Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 30, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #6,961 of 23,494

I'd figure the PW's for the fat boys but I'd really like to hear the 'real' Siemens early 60's CCa's...I've only heard the 70's A-frames and I know those aren't the real deal.  I'd love to hear your Tele CCa's and/or your Tele E188CC's.  I'll bet those Tele's would be a marriage made in heaven with my new GEC 6AS7G's power tubes.  Would be so delicately pure and musical.  So many tubes, so little time (and $ hahaha)

Hey like I said, road trip up to Canada and I can make that happen for you. Just remember to bring the twins 
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #6,962 of 23,494
I'd figure the PW's for the fat boys but I'd really like to hear the 'real' Siemens early 60's CCa's...I've only heard the 70's A-frames and I know those aren't the real deal.  I'd love to hear your Tele CCa's and/or your Tele E188CC's.  I'll bet those Tele's would be a marriage made in heaven with my new GEC 6AS7G's power tubes.  Would be so delicately pure and musical.  So many tubes, so little time (and $ hahaha)

I am getting emotional reading these posts! :)

May 30, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #6,964 of 23,494
If you want to give this up go talk to KeithEmo (Tiva) on the Lyr2 thread. He'll explain why there should be no difference between tubes unless your amps are of poor design.
He built amps so he "knows". JJ tubes should do the job! If you read his common sense and believe it- I hear by offer to help you rid yourself of those over priced tubes!
Don't thank me - I am THAT nice!

May 30, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #6,965 of 23,494
I just wish I had read his explanation before I started buying and loving NOS tubes.
I must have a Good imagination!
:wink:

May 30, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #6,966 of 23,494
  Wonderful post Bill. Superb info.

I want to force the Siemens CCa's into your amp one day, as they're incredibly musical sounding German tubes. We can do a Folgers "secret replacement" and see if you notice. I will put them on a diet to slim them down before I swap them in :wink:

+1. Thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge of the Herleens, Bill. I just love them and are on the hunt for a couple of my favorite pairs. Then I can give up my search like Guidostrunk has!

May 30, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #6,967 of 23,494
  +1. Thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge of the Herleens, Bill. I just love them and are on the hunt for a couple of my favorite pairs. Then I can give up my search like Guidostrunk has!

+2 thanks to all for sharing of knowledge.  I've learned a lot on this thread.

May 30, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6,968 of 23,494
  The first pair of Pinched Waists I fluked into was a mixed pair from 1956, one, as Mike referenced, from the Holland Eindhoven factory with the code 7L0 (zero)  6(representing Eindhoven)6K between the pins, like the above-pictured Valvo E88CC CCa

A great post! Very few people have direct experience with so many old and rare 6DJ8-type tubes.

In addition to these, I also roll ECC40 and E80CC/6085. During the late 1940s and up to late 1950's, ECC40 were manufactured in 6 or 7 different factories, two of which were in Eindhoven, factory symbols "4" and "5". These are very fine tubes. Later, production was consolidated to Suresnes and Chartres, and these later tubes are not nearly as good to my ears. The E80CC was manufactured in Eindhoven, factory symbol "4" and Hamburg, factory symbol "D", in the early to mid 1950's, and later, production was consolidated to Heerlen. And again, in my opinion, the early Eindhoven and Hamburg tubes sound better than E80CC later manufactured in Heerlen.

Since it seems that I like the "Eindoven sound", I would really like to be able to hear one of these very early Eindhoven E88CCs compared to my 1961 Heerlen. However, even though my amp uses one driver, the cost of even one of these is beyond my budget. :frowning2: 

May 30, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #6,969 of 23,494

A great post! Very few people have direct experience with so many old and rare 6DJ8-type tubes.

In addition to these, I also roll ECC40 and E80CC/6085. During the late 1940s and up to late 1950's, ECC40 were manufactured in 6 or 7 different factories, two of which were in Eindhoven, factory symbols "4" and "5". These are very fine tubes. Later, production was consolidated to Suresnes and Chartres, and these later tubes are not nearly as good to my ears. The E80CC was manufactured in Eindhoven, factory symbol "4" and Hamburg, factory symbol "D", in the early to mid 1950's, and later, production was consolidated to Heerlen. And again, in my opinion, the early Eindhoven and Hamburg tubes sound better than E80CC later manufactured in Heerlen.

Since it seems that I like the "Eindoven sound", I would really like to be able to hear one of these very early Eindhoven E88CCs compared to my 1961 Heerlen. However, even though my amp uses one driver, the cost of even one of these is beyond my budget. :frowning2: 

Hey just keep your eyes opened.  That Eindhoven/Heerlen pair of PW's I lucked into were advertised incorrectly...seller didn't know what he had.  I got the pair for $225, an unbelievable steal !

May 30, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #6,970 of 23,494
  I want to hear an Eindhoven tube. Want to hear how it compares to Heerlen. Billllll?

Also, why were the first E88CC's made there, and then moved? Anyone know?

Eindhoven was the centre of the Philips universe with many plants and research labs. Most of the development work took place there. It is likely that they ran a sort of a pre-production series in Eindhoven and then moved production to Heerlen (and elsewhere).

May 30, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #6,971 of 23,494
May 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #6,972 of 23,494

Remember the Girls of Philips?

1. http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/2955#post_10867000

According to that, the Heerlen (Molenberg) tube plant opened in 1952. However, they had already started at a school (!) nearby in 1948.

How could I have forgotten about the Girls of Philips? lol :)

So yes indeed, I need to correct my memory... Heerlen opened in 1952. And in a few more years it became Philips' preeminent receiving tube factory in Holland, eventually replacing those in Eindhoven, Sittard and perhaps others...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back