them again,especially some of my Brahms ,it was like hearing it ,for the first time,with 2/3X more clarity.
Just my .02 cents

Thanks for the response.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #1,363 of 3,541
Mjolnir and Q-Cable ordered for the LCD-2.  I'm think I may finally be near my audio nirvana until I can move up to either the LCD-3s or long-term a STAX setup.

Should be a week or so and I'll be able to A/B it against the Lyr.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,365 of 3,541
Quote:
Mjolnir and Q-Cable ordered for the LCD-2.  I'm think I may finally be near my audio nirvana until I can move up to either the LCD-3s or long-term a STAX setup.

Should be a week or so and I'll be able to A/B it against the Lyr.

Awesome! Make sure to post your impressions fo the Q in the appreciation thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back